Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many pairs of "Vise Grips" do you own???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Less than I did this weekend...those suckers grow legs and wander off!

2. paintcan54

paintcan54

I have about every size and shape they make, I even carry 2 or 3 pairs of them in all my cars, even the family rides never know when you may need them.

3. AntiBling

AntiBling

At least this thread isn't a complete waste of bandwidth, cool organizer, I was thinking of making some locking cabinets to hang mine in but I like your idea better.

4. budd

budd

i have about 24 pairs, mostly 6R , i have a wish, 4R, they make 4SP but no 4R?

5. Guten i Norge

Guten i Norge
    from Norway

Well well.... we in Europa have many brands like Scan Grip from Denmark I guess.... My favored pliers in car bodies, and the original the Wise one I do have some of too... In total 30-40 pieces...

Once a toolaholic, always a toolaholic.. and just love it the way it is... all the way!

Greeting from Norway
    Orvar

6. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

in my auto body area there must be 24 or so. In my tool boxes none. After dealing with my dad and brothers one size fits all wrenches on the farm growing up I have no use for vice grips or adjustable wrenches when turning bolts.

7. I have also carried the smallest curved jaw in my pocket for many years. Counted 40 pairs at work today. Don't know how many I have in my home tool box, probably 20 or more.

8. 4-pot

4-pot

Went out to count them this afternoon and could only find 66 pair. Guess I'll have to clean up the mess in the unheated shop to find the rest.

9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Probably about 40-50 counting welding clamps. Since Irwin closed down in Neb. I buy all I find at yard sales and auctions. I also have a local farm store where I can still get new springs for them.

10. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have all original Vice Grip Brand, And I have as many as I need!

12. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

i got 18 all togather

13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

How did you know I bought two more pair tonight???
    Tractor Supply is the devil :rolleyes:

14. Besides about 20 pairs...This is a TRUE STORY- Fishing up in the Sierra Nevada mountains with a buddy for a weekend.we're the only ones there. He's snoozing in the afternoon as I sit at the mouth of a river. My line pulls hard. I set the hook,and the battle is on. Usually a 16-18'' rainbow or brown is the catch. I see a big shiny flash,and my drag is pulling.I'm stoked,and trying not to loose this "monster".I'm yelling for him to see....
    Low and behold- a 6'' pair of "vise grips"!:confused: No Shit! They hang in the garage with the date attatched. This REALLY HAPPENED!

15. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

I can't pass them up at garage sales when they are $2 bucks apiece. It's almost a sickness. 52 pieces.

16. HuffDaddy

HuffDaddy

I have a drawer full.

17. Bought a lot of them at the "seconds store" in downtown Dewitt, Nebraska when they still were made here in the good old USA. Dewitt is a small town and Vise grips probably took up 2/3's of downtown Dewitt before they closed it down a couple years ago. They were ultra cheap too. I probably bought 40 pairs to go with my dozen or so I had previously.

18. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

I have over 75 pair of all different styles, funny I am still always looking for a pair. Some I know are 20 years old,What a great tool usa usa usa! some one said they are going to out sourcing over seas, then what will we buy thats worth-A-shitt?

19. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

Where do you get them self pulling/swimming grips ha ha ! great story

20. burnout2614

burnout2614

Only have 19 pair, and that includes the shower knob and the shifter on the dirt bike. peace

21. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Somewhere around a couple dozen, leave a bunch scattered around where they are handy within reach when needed. With the exception of 1 surviving pr of 50+ year old Craftsmen all are Nebraska. The knock offs just don't cut it, gave up wasting my money on them years ago. When I saw [here on the HAMB] Irwin was taking mfg off shore I started buying more new USA old stock whenever I see them and can afford it. Have always and will continue to pick 'em up at swaps and yard/tag sales when I spot 'em at a good price for the condtion. Never have enough, use 'em for everything except nuts 'n bolts unless they are already rounded over.

Ed

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've always wondered that same thing about certain tools that are called "pair" such as pliers, channel locks, side cutters, etc.

23. alexelchingon

alexelchingon

i have a visegrip fetish, whenever i see one at the swapmeet, i buy em, but not the new visegrips that are made by Irwin,those are garbage, the old visegrips are bulletproof and will last forever

24. realkustom51

realkustom51

The visegrip drawer quit closing about 15 years ago.

[​IMG]

25. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

After reading this thread, I don't have near enough.