Register now to get rid of these ads!

my 1955 pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spydey, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Nice, I always have liked those cars, great color combo too

2. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

3. spydey

spydey

I love what this guy has done to this car...installing a 1954 chev grille valence and bumper...I wish I had more pix of this car!

does anybody out there know this guy?

Attached Files:

4. spydey

spydey

Judd 55...nice Canadian Pontiac! bet those boys south of the border don't even know the differance....

5. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

NICE ................. That is well done, nailed it !!!

6. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

Thanx Spydey, back at ya ......................... Your right, most don't. We best keep it our little secret or they'll be buyin' em all up !!!

7. signal_11

signal_11

That's either the car Cole Foster did for Mike Ness or a clone:
    http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Mike_Ness'_1955_Pontiac

I've been tempted to do that with my '55 Chieftain as well, but I've been trying to figure out something different that would look cool to be unique.

8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

The flat in the front fender opening is a dead givaway. The 115" Chevy wheelbase is still quite a bit differant to get used to looking at too with the proportion differance. Nice car though, and the op car too

9. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

nobody gave me any shit ! i kinda feel left out !
    nice car by the way, cool color

10. signal_11

signal_11

It's easier to get a lot of parts for a Canadian Pontiac since it has the Chevy drive train and chassis. There' are more after market and reproduction parts for Chevies than Pontiacs. A local guy here put a '55 Chev front end on his Canadian Pontiac to make more custom.

11. signal_11

signal_11

Cool. Mine has the same thing.

12. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

[​IMG]

You are correct, similar to your Chieftan just a little shorter in the front and the fact that it is built on the Chevy frame and running gear................I have to be sure and order any drive train, chassis parts for a 55 Chev or I will end up with American Pontiac parts, none of which are interchangable between the two. Even here in Canada, because all the parts catalogues are from the States. Things such as the hood hinges and springs that you might think would be the same are not, again 55 Chevy, But it's all good, parts is easy to get for them. :D

13. signal_11

signal_11

For comparison, this is my American Poncho:
    [​IMG]

14. what i dont understand is why all these guys buy these cool old pontiacs and then say well i dont like the grille, waterfalls ,taillights etc so im gonna change them to look like all the other cars out there

the grilles , waterfalls, tailight treatment are what make these old pontiacs cool and sepperate them from the other gms (chevies) if you want a dime a dozen chevy go buy one leave the pontiacs for those who want a pontiac

i mean yes its your car do with it as you please ill shut up now

15. signal_11

signal_11

That's just what people do/did with customs. If you like the car as it is, you go with that. If you want a custom, you change it. It keeps people guessing as to what the car is, and you get to accentuate parts you like, just like Desoto teeth in a chopped Merc, a Corvette grille in a '55 Chevy, etc. Lots of shoeboxes have Pontiac side trim, and people put in Caddie or Packard taillights on a Chevy.

It depends on what you want to do, and the shape of the car that you work with. My car was a bit rougher and has had custom modifications made over the years, so the custom route works for me. Someone else might have bought it and decided to restore it to stock.

A stock '55 Chevy looks great, but so does this:
    http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Image:Wally-ruby-1955-chevrolets.jpg
    I wouldn't make my Pontiac into a Chevy, and there are a lot of custom features on a Pontiac. The longer length helps, and some of the body lines really make a nice custom base to work from.

16. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

You make a good point..........Even though I'm not fond of the front end I would not change mine for the very reasons you state, there are folks that do like 'em and beings how I will probably not hang onto this car forever, I will leave it as is for someone else to apprecciate..............

Cheers, Judd

17. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

Nice ...........I like them steelies and spiders !!!

18. signal_11

signal_11

Thanks. It's in a transitional phase, I still have a lot of work to do on it, but it works for now.

19. signal11 i understand about the custom car idea completly but im talking about guys who buy a pontiac when they were looking for a chevy and say well ill just change it over to a chevy there have been at least two threads on here in the recent past were guys were doing this or thinking about it

20. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Cool Pontiac! Looks like a fun ride. The taillights look awesome. Good luck with your grille & bumper swap, it takes a lot of hard work to make a nice kustom, but if you do it right, it's totally worth it. Just please don't put a '55 Chevy front end on it! :eek:

Why would you want a Chevy when you could have a Pontiac? :)

21. signal_11

signal_11

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I get that. I have seen a couple of Canadian Pontiacs with body parts replaced to make them into 55 Chevies. I didn't like that either. Those Pontiac details like the waterfalls on the back, the suspenders up front and the lines on the rear quarters on Pontiacs are keepers - you get some custom stuff for free.

:cool:

22. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

I checked it on your Club site, I noticed a little pinstriping there, I am just getting started striping myself and plan to lay some on mine if I ever consider myself good enough to do the deed. Need a bunch of practice yet, I don't want to cheapen the art by doing a half assed job.

Here's some small chit I've done so far ............. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23677286

23. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

24. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

If your refering to my avatar...........that is my dash but not my work, that was done by a pro and my inspiration to pick up a brush .................. When I reach that point I'll do your dash.

25. Pharouh

Pharouh

While we're on the subject of 55 Pontiacs, I thought you might like this. I made this with PSP7. It was my first post on the Friday Art Show here on the HAMB. This was my brother's first car back around 1963.

[​IMG]

26. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

Beauty, nice work ...............mind if I hang onto that ?

[​IMG]

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

I like the 55 front end better than the 56. I do like the 54 treatment on the one posted a lot though also.

[​IMG]

I caught hell for suggesting the Caddy tails awhile back. Sorry it may be done a lot but it's because it works. Whitewalls are done a lot also.

Oh...yeah, nice car.

28. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

....they are never finished are they?[/QUOTE]+

No, they are never finished, but like me, as soon as I finish something on my car, I find something else that I'd like to do next!

Good luck on your car!

29. Thats a pic I took years ago. If you want info on that car feel free to pm me, I can tell you all that you need to know.

30. ripemup56

ripemup56
    from hi desert

here's a pic of my 56 pontiac starchief..was thinking of selling it but now i think im gonna hold on to it...i luv pontiacs..

Attached Files: