Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Reprinting of Felsen's "Hot Rod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Gerg

Gerg

Ordered mine got it and read it i think my other one is a 1967 printing not bad when i am only 31 years old lol

2. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

When I was about 12 (1974) my Dad handed me a tattered paperback of Hot Rod. It was the one with the red roadster on the cover, he told me he's read it in high school and I might enjoy it. I loved it. I read it twice that summer alone, and when I was about 16 I read it again and built a model of the roadster on the cover. I even wrote a short story in high school using the Felson style. I tried reading Crash Club, but couldn't get into it, I never finished it. But the character of Bud Crayne, who was full on into cars and loved his hot rod really got me. I've read it countless times since then and will likely read it again soon. I also need to order a new copy and maybe even scour ebay for more Felson. Simply the best author ever.

3. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

still have my first edition after many many years....just about holding together but I wouldn't trade it for new one...lots of memories attached to it:

[​IMG]

....had a chance to buy the autographed box set some years ago and didn't step up...still kicking myself. I'll be checking these out.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  4. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I'm having flashbacks of some books I read when I was young, like ... maybe in the late 60's ... and I have memories of these books where kids would soup up old cars and drive them too fast and in the end a bunch of them would end up dying in horrible crashes that were caused by their own stupidity, and there would be these horribly gruesome descriptions of the things that happened to them in the wrecks.

But I can't remember the titles of any of them.

Were his books like that?

Are the books I am remembering his books?

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There was a graphic description of the aftermath of a collision involving two carloads of kids that were playing chicken at night with their headlights off in "Hot Rod".

6. I,,, like a lot of you guys have read the Felsen books we I was a kid and have re-read them over the years and still have my original copies but I intend to order the new Edition of Hot Rod for my collection.

Several years ago I ran across a unopened box of Henry Gregor Felsen books,"Road Rocket" when helping clean out a warehouse and felt like "Indiana Jones" with my discovery.

These books were the 1963 edition and darn near mint.

I have been selling them in the classifieds. HRP

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

My boxed set from 1990. GP Books, This was a limited printing of 2500.

Attached Files:

8. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Just bought my Son a copy for his third b-day. Can't wait to read it to him.

9. BELLM

BELLM

I have an original, read it first time in junior high, 7th or 8th grade, checked out of school library, late '50s/early '60s. Ordered the reprint, came in a couple weeks ago, sat down, read it all that evening. Thanks Holly

10. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

-i would love to get another copy of fever heat . my copy fell out of my basket on my bike in the 7th grade and went down the damm sewer . i havent been able to get another copy

11. Are the new ones out yet?

12. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

I want to thank Holly for the fast order. I ordered the book on the 24th of Feb and got the book on the 28th. I can't wait to read the book with my three boys. This is the kind of book I wish I had growing up to read in school. I had never heard of it until Ryan put it on the Hamb. thanks again
    Matt

13. Pscott

Pscott

I read "Boy gets car" in the 6th grade, it made a strong impression!
    I didn't see that title among the reprints, was it re-named for a later edition?

14. I guess this answers my question.I thought she was going to mail or e mail a notice when they were available to order.

15. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Okay, then that's one of the books I read. (I think.)

:cool:

16. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Everyone,
    Got my ordered new copy of "Hot Rod" today.. Am pleased to get it and plan to read it asap.. Glad to see it reprinted!... duane (NM Sandrail)

17. jroberts

jroberts

Like so many here I too remember getting my introduction into hot rodding and cars in general by reading Felson's books. I must have been in the 6th or 7th grade when I began devouring his books. I even read some of this books that weren't about cars. I think my favorite was Hot Rod. I remember how life like that terrible scene resulting from playing chicken was. I can still picture it today. I may have to order the latest reprint just because.

18. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

There was a previous posting about Felsen's books (1-24-08). Lots of postings and comments about his books. As I stated then (2-26-08), "Hot Rod" changed my life.

Nice to see it being reprinted.

19. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Get your copy at the Vintage Torque Fest - Holly will be selling "Hot Rod" in the vendor/show rod building.

Come and support her........
    and the show!

April 29-30, 2011

Maquoketa IA

20. Diecastdeluxe

Diecastdeluxe
    from Ohio

I think these books should be made into movies. I read Hot Rod back when Kennedy was president. I gave my original copy to my son, and he's 30 years old now.

21. Met and talked with Holly at GSTA SHOW IN MINN. today.. very interesting from her point of view . yaya bought a book too

HOLD ON GUYS THERES MORE!

SHE SAYS THERE ARE SOME UNFINISHED WORKS
    BITS AND PIECES .. SHORT STORIES ...
    GOSH THIS IS LIKE FINDING THE UNTOLD "BEFORE" AMERICAN GRAFFITI

STEVE COONAN !
    PLEASE GET THIS FOR THE RODDERS JOURNAL AND THE REST OF THE HISTORY OF THIS FAMILY AND THIER CARS HURRY!

WOULD LOVE TO SEE A WHOLE BIOGRAPHY
    WITH OUTAKES OF IOWA HOT RODS - LOCAL RACES
    THE ORDER FORMS FOR THE SCHOOLASTIC BOOKS

PARRALLEL TIMELINES TO NHRA- HOT ROD -HOPUP MAGAZINES

STRUGGLES OF A UNPUBLISHED WRITER

COVER ART REJECTS

UNCENSORED STORY VERSIONS ?

SOMEONE HAS ONE OF HIS OLD CARS ON HERE (RIGHT?)ALCHEMY?

I BELIEVE HOLLY IS GOING TO OTHER SHOWS SOON TOO?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  22. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Bud Crayne Lives amoungst some of us !

23. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

too bad the new edition's cover art isn't more reverential to the original.

24. alchemy

alchemy

Bud Crayne is a HAMBer.

(He's my little brother. Not only is he the model in the latest edition, but he's also a serious car guy.)

25. I agree!

26. Some great ideas!

27. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Really? That's all you can say about the book? I guess Holly should have run HER artwork by you for your approval before re-releasing the book HER Dad wrote. I'll be sure to tell her to get your approval on the next books in the series.

28. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

sheesh dude, ease up. What else is there to say? The book is a classic.

29. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Holly did a great thing by bringing this book back to print. The photography she did is her contribution to her Dad’s legacy. It’s kinda like looking at a car…if ya don’t like it, keep you thoughts to yourself. I can think of a hundred positive things to say about the book. How about: “The whole car community thanks you for taking on the huge task of orchestrating the reprinting of this classic book for a whole new generation of gear heads.” Or maybe: “For someone who knew nothing about old cars to see the importance of this book to the car culture, I say thank you for your hard work.”