Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. AllenK

AllenK

Sorry for the O/T. I just have a passion for those types of cars! I don't want to see the thread get closed though.

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I got no problem with the wedge dirt cars. They're a part of stock car racing history.

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i like the wedge cars better than what they are using today. had more character.jmho

4. AllenK

AllenK

Look at the dirt in the dirt track pics. No black slick mess back then!

5. k9racer

k9racer

rotorwrench do you have any photos of my faviorite dirt driver Mike Head? He had several smith cars..

6. Rotorranch

Rotorranch

[​IMG]

You can find some more here: http://www.dirtfans.com/MikeHead.html

There's a couple of them with Mike driving one of Clint Smith's cars.

Rotor

7. lostspeedway.webs.com

lostspeedway.webs.com
    from Wisconsin

Marv Marzofka at the Elko Speedway in MN. 1973

8. trnstrtrk

trnstrtrk
    from DeLand, FL

Photo is from the now defunk Ashville-Weaverville, NC Speedway.

Bob Coolidge
    DeLand, FL

9. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Well, unfortunately, I couldn't find anything to confirm my theory. Can you tell me how many wins he won in MARC though?

Thanks for your help
    -Cody

10. Fastway

Fastway
    from London KY

[​IMG]

for more pic check out http://z4.invisionfree.com/Figure_8_Raceing/index.php?showtopic=2657&st=15

11. dirt11353

dirt11353

this will be good for the area dirt track guys and it looks good so far

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Fastway, I've registered on that board but haven't received confirmation yet. I want to do some replying. Maybe I can help.

13. Fastway

Fastway
    from London KY

I like to have a vintage race there. with the track being 1/4 or 1/3 sound great. I be going soon as they open. went there many times when it was asphalt back in 89 90. Seen Bill Kimmel the 89 track champ & Paul Porter #4 race and bunch of other greats there. they went under the ASCRA American Stock Car Racing Association banner

14. dirt11353

dirt11353

ascra was when wayne deasy was promoting the track i was the late model tech insp and took care of track clean up then (dont remember the yrs) only time i worked at a track. i think greg pike won the late model points under ascra/deasy 1 year and i believe deasy was there 2 maybe 3 yrs total. had a good time doing that

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, dirt11353, I was at IRP by that time. I helped Andy Vertrees with it until I left for IRP and they built Louisville Motor Speedway. Like I said, wouldn't mind getting involved there again if it worked out.

16. dirt11353

dirt11353

i dont remember the guys name that flagged there for wayne but leroy from the fairgrounds was there scoring. if the sch. were ok wouldn't mind helping out there myself but i have been out of racing except for internet racing for 12 or so yrs.

17. Derby City Speedway

Derby City Speedway
    from ky.

Hey Johnny,
    Looking for some information here.
    Any ideas on the outline colors for the letering on this car. And what it says on the front fender? I think owner G. Newman ?
    Mark Thomas:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  18. Fastway

Fastway
    from London KY

program I got from 1990 David Wolfe Flagman

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Derby City, I think the outline on the numbers of that Chevy was red. And the fender writing was indeed, Owner: G. Newman. Gerald Newman, worked at V.V. Cooke.

Dirt, Leroy Newman was a great scorer. Probably still is. Had a pretty red-headed wife who wasn't a bad scorer, either.

James, can you send me a .jpg copy of that program cover? I collect 'em.

20. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Hello Everyone..........came across this site and thread web searching for old late model pictures.........and like most have stayed here reading and looking at all the great stuff!

I believe I can add a great deal to this thread when I get things up and running ......I grew up just 3 miles from Heidelberg Raceway in Pgh, Pa.

I was taken there as an infant starting in 1994 and went to all the dirt races with my father then......when they paved I never missed a show from the late 60's until they closed..........I have collected many photos from the late Mich track photographer Ray Rogers and Hberg track photographer Russ Lewellen of shots from asphalt late models that raced at Hberg during those years I will share in the coming posts....

After they closed in 73, I started taking my own still shots of dirt tracks all over the Northeast until I did full time video taping of races in the early 80's..........that led at a full time position at Jennerstown speedway from 87 to 94 where I was the marketing director...annoucer and TV host of our show Chase to the Checkered.......I also annouced for Clearfield and Motordrome at that time when they were paved and under Nascar short track sanctioning...I have many photos from those times at Jennerstown and 1,000 of shorts of asphalt and dirt short track cars from the 60, 70, 80 and 90s.........

Most of my photos are taped in paper scrap books but I will see about what I can do to scan some and get them up here..........I also have a ton of race stories I can share as I have visited over 105 speedways while working full time with Jennerstown over the years.......

I moved to Charlotte in 98' and worked briefy in motorsports in annoucing and PR before leavin the sport..........

I live in Concord, NC now in the shadow of the big track and a 5 min drive from Concord Speedway, I still love going to some bigger short track shows as a fan these days.....and will be at the SLM race in April at North Wilkesboro that is paying 75Gs......and never miss the North/South shootout mod show that runs in November at Concord........

Stayed tuned and I see if I can figure out how to post photos soon.......

:):):)

21. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Okay let’s give this as a go for starters……….

Here is a photo taken of the start of what was not known at the time but the last ever race at Heidelberg Raceway in Pgh, Pa..........the date was Oct 73 and the race was the Pgher 250.<O:p></O:p>
    On the pole is Tom Maier in the Going version of those terror rising green hornet Camaro’s of Ed Howe's shop that dominated racing that year........outside of him is Ed Mitchell from Warren Ohio in his brand new Camaro at the time.........Inside is the Mike Pirello owned #24 Camaro normally driven by Jim Bickerstaff.....but Joy Fair came down with Joe Ruttman and they made a deal for Ruttman to run the car much to Bickerstaff’s frustration, but Bick ended up making the field in the back with Mike's older Chevelle....outside of Ruttman is Ed Howe of course in the Gone Camaro who ended up winning the race..........Next row is Joy Fair in that wild 4 door Maverick that was said his seat was so far back in the car it was like driving from the back seat of it......outside of Fair is Arca star Marvin Smith.......behind them is Whitehall Pa's Tom Collela in the Bobby Allison build Chevelle who ran so well here......and he was the actually the promoter of the track that year as well........beside him is the famous Jeg's #7 Camaro that Don Gregory was driving......Next row is Bob Sennecker.....and John Anderson in the Yee's 33..........I have the lineup for this race somewhere that I will post later.................others I can see here are Jim Cushman, Rick Knotts, Glenn Gault, Norm Benning Sr., Bill Konzos, Ray Thomas Norm Lelliot, Ed Hage, Art Clark, Tony Delillo, Bud Middaugh, Jim Benning.................Hberg got them all back then..............the 1970 version of this race had over 109 late models............those were they days.........

Bill Truby Photo...........PCTC photographer....

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Hberg Lives, welcome to the thread! Just the kind of stuff I (and I assume everybody else here) loves to see. This is history that needs to be remembered. Bring it on...

23. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Will do big John.......have plenty of old ASA stuff that has you in it.........

I used to announce some of their races at Jtown.........and did some live TV reports for WTBS before they had their own live shows.......

I'll get photos up here soon.............

24. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Hey Hberg Lives - Big John is right - your stuff is just the kind of stuff everyone loves to see on this site. I personally missed out on ever seeing a race at Heidelberg even though the drivers there frequently came to the Dayton / Southern Ohio tracks. Don't know why I never travelled there - I have been nearly everywhere else - including Concord and the big speedway in Charlotte. ( I lived thirteen years in Harrisburg NC, and I left there about the same time as you moved in...)

Welcome. The Oldtimer.......

25. Stick07pa

Stick07pa

I will be looking forward to your photo's Hberg Lives! Never got to go to Heidelberg, but I have put in some time at Jennerstown and Motordrome as a car owner. I am sorry I missed out on Heidelberg!

26. jrose7004

jrose7004

Hberg Lives, we're looking forward to seeing more of your pictures!

27. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Thanks folks....I'll get to work later this week on photos starting with Hberg..........then we'll go through other stuff..................I have lots of stories to go with them too............

Hberg was the best weekly racing show I have ever seen........Bob Sennecker told me once at Jennerstown during an ASA race that running at Hberg every week (which he did for a year and a half) was like running a late model invitation every week with the level of competition they had.................

Stay tuned............

28. jmh

jmh

Spent many,many Sat eves at Hberg.. Never missed a race in I dont know how many years.. The late Jimmy B was/is my hero.. Wild Thing 33!! John

29. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

hey,hberg lives...can,t wait to see your stuff..i worked on bud middaugh and bob sibila,s cars...born in canonsburgh...about cried when that place closed.saturday at the berg and sunday at sharon.

30. bushy

bushy
    from ohio