Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Week...going for lowest tech award...hoisting engine.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adjustablejohnsons, Mar 3, 2011.

1. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I'd end up selling the car cause I could never figure out where those other two damn belts were supposed to go after install!

2. KAJRIP

KAJRIP

why waste those good belts, lift it by the plug wires!:D

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

So do HAMB rock climbers use chain as well? There are lots of other ways of doing things besides using chain. I have seen chains break.

4. RichG

RichG

I'd love to have that flathead... but I don't have any fan belts, can I use yours?:D

Chains, slings, fanbelts, whatever: if they're in good shape and haven't been abused, then there's not much difference between them, in my mind. Granted, the fanbelts not being used for its intended purpose, but hell, I've used 'em for a belt in my pants more than once, and they held them dungarees up real good!

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I like the idea. assuming the belts are in good condition.

they are certainly strong enough when used as the OP showed us
    they aren't going to scuff the valve covers, etc.
    by wrapping them around the manifold, the hassle of finding bolts is removed
    I always worried about the bolts shearing...they are at strange angles at times.

thumbs up from me

6. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

I've done this before. You guys are a bunch of pussies. I pulled a 4.0 SOHC Ford motor out of an explorer with two serpentine belt, it was way easier and faster than putting a chain on.

7. fosheezie

fosheezie
    from las vegas

not gonna lie that was pretty damn funny

8. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Scary stuff...........

9. Some folks are comfortable with no front brakes.
    Some folks are comfortable with riding a motorcycle w/o a helmet.
    Some weld w/o a hood.
    Some will nail a skank.
    I'm OK with my belts.

10. Now that's about as backyard as it gets. I always wondered what to use all those old fanbelts that don't fit anything for. ;)

I may not use that trick in the very near future but I can see that working in a pinch and I do get in a pinch on occaision.

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Now that there is funny!

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What's next, panty hose? This is'nt "going for the lowest tech award", this is the NO TECH approach. IF they were brand new belts, MAYBE, but anything that's been overused, exposed to the elements, and of questionable beginnings................there just ain't no way I'd even consider that approach. I have some ambulance, spine board, nylon, tie downs (think seat belt webbing) that I have used, and even they stretch. I spent 36 years in health care, and the things I've seen, this is right up there with them. " Yeah Dr., I was using these fan belts to pull a motor, and I just don't understand why you just can't sew my hand back on". Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have done this in a pinch with success and although I wouldn't tell you to do it, it does work.
    A man does what he has to do, I have done worse

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Bunch of Nancy boys.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look again. They're looped around the exhaust manifolds.

Using the belts doesn't scare me as much as the folks who use a single short length of chain and lift from the center of it. The sharp angle of the chain to the lifting point results in really multiplying the strain that the chain and the bolts it is attached with are subjected to. Even if it's at a 45 degree angle, you're putting a lot of extra strain on that chain and bolts.

16. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Seems pretty traditional to me.
    Especially if they are flathead belts.

17. bdk1976

bdk1976

I guess I'm missing out on the big safety concern. Whether you're using fan belts, seat belts, chain, or dental floss to lift an engine, you should NEVER have any of your body parts under the engine when you are lifting it.

One might even argue that this method might even be SAFER from an injury standpoint, since you're probably more aware of a possibility of failure and would be more careful when using it.

18. von Dyck

von Dyck

Have seen fan belts used in automotive machine shops as slings to lift industrial engine crankshafts. Does not mar the machined journals.
    Anyone else ever wonder about how well the cables are crimped on drive-on hoists?

19. That's exactly where I learned this. Every block in the shop got handled this way from bake/blast/tumble to assembly.

20. Hell ya want low tech, use seat belts, especially if your in a junk yard.. there's millions of em, I wouldn't trust fan belts, ya never know how dry rotted the nylon cords are inside of em..... but really, how much is a chain? I got a 30' 3 ton or so chain from harbor freight for like $15. I am one of the cheapest bastards there is, and even I have a chain.

21. Greezeball

Greezeball

Bingo!! We have a winner! Ever seen a hydraulic cylinder fail on a lift or jack. Oh ya just on a coffee break at work and when I'm done I'm going to go lift 15 metric tonnes with 4 2" cloth lifting straps but don't worry the cappacity of the straps is 9,000lbs each. But I'm still not going to stand under it.:rolleyes: Chains are shit! and extremely dangerous as you can not visually inspect them for cracks when a strap or belt is frayed or cracked it is plain as day. We are not allowed to use chain for lifting I would be unemployed if I did. Those of you using chains need to adjust your thinking.

22. why waste your time, just unbolt everything, get a couple of buddies, have em flip the car upside down and shake it, and the engine usually falls out.

23. budd

budd

looks like a fun way to spend an afternoon doing "test to distruction" see how many engines you can hold till the belts break, i have changed many engines with old cable come-alongs, slow and steady, havent droped an engine yet.

24. Unbolt? Surely you meant to say torch.

25. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

good god i hope this thread is a joke, because if you actaully think that....
    you know what ,nevermind.

26. No, its real, especially my post.. we flip cars over, or even better if you can find an allready flipped over car.. its just that much easier, all you need is a good bottle jack. thats how we got the motor out of this one
    [​IMG]

27. johnboy13

johnboy13

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorance and arrogance usually go hand in hand. Great post, thanks for the tip.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  28. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Wow this place is full of sissies. 90% of these negative nancys have probably only yanked a motor or two in their lifetime. You think that 1 single bolt on your cherry picker holding that chain is any stronger than a couple of belts? How about that chinese made hook?

A junkyard back home would yank engines with their forklift. They'd put a couple belts around the exhaust manifolds and lift. Quick & easy.

29. Greezeball

Greezeball

You're generous I would bet nothing bigger than a loaf of bread.