Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Jackee--- If you ever did a "mass mailing" to all of your contacts there is a chance that one of those that you sent it to would have the entire list in their email file. Ask around to those you can think to check for one of your emails that would have had all the addressees on the email!! Just a chance?

2. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

i was not aware that MIKE SMITH had left us ! more info.please . thanks JAKE

3. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Terry Welsh informed me Mike passed away a few years ago. He was killed in an auto accident. Very sad..........

4. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Matt,
    Your PM Message,,,,,,,,,,no good.

The 68' Dart 440's (only a handful made) could only run in SS/EA in 1968.
    The 68' Hurst/Olds 455/390 HP could run in C/SA or SS/EA in 1968.

SS & DI tested both cars. I'll try to find the specs and results.

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Hello Ted! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts and memories with us. Yes indeed, this thread just keeps getting better.

This (then) 16-year-old, car-crazed Mopar and drag racing fan remembers very well when Project Six Pack was introduced in one Super Stock & Drag Illustrated issue in late Fall of 1972. I really enjoyed that series and couldn't wait to read the next installment!

One thing I learned from that build-up and later utilized during a rebuild of a 1968 426 Street HEMI and race 440 engine in the mid-1980s, was the cylinder head services of G.A.R.S. Automotive in Trenton, NJ, around the corner and down the street from Trenton Speed Shop. I believe the proprietor's name was Mike Howzen.

Great idea on the tribute car in spite of it being a 4-dr. :) Clean 2-door Mopar hardtops and sedans aren't as prevalent nor dirt cheap like they used to be!

All the best,

Pete

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

From an eBay ad...

[​IMG]

Any info on the "Jiffy" 1957 Chevy?

Pete

7. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Matt,

SS & DI Test Results

1968 Hurst/Olds 455/390 HP
    w/3.91 gears,,,,13.77
    w/3.42 gears,,,,14.20

1968 Dodge Dart GSS 440
    w/4.33 gears,,,,13.30 @ 107mph

8. boss351

boss351
    from montreal

hi ,folks,i want to know if george howcroft e/sa record holder , black and gold olds from rochester ny , is it pass away or alive ,thanks

9. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Matt,

1970 National Records
    D/S Norman Fryer (1966 Chevrolet 427) 11.87
    D/SA Pete Tritak (1964 Plymouth Max-Wedge) 11.86

9.00-9.49 wt/hp break.

10. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Paul do you have a copy of the Stock records posted in ND from after Sept. 1970? We set the record in Sept. at Atco that year and I haven't seen that for many years. I don't even have a copy hanging on my wall like I used to....My partner had it and I have not seen him for sometime....

I had old ND's for years but tossed them out a long time ago....They turn brown!

11. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Rich,

I'll search,,,,,,what was it H/Stock.
    Mr. Rotunda held H/Stock for a while with a 12.46 (with the 61' Corvette)
    And MPH was 110.29

My friend ran a 65' Dodge Model 440 with a 383/330 HP in H/S.
    Got stuck in the 13.10's,,,,,,,,,,'well at least it was OK on the street'

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  12. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Yes H/S. Our car went 12.26 on it's 3rd run at E-town that spring at 112 or 113. We also ran over 114mph at York and in the 12.20's. We did not get the record at York.....We set both ends but were not given a backup as time ran out that day. We went 12.20 something at well over 113 on a record run. We never did set the mph end.......I think an Olds held it.....not sure.

The Rotunda Corvette was nice and it was fast. I think the old 'Vette's were pretty much done by the time the 350's came along....
    I recall being told that if we backed up the record at Atco......the Rotunda car would go a tenth faster and bury it......I think it was mostly BS because I never saw that car run what was claimed......We spent all summer trying to set it.....and finally got it at the last race.

13. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Rich,

H/S,,,,MPH Record by a 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible 350/325 HP,,,,,,,,???
    @ 111.44

14. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

coulda been Waibles ex-Smothers Bros car? dont remember how long he had it after the 69 season? Colesy??

15. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

12.46 110.29 records were current when we first built our car. The record soon went to 12.35 and I believe Tom Elk set it with a car identical to ours. I was thinking Jack Marks Olds might have also had it for a while. I think the mph record went up to 112+ and we did not eclipse that at Atco. Our car ran 112 usually in decent air as long as it had fresh valve springs. One or two missed gears and those springs were toast.......and we lost a couple mph.....ran a lot of 110's

16. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Guys and Gals, The new Hemmings Muscle Machines has a write-up on the '68 Spring Nats. And............ I know it's early but, who is going (and hopefully taking their car) to York this year? I think I'll call Darwin and sign up. Until next time..... Dave.

17. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

RICH

Here's a photo of the Sept 70 records at atco.

Lou LAW

Attached Files:

18. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Thanks Lou......I will copy it and print it. I haven't seen that in many years.

I raced a lot of cars over many years and still feel setting a record is one of my best accomplishments in drag racing.....

Some people did it many times but for us it was just once and we had many setbacks before we finally got it.....Rich...

19. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

My memory is strained a bit trying to remember the 1970 season. We took the Witchcraft car to Suffolk in April and set the record. I remember Fred Suloff begging Charlie "Please let me have the record, I've been busting my dick to get it."

We hit the record again at Atco, but were second quickest. Tony Pizzi had a guy they called Sycamore working for him. Sycamore and I went on a grub run while Tony was in tear-down with his car and the Jeanetti-Wood B/S car and Charlie waited outside to see if the Q/S car was legal. It must have been around 11.00 PM when Greggie came outside and asked "Mr. Hampp, can I see your carburetor?" He looked under the hood and said "Yep, he's legal."

Don't remember who it was that got the record, maybe Bob Beckert. Whoever it was only had it for a few weeks since it was set again in Oct.

Attached Files:

20. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Stick around this thread long enough and you'll get your questions answered even if it's in a round about way. Somewhere about 200 posts ago I asked if anyone new of 2 Corvettes that ran in the northeast, one was lavender colored and called "Sweet Ride" which turned out to be the car Lou Couviello bought and the other was "Banana I " yellow and had the class (I/S) painted inside a Chevy outline on the door. Looking through the record sheet Lou put up it hit me who it was...John Novak.

21. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

When John Novak set that record in I/S it pretty much made everyone un competetive in the class for a while...

There was a guy with a 350 Camaro Convertible that ran I/S and he couldn't run that fast. He raced out of T/K's I believe and his name was Ward Snyder. We borrowed a carb from him I think once to try and it was good. I think he ran some 12.30s but usually slower. Novak's record was fast.....We were at the race he set it at and went 12.20's and our speeds were about 2 mph faster than average....That was the race we did not get to make a backup run.......the traction was real good and so was the air....

A few months later at the first SummerNationals there (York) it was a totally different story....hot and we spun the tires bad on 2 of 3 qualifying runs.....

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  22. running bear

running bear

hi dave,,, did you see post 9996,,, sonny had a 57 chevy????

23. running bear

running bear

post 9096

24. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

He also raced a 64 Max Wedge Plymouth :eek: Belvedere hardtop. It was called the "Pink Panther".

25. SMITH&WELSH

SMITH&WELSH

I think sonnys 57 Chevy was John Archambault old Sedan Delv. The 64 Ply was the old Marrota & Owens Pink Panther.

26. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Theres a pic of Freeman in the ex-archambault "Hydrophobia" Delivery in an earlier thread. He didnt change much on it -- looks almost exactly like it was Archie's@

27. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I never knew he had the '57---I thought it may have been a misprint about his '59. I knew about the "Pink Panther". I have a couple photos of the '59 but unfortunately I am unable to post them here. There is one of that car on SmugMug and I think it is in the "George Cureton" collection. He also had a '59 Sedan Delivery that was an old Carrol Fuel fleet vehicle that he turned into a race car. Does anybody know the post # of the pic of him owning and driving "Hydrophobia"----I don't recall seeing his name listed at any time on any pics of that car. Glad to hear some more about him. And for what it's worth, her name is "Therese" not "Theresa" and her name appeard on several of their cars. She is listed several times in some old "Drag News" as class champion. There were times when they had two different cars from Anderson at the track the same day---The race 442 (pre W31) and his company demo. I even have a "Drag News" were they had two different Anderson cars at two different TRACKS the same day. Sometimes they had class wins in both cars so Anderson got some good ink. He even had "Anderson Olds" lettered on his '59 Chevy. Soooooooo........who's going to York in July?????

28. bayboar1

bayboar1
    from arizona

Lew,
    Can you tell were I can find the same list from ND for Sept.71. My partner Ed Franks and I set the k/sa record and I too would like to have a copy. That was a blast!
    Gene

29. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

FF,

In 1968 Wild Bill Shrewsberry did run a 1968 Dart GTS 340 in E/Stock.
    Sponsored by the Los Angeles County Dodge Dealers.

Also, Chuck Poole ran a 1968 Hemi Barracuda in SS/BA, sponsored by Arden Chrysler-Plymouth, out of Sacramento, California.

Both cars were run only a short period.

Also, Bill Shrewsberry did drive the Sox & Martin 1968 440 GTX at the 68' Indy Nationals.
    And won class in SS/F.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  30. rlpagan

rlpagan

Hay Terry Bell, If you talk to Sonny ask him if the Alum front end came with the car ? Then ask what color it was !? [RED]