Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillysRule, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

G-Willys,

Thanks for posting a picture of our coupe from Indy 2010.

I'm currently in Louisville, Kentucky with the Willys for the Carl Casper Show.

I will be attending the Gatornationals with the Car in March.

Ltownrodder

2. Moore's car was the former Edmission injected 426 car built very similar to the Ron Bizio truck that also had some major chassis work done by Steve Plueger (S&R Chassis). Moore sold to a person in either Texas/Oklahoma area where it was raced for several years, then within the last 4 or 5 years was listed on ebay and sold to current owner in Hawaii.

3. Weasel

Weasel

This truck has 35k original miles and was first registered in Jan 1937. It is one of the very last Model 77s - note the original to the truck from the factory 1937 wheels....

[​IMG]

4. Weasel

Weasel

Period advertising on a 1933 coupe - interesting to see a spare tire cover on a 1933. The heavy negative camber on the front wheel must be from the weight of the 392;) - actually photo was not photographed flat, thus the distortion....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  5. Weasel,
    That's another neat picture. Bought one of those coupe spare tire covers off of Ebay a few years ago (not in great shape, but decent), no one knew what it was...gave it to a friend of mine who is building an Aussie bodied 35 roadster. Saw one on the yellow coupe that is in Abe Suderman's collection many years back.
    g-willys

6. Weasel

Weasel

A couple more shots I came across of Terry Baker's Chrisman built all steel 1933 coupe, one showing the 528 Keith Black blown and injected hemi. Note the tight packaging of the EFI so that no hole needed to be cut in the hood. This car is an absolute masterpiece....

[​IMG]

7. A work of art! Do you have any shots of the dash/interior???
    g-willys

8. Weasel

Weasel

Interesting hood side treatment and latching on this 1935 photographed in Madrid, Spain. It looks similar to the hood side on the stillborn Willys Hupp proposal from that year....

[​IMG]

9. Not sure what you are refering to in picture #789! Hood sides look the same as mine.
    g-willys

10. Weasel

Weasel

Oops, um well aaargh....:eek:. I was thinking about the proposed Hupp Willys 4 in 1934 that paved the way for the 1935/36 Model 77 restyle. The Hupp project never got off the ground, but I'll post an illustration when I get a chance.

In the meantime I'll try and redeem myself by posting the 1933 Model 99 six cylinder. Reputedly 15 of these 112" WB sedans were built and given to dealer managers to promote the proposed new model when visiting Willys dealerships. The hood is considerably longer than the Model 77. The factory produced a brochure for this model. The bankruptcy trustees killed the model but a couple are said to still exist....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Weasel,
    I have heard that too (about the model 99), but have never heard that any one has see it. I've asked guys like Ladley, Suderman, and some of the other restorers I have met, and they all have said they have not seen one in the flesh. Seems like a number of the models that came out in brochure form never made it to production. Maybe we could interest Leno in starting a search! He has the contacts to find almost anything!
    g-willys

12. Two of my favorites...Pat Cumming's early coupe (heard he was selling it), and Coonrod's roadster. Oh... if they only had a production run of those!!!

Attached Files:

13. Weasel

Weasel

g-willys, I had heard of a Willys 99 sedan in Iowa at a hot rod shop a few years back but never heard back when I tried to contact them by e-mail. I have also hear rumors of one in AZ. I too have never seen one in the flesh, so the mystery continues.

Jack Coonrod's roadster is a US coupe with the roof whacked off as is the orange one built by Posie's in the 1980s and there is another white one I saw in Columbus at the first Goodguys Show in 1998 as well as a sage green one with VW headlight lens I saw at the LA Roadster Show a few years back.. The Aussie Holden bodied roadsters are very different - I have one and sold another last year. Harry Phillips made a couple of fiberglass roadsters from a US coupe when he still owned Willys Unlimited in Columbus, OH.

Weasel

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  14. Weasel

Weasel

Real 1933 Willys 77 Sports Roadster, Holden body....

[​IMG]

15. Weasel

Weasel

Another 1935 Sport Coupe....

[​IMG]

16. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a very rare bird - a New Zealand bodied 1933 Tourer....

[​IMG]

17. Weasel

Weasel

Compare this 1935 Holden bodied Tourer which I posted earlier in this thread. Note the reveal on the Holden body which is absent from the cruder NZ bodied Tourer....

[​IMG]

18. Weasel
    Great pictures...I knew about Coonrod's coupe/roadster, as he was in Denver with it at our 1st Gasser Gathering. Didn't look much different than pictures now. I just like the way it sits...I probably would have a bit higher windshield, and metal across the top. Neat Motor too! I loved Harry Phillip's little black roadster with the yellow leather seats when he had it at St Louis in '99. He made a very accurate fiberglass car in all his models! Saw one at Louisville (41) on display, and I thought it was steel (hinges, trim, firewall reveal, etc), until I got up close. Door latches, trim pieces, everything was accurate. I am on my last build (my 36 daily driver), but if I did one more...well the roadster certainly interests me. I have a good friend in central Wisconsin who has all the parts for an Aussie roadster (said he might get started on it this year), he is the one I gave my coupe spare tire cover to...for that project. He is the one with the Aussie '38 TJR bodied Ute, with the '40 nose that I posted on the other thread a while back. It would be nice if that model 99 turned up at a midwest car show some day. Keep looking! The tourer in pic. #797 is just like one that a local collector has. His is fully restored and painted a chocolate brown...not my favorite car color, but it looks neat with yellow Willys wire wheels, and the stock hub caps. Who's '33 roadster was that on the trailer, and who has it now...that is one I could do if I ever get this '36 done. Here's my '36.

Attached Files:

19. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

It's coming along Bill, nice work. Oh ya and where is my early coupe? You really don't want me wasting my time on this goofy one off year Ford now, do you? LOL

20. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Any more pictures of Coonrod's roadster. Wasn't there a blurb in SRM years back?

21. Weasel

Weasel

^^^^ Your wish is my command....;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Weasel

Weasel

Here is a scan of a poor photocopy of the Municipal Fleet of the City of Hartford, Conn. which was mentioned in the 1937-42 Willys photo thread. If anyone has a better example of this photo please post it. Eight coupes a sedan and two panel vans in a row - 77 Heaven!

[​IMG]

23. Weasel

Weasel

Okay, still trying to redeem myself from my goof :eek::eek::eek: on the Willys sedan with modified headlights, wheels and front bumper photographed in Madrid. Here is the concept illustration for the proposed Hupp Willys coupe I mentioned. Note how the Amos Northup redesign foreshadows the 1935 Willys facelift....

[​IMG]

24. Weasel

Weasel

And here is the sedan version of the Hupp Willys proposal....

[​IMG]

25. Weasel

Weasel

Here's an interesting quartet - proposed 1933 Models that never made it. Only the Pickup and the Panel Delivery made it to production in 1935. Note how the roof shape of the panel and pickup more closely resemble the sedan roof line, rather than the more sharply angled roof that eventually made it through to production. The rear window of the pickup is more rounded than the sharp cornered production version. I find this version of the pickup to be more shapely than the eventual production model.

The cabriolet (convertible roadster in Willys parlance - roll up windows) and panel van were shown as artist's renderings in the 1933 Model 77 brochure. It is extremely doubtful if the cabriolet was even built as a prototype, although a couple have been made from coupes as discussed earlier in this thread. The 2 door Willys 'Coach' has been produced as a fiberglass phantom in Model 77 guise, but this factory concept is for the bigger six cylinder Model 99 version....

[​IMG]

26. Weasel

Weasel

Another one they probably never made - Willys 99 coupe - note longer hood, even if it is only an artist's rendition....

[​IMG]

27. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Another great HAMB Thread

Thank you.

Perhaps not of the best picture quality however I find this 1933 Willys "Stance" STUNNING!!!!!!!!

1) Are those Pie Crust slicks or Goodyear wrinkle wall slicks?

2) What was the power plant of this the Cal Hydro 1933 Willys pickup Gasser?

3) How many inches would you say the top is chopped?

4) Although the 1933 Willys began life with a dual parallel leaf front axle was it common to change over to single transverse leaf front axle on the 1933 Willys during the 60's Gasser era?

Attached Files:

• W33.JPG
      W33.JPG
      File size:
      69.4 KB
      Views:
  28. Weasel

Weasel

Here it is....

[​IMG]

29. Weasel

Weasel

30. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

1. I think the slicks are M&H or Goodyear wrinkle wall. When those slicks came out in 65-66, it was still common for them to have a very pronounced edge at the top of the sidewall.

2. I believe the Tall-Tex (run by Finders at the time) initially ran a blown Olds (I could be mistaken), but eventually switched to a blown 392 hemi. You can actually see the hemi valve cover poking through the hood side in the pic you posted. On one occasion in early 66, Finders was doing some work on Coonrod's 33 Willys coupe. They put Coonrod's hemi in the pickup, and won a couple of races with it.

pre-bizio33-truck.jpg RonBizio66MarchMeet-3.jpg

3. I would say the top is chopped about 3 to 3-1/2". This truck eventually became the Ron Bizio truck, and is currently owned by Jeff Cryan out of NY. He could probably tell you the exact dimensions.

Bizio1.jpg

4. The single transverse leaf spring setup was very common on gassers in the 65-67 era. Here's some examples below. The name of the game was to save weight, and the single transverse spring was lighter than 2 parallel springs. The Ron Bizio truck ran a transverse spring through some time in 68, until he eventually changed to coil-over shocks.

Altizer65.jpg ch-cf-2-66-57.jpg 33.jpg