Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flint RPU project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedcoupe, Feb 14, 2011.

1. I'm probably in over my head here but I'm going to give this a try. I am building a roadster pickup. I've started with a 1929 roadster cowl and I am hand building the rest. I drive about 6000 miles a year in a 1932 Ford 3 window and the thought of riding in a roadster sounds like fun. Waking up in Pigeon Forge on a rainy cool September morning and driving home 9 hours does not. So I'm attempting to build cabriolet pickup. I bought a title in Hershey a couple of years ago for a 1926 Flint hence the name. The doors have been lenthend 2 inches and the rear of the cab has been laid bach
    k 7 degrees. I can sit in the cab against 4 inches of foam and cant reach the firewall with my feet. I made a steel door frame that I hinged and latched and I will skin that with a model A Tudor skin. The reveal at the top of the door is made up on the brake just like the rest of the body panels that I made. I had some 1/8 plate bent into 2x5x2 channel that will be used to fabricate a frame. The tapered pieces in the pictures will be the rear kick up and I will tapper the front to resemble a deuce chassis. The axle will be sprung off the 46 dog leg wishbones with the axle in front of the grill shell. It will be a High Boy with small block and 5 speed. Tires and wheels are Firestone dirt trackers and polished salt flats. Don't beat me up to bad this is my first try at a post of this size. I've built many cars in my 62 years just building body like this in new to me but its cheaper the buying one. The windshield is laid back the same amount as the back of the body and I am going to use 80's style Toyota mechanical window regulators. Wish me luck. I will try to keep posting as work progresses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It looks to be a damn good start on what sounds like an ambitious project! Good luck and keep going! I will keep my eyes open when you get to the Toyota window regulators.

3. moffetkustoms

moffetkustoms
    from granby, mo

Wow! Thats quite a project you have goin on there. It really looks awsome tho. Great work.

4. hasty

hasty

Nice start. Keep us posted

5. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

Very nice start

I hope show my poryect in a few weeks.

i am starting doing doors from scratch, an using an old tank and old cowl posts as a begining, have fond some dimension to make a closed cab pu.

Let me show my work as soon as i finish my bead roller and have some cab parts finished.

Regards, Luis

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting project. Looks like you are doing a fantastic job, don't beat yourself up about it! Gary

7. spike38

spike38

Great build!:)
    Keep to pics and updates coming.

Spike:D

8. bhurlin

bhurlin
    from Texas

Wow, that is great, can you tell us the height of the windhshield in the center?

[​IMG]

9. Very nice project. Keep the pictures coming.

Charlie

10. The height of the center of the windshield is 7.5 inches

11. drilledandfinned

drilledandfinned

Looking great man!!

12. Troyz

Troyz

looks like you're giving yourself some decent legroom in there.

13. Cymro

Cymro

Very interesting project, keep us posted, good luck.

14. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

Will, Lookin great!! I can't wait to see it on the road.

15. So.......will we see you running around in it this summer??!!:)

16. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Anymore progress on this project? Great idea, looking good!

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm from Flint....know a guy with a Flint....updates are a must!