Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do own or drive a FED ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ragtop49, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Closed Thread

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

I don't own or drive an FED or Altered, but getting an FED into the 10's should be very easy. I have been the crew chief on a nitro nostalgia funny car for about 10 years and we also run it as a fuel altered. Get a rule book from NHRA, IHRA or any nostalgia organization and the rules as far as getting a license will be spelled out. For nitro cars the licensing procedure is pretty long and drawn out, but for what you want to do it should be much easier. Keep us posted.

3. Yes I don't want to get into chassis certification even though its for safety and a must for quicker cars and I don't want license for 9 seconds. Im looking to go out and have some fun. Im looking more for what to expect in the driving experience

Thanks

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

5. WOW ! Thanks for the tip been a HAMB Member for a while I never knew this was even here

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  6. the feds around here wheel base are in the 150" to 160" go straight running low 9s mid 8s on tires from 9x30 -12x31 to us running 10.5x33 motors from 355" -434"sbc no wheelie bars
    the big difference is that it will react faster than your door slammer with the same motor and you'll hear everything much louder and you'll have the wind in your face

7. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I have a 120"Chassis Research Dragster which I built in the late '60s. There is a BIG difference between open wheel cars and door slammers.

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Dragsters still have to meet spec. the only difference is that they dont need the anual cert. . But even that can change and they could start certing cars running below 12 sec.

Attached Files:

9. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

I have a 175" FED. I hadn't been down a dragstrip for 30 years before I climbed into it. Heres what I say about the experence, it is freaking awsum! The openess of the drivers compartment lets you see, feel and hear everything. I feel very safe strapped in and my car drives like a dream. So far I have 9.09 at 147 and have made 18 passes in it. I can't wait to get back in it and start racing. Dragster chassis seem to sell pretty cheap so my vote is to get you a FED.

10. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Nothing else like it.. Phuckin Awesome!!!

11. paintcan54

paintcan54

I have a 142" ( K-88 streached) Chassis Research dragster 350/350 combo ran 9:90 at 140 in the quarter drove like a dream, nothing like setting behind the motor and legs over the rear axel with wind in your face. You will love it.

12. rooman

rooman

In the late 60's/early 70's I drove a six cylinder dragster that ran in the low 11's/high10's and it was a blast--not ultra fast but lots of fun being out in the fresh air.
    Last year I got my fuel license in Dan Horan's NT/F car. My first half pass was an 8.98 at 98 mph and I shut it off at 600feet and let it coast from there. I eventually went 6.200 at 222 mph at the CHRR event in October. It is a drug of the worst kind and once you get hooked you just want more.

Roo

13. Very Cool guys Im getting excited like teenager seeing his frist Boobie !! LOL

14. rick finch

rick finch

Once you try it, you'll NEVER go back.....:D

15. DRAGSTER_JOHN

DRAGSTER_JOHN

i have a 175 inch 1967 davis FED, its a blast to drive, first time on the track i took it real easy as to get a feel for the steering, driver placement and handling characteristics , my best carbed on gas with a 360ci sbc was 8.87@152mph, with a bad 60ft, im now rebuilding my engine to be a 396 stroker with 14-1 comp ect. on alky injection, should be in the 8.08-8.15 range at approx 166-169mph, cant wait to get it back together and start running, it is a very addicting sensation, the zoomies in the face, the wind, the front wheels seemingly being way out there, to many good things to list... its just way kool, big titties!! lol.. :)

16. finally returned to a track with a wheelie bar added a 1/4 at Napierville first time there and only the second time on a 1/4 car went straight lifting the frt wheels 6"-8" the wheelie bar touched lightly adjusted 3" from the ground and is spring loaded made only 2 runs broke the band in the trans broke. ran the 1/8 in 5.74in and 1/4 -8.84 burnt an ground strap on a plug. repairing the trans and will make the last nostalgia race at Sanair on Oct 24th ?and will be faster. thanks to Lippy and the others that helped