Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering the front of a 58 Edsel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shainerman, Feb 28, 2011.

1. shainerman

shainerman

Ive been doing a lot of research and found a few different avenues, but still have one main question: if I run Granada spindles, do I have to swap to disk brakes or can I retain my factory drums? I am already lowered with Aerostar coils and its pretty low, but Im an American, therefore I want more. Heres how it sits now:

[​IMG]

Heres where I want it:

[​IMG]

2. herb65

herb65
    from iowa

On the Granada spindles are there the four holes to mount the drum brake backing plate? What I have seen before is to take the existing spindles and cut and move the spindle up to lower the car and maintain the suspension movement.Herb.

3. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

how about ridetech shockwaves ??
    I quess 60-64 Galaxie shockwaves fits ok ?
    Won`t go low enough for you ?

4. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

fatman also sells drop spindles, they said to me, you must use disc brakes too...

5. Two words.........

AIRCRAFT HYDRAULICS!!!

6. shainerman

shainerman

yeah, my dude, haha. Mitchell, thats a road I may cross in the future. For now I want to have a lowered stance that is the envy of everyone. I dig bags and lifted cars, but it almost seems too easy (and too much $) Theres something satisfying about a killer stance without bags or juice.

7. I hear ya! I am also going to try to lower the '59 some more when I get it. Maybe later on when I get some cash it will be lifted. In the meantime low & slow the old school way!

8. I think it looks good the way it sits.Skirted cars should be lower in back.

9. GAL60

GAL60

That is a great looking car. Tail Draggers are the best. I would make the conversion to disk brakes if you can. Old school is cool, crashing is not, trust me I’ve been there. Drop-em and Stop-em makes some conversion kits that include both the dropped spindles with the brakes. Decent price all things considered. Just don't do what I did and buy them from ECI. They are a good product but won’t work with dropped spindles. That being said, I would save, bag the damn thing, and be done with it. I did the very low old school drop on my 53' Customline and was very unhappy with the way the car rode. It bottomed out just driving over a man-hole cover.-Jim

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  10. shainerman

shainerman

yeah, im bringing the back down first and foremost. skirted cars are NOT allowed to show wheel in the back

11. GAL60

GAL60

That is the truest thing I have ever read on this site!

12. I dunno Mitch. If you want it lower, you'll have to go with bags. It's as low as it will go. In the front anyway. I cut 2 1/2 coils out of there.

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Dude,, that car has way to much style and class to be yours.:D

14. shainerman

shainerman

im trying to trick em all Jay! Im thinking of heading up your way on the weekend of the 12th, let me know whats up

15. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Have you considered large water ballasts???

Hahahaha Are you gonna do disc or not? I'm waiting this one out so I can do it the easy way once you figure it out.

16. shainerman

shainerman

man, im not sure. It seems like the right thing to do. Its all going to come down to the cost as far as when im going to do it.

17. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

where did you get that photo of that 1958 Ford Fairlane ?

18. shainerman

shainerman

no idea Bill. The stance is perfect though

19. maybe Z the front of the frame, no bags involved. I know the frame stick past the body about 2 inches on those years, and that Fairlanes got about 3-4 inches of clearance, so it must have a Z'd frame, Channel or bags, or a very stiff suspension in the front.

20. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

If you're just looking for a cheap inch or two, I would just add a spacer between the lower spring cup and the a-arm, using either a solid piece or square tubing (not my pics).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

In my opinion, I like the current stance. Of course a 58 Edsel is my dream car, so I tend to not like radical changes.

This is my perfect one.
    [​IMG]

22. shainerman

shainerman

Thats a beauty! Do you have any other pictures of that car!?!?! And echo, your setup is the same as my shoebox. I think my bottom arm is all one piece on the Edsel. That was the first thing I thought of too.

23. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Yep, here you go. I found it on eBay YEARS ago and fell in love. Saved every picture of it and keeping a vigilant eye out for it still. I'd love to know what happened to it because I have vowed to own it one day.

http://img822.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=5801o.jpg

24. A-Y8

A-Y8
    from Sweden

Looks awsome!!!

Regarding Edsel lowering, Im installing aerostar springs and 4" blocks and lakepipes on my car. Wouldnt go mutch lower with traditional lowering. There wouldnt be any drivability left. Been there...

25. I will probably leave it the way you built it for a while. Someday when I run into money however I would like to lift it with N.O.S. aircraft hydraulics!

26. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

This is like 1.5 Coils and 3" Blocks in the back is all. and it rides good.

[​IMG]

27. shainerman

shainerman

Mitchell, im buying a front pump setup this weekend. You DO NOT want to be as low as I am without lifts. I get stuck everywhere. Literally high centered and i have to get out, leave the car in drive, and lift up on the roof. The cragars dropped me like another 1.5 inches.

28. shainerman

shainerman

and A-Y8, I dont recommend running anything bigger than a 3 inch block on the Edsel, too much axle wrap. Ask me how I know... mine is on 3 inch blocks in back and I have lakes.

29. A-Y8

A-Y8
    from Sweden

Does edsels get more axle wrap than 58 fords because they are heavier?
    Is´nt 4 inch blocks common on fords with the same chassi?

30. 58EDDIE

58EDDIE
    from CALIFORNIA

What do you mean by 1.5 coils?