Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Week...going for lowest tech award...hoisting engine.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adjustablejohnsons, Mar 3, 2011.

1. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

A bunch of people here at the wreaking yards use coat hangers, the wire kind.

2. Always something to learn on the HAMB!

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Now just who in the hell gave this great thred only one star???
    This is awesome, I'm LMAO!!! :D

Ok, so not the greatest idea, I'll give you guys that one, but you all know your thinking about how you could use it.

4. This reminds me of the time in the USAF, when I paid my $5.00 to enter the office door Xmas decorating contest. I thought I had a sure winner with Bah! Humbug scrawled on a 3 X 5 card. Guess I shoulda used a bigger card.

5. How 'bout some points for the patina on the 8BA?

6. gsport

gsport

hmmmmm.... i wonder if you could use a bungee cord and pull on it till it just kinda bounces out?? naww, that's scary too

7. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I've used fan belts too. These guys are just pussies.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

what's next, rubber bands, belts?

9. Seems everyone is afraid of everything any more.....I'll bet those belts are stronger than a cheap chinese made chain...:eek:

10. I wonder if I can take out insurance on you......almost a sure bet

11. drfreeze

drfreeze

Yea it will work .....I've seen the guys in the wrecking yard use seat belts too, but just in case it goes bad make sure you have your cell phone in your hand so you can dial 911 !

12. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

3' of chain cost $5 at Ace. and I've never seen a 5 year old chain split apart. can you say the same for a junkyard v belt?

13. Ace sells grade 80 hardened steel chain for $1.70 a foot?

14. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Actually there are times when your belt idea is the right tool Ive been using belts in various ways to lift for years they are hell for strong. Used them to lift and move my air compressor. and various engines for years!

15. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

Hey Beers,

These guys have no imagination. I'm working on a tech for my home built jack stands... Check it out!

[​IMG]

LOL Just messin' with ya!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  16. F&J

F&J

X2... and the ones that are not thinking of using the idea on other lighter, but odd shaped car items, are either the real Darwins, or they never build or do anything.

17. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I don't see a problem , I wouldn't get under it but I do a lot of dumb shit.

18. I've broken plenty fan belts, but never a seat belt.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

bingo....

20. old bone

old bone
    from maine

I like it!!...can't wait to show Dad...he will be so pissed off at me..but it do the math..this guy is right..im gonna try it with just 1 instead or 2...ha and look at all the responses ..most of the negative ned's just wish they though of it first!!!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

21. 6inarow

6inarow

Very few people "deserve" to be killed.

Indian Larry suffered the consequences of a bad decision that lead to his death. Nothing inherently evil about riding a motorcycle like that so he didnt "deserve" to die

22. deucegasser

deucegasser

Speakin' of GREAT tech and jackstands. Can see some pics of those high tech concrete blocks in action????

23. pitman

pitman

Ya mean tipped sideways?
    I ben scared of 3 web "columns," too many lurking under cars!

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you use new fan belts I'll go along with your tech. Ever turned a used belt over and flexed it the opposite direction? SCARY just begines to describe the possible out comes.

Frank

25. There is just one belt on each side of the engine. Passed one end of the belt down through the manifold, back up through the manifold, and bring the ends together.

Nothing wrong with being negative about it...individual choice.

26. I think I'll take a Harbor Freight cherry picker over the fan belt trick anyday.
    Of course.........It's not low tech then.

27. HambBurglar

HambBurglar
    from Cincinnati

Wow, I'm on my third dog beer and that still looks scary!

28. Funny. I've used this method a few times and a chain a lot more....I've had a chain break with a engine on it, but not a belt......just saying.

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Problem I would have is that I will ALWAYS forget to unbolt the engine so I end up lifting whole car.

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the only thing that caught me , was the belts are only around the head stud nutz . slipery slope i believe .............. steve