Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where can I get a title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BradBowman, Mar 3, 2011.

1. BradBowman

BradBowman
    from Seneca, MO

Does anyone know where I can get a title for my car

2. voodoo1

voodoo1

From the Title Fairy!

3. BradBowman

BradBowman
    from Seneca, MO

I lost her number

4. fucco

fucco

oh man i can see where this one is going.................

5. BradBowman

BradBowman
    from Seneca, MO

Well i bought a 31' Chevy Coupe and it doesn't have a title. I'm 21 and don't know much bout this stuff yet. lol

6. fucco

fucco

check your PM

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Some people i know have had good luck with international titleing service outa vegas

8. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Have you checked with your local DMV, seems like they would know the local laws.

9. Abomb

Abomb

Check your local laws / DMV / Treasures office first....In KS, you can title an old car with a bill of sale....no hassle.

Maybe I should start charging people to title cars.....

10. there was just a thread on the different title laws for the different threads in the last day or two .. go to SEMAs website

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

I see valid titles for sale on here (sum with vin plates to match) and other places online ,but they are strictly sold for entertanment purposes /wall hangers :rolleyes:.Not sure where you could find one to actually use for an old car ;)...

12. You might try the DMV unless its an S-10 or a '71 Challenger in which case I got you covered. :D

Don't know what you got in the line of documentation but I'll try and give you a hand if you want. There are several avenues in MO that can be taken depending on what you have to work with.

13. If you are using a search engine, use the term "historical document." Seems like that is the euphemism for an illegally obtained title.

14. Well they are for display purposes. I would hate to see someone misuse something that I sold them for sure. :eek:

15. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

The correct way is to go to your local DMV and follow the procedures that are set up in your state to obtain a new title. It will involve a bit of paperwork and possibly an inspection by a State Trooper or some other DMV authority. Takes a little time but it is totally the only reliable way to do it.

Some people buy titles on e-bay or other on line places and attempt to register their car with them BUT... it is illegal (a felony) to pass off a title for one car in an attempt to register another. If you do this, be prepared to spend some time in jail. Not saying it hasn't been done successfully but you're taking a big chance if you try it.

Title services work some of the time and it will depend on your state. Some have caught on to the way these services skirt the law and will not accept titles that are obtained in this way so ask around to see if your state will accept them before you fork out a couple hundred bucks for one.

Good luck.

16. The Shocker

The Shocker

:D .I sold a guy a title to a 53 Chevy for a wall hanger once.I made him hold up his right hand and promise me that he would put it in a picture frame and never try and use it for a car.He had an honest face so i felt it was okay to sell it to him as art :)...

17. Yeah, when we sold my grandson's homebuilt mini-chopper, we put on the bill of sale, "Novelty display piece only..not to be ridden under any circumstances." ;);)

18. oldolds

oldolds

You are in MO. Isn't Broadway Title in MO? That state must be the easiest state in the country to get a title from! Look at thier website I think it will tell you what needs to be done.

19. Well if the OP contacts me I'll help him get through the red tape its only a pain until you know your way around the maze. A lot depends on what documantation you have to start with.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a fng thing. Need a title, find the HAMB. Brad, there are probably 500 threads on here started by people just like yourself. Bought or drug home an old car without a title and now you are trying to get a title.

The laws vary from state to state and the first thing to do is to check with your state's dmv and see what they require.

It looks like you can apply for a bonded title. You would have to post a bond so you would want to do that before you spent a lot of money on the car. Meaning get it just running and fairly legal so that you could apply for the bonded title on a bare bones low value car and after you have the bonded title you take it back apart and build it the way you want to.
    http://dor.mo.gov/forms/index.php?formName=&category=1&year=&searchForms=Search+Forms
    Scroll down to 7-10 in the Missouri Title manual.

There are probably other ways and someone may even have a clear Missouri title to that model of car off a hulk sitting in the back yard. Personally I wouldn't buy a title to anything that I didn't at least get part of the vehicle the title was to or know that the rig was cut up for parts or scrap.

21. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

You can dub it "coolest car in Seneca MO"! That is a cool title.