Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was hot in the 1970's (man)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hester, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williebill

williebill

Shitty lace paint jobs,long shackles,American flag( or Confederate flag) painted on the bottom of your Nova's gas tank so everybody could see it,since your Nova was jacked up so damn high in the back...Tires that always stuck out of the fenders,front tires that were too fat,and...and...and...

V6 powered "street rods" to go along with articles in the mags about driving with your vacuum guage....The gas crisis sucked..My DD 66 Monterey with a 390 got about 9 MPG..buying gas on odd/even days,depending on the last number of your license plate..that really sucked,too.
    As for the rest of the 70s,I ain't telling.Some of the stuff they show on the History Channel doesn't even scratch the surface............

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

farrah fawcett and cheryl teigs (sp) ...man i am old

3. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone remember the tire "Big O Big Foot 60s"? Where the hell were they made? We had a set on my brothers Maverick Grabber (L-60 15, natch) and they would always get a laugh.

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

STP decals were still a common accessory. And all of those horrid van conversions, and Volks rods.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

My friends 56 in 77. Pretty much got all the previously mentioned touch's.

Tan lines were the best thing in the 70's though.

Attached Files:

6. jamn47

jamn47

Big Bad Ass Cabover semi trucks, My Dad use to run a double bunk K-100 SWEEET! Sorry got off the subject. Real Trucks are Cabovers!

7. merf

merf
    from new joisey

Jack up the back with air shocks or shackles,60 tires, paint the gas tank and rear white and have the reverse lights on in first gear. Everybody had a Craig Powerplay under their dash with a slide out mount and a place to hide their weed and papers.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If my memory is correct gas did not go past a buck untill late 79 or early 80 around here,when I got my first car in 78 I remember paying around 55 cents a gallon and then in late 79 it went up every week. During the so called gas crisis in 74 gas went from the mid 20s to around the mid 40s to low 50s around here.

9. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Resto Rods rolling on Skylark wires. With a mural on the trunklid.

Oh and girls with killer legs in cutoffs so short you could see the lower part of their buns.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  10. dmw56

dmw56

POS-A-TRACTION, Mickey Thompson or PRO TRAC tires. Jacked up in the back with shackles and the tires sticking out past the fenders! :eek:

11. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Street Rodding!! That's what I think of when I hear 70s....and the phrase "Vintage Tin"!

12. Bitchin'
    our nieghbors had a sofa upohlstered like that. Big muff too!

13. edweird

edweird

CB radios !! i cant believe nobody mentioned this. mercy sakes, good buddy.

14. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Macrame (sp?) halter tops and hip-hugger bell bottoms! Oh, you mean cars???????:D

15. Cowboy hat with a string of feathers attached with a "roach clip" and a "street is neat" t-shirt.

16. edweird

edweird

vans. my dad had a 71 short chevy van. LT-1 3;73 posi. that thing would haul ass. one time he found out i had been street racing it. boy did he raise hell!!.........then he said, did you win? i'll never forget that.

17. edweird

edweird

i never smoked pot, but i had a shirt with : A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A FRIEND INDEED.

18. Muttley

Muttley

The 70's ruled.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

With a narrowed Nova clip, I think your about five to seven years too early in your era assumption. We didn't commonly see those until the early eighties and then right through to the late eighties when MustangII crossmembers became THE thing. Not saying it was never done, but not common. For a different take on the seventies, pick up any Street Rodder magazine from about '75 to '78, the good years when Pat Ganahl was at the helm. Tru-Spokes were all the rage along with fairly stock bodied stuff called "resto rods". Interiors were either resto type materials, or things like diamond tuck were still in vouge along with tuck and roll and biscuit tuck left over from before. Also, slot mags were big with those that wanted a more performance kinda look than wires. Someone else said white letter tires, definitely! Goodyear polyglass and the first generation of B.F. Goodrich T/As. The seventies had alot of goofy high school crap like long shackles and white painted diff covers, but there was some very tastefully done stuff out there if ya looked for it. That's what I propose you seek out.

20. bct

bct

grass , gas or ass.

21. bct

bct

ox blood diamond tuft

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

The real thing was far better than any movie.

Attached Files:

23. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

Mickey Thompson Indy Profiles in the rear. American Racing Daisy rims or Cragar chrome 5 spokes.
    CBs with the long spring loaded whip antenna. Pioneer Super Tuner with slide out mounts. Gotta hang a pair of padded headphones on the rear view mirror.
    Prism style lettering - murals on the rear quarter panels.
    Gabriel Hi-Jacker stickers, long leaf spring shackles. Small red clearance lights on the diff covers.
    I never said any of this looked good, just telling what everyone was doing.
    Don't forget to do a long smokey burnout the full length of the front of Gemco. (So Cal store) Do this at night about 11 p.m.
    Come back the next day during regular store hours and check out your artwork on the pavement.

24. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Back in the mid 1970s the sixes generally weren't vee sixes; they were inline sixes.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Plymouth, AMC, ... All inline sixes. Only foreign cars had V6s back then.

Okay, Buick made a few V6s in the early 60s, but then sold the tooling to Jeep who used them for a few years in their CJ series Jeeps, but those weren't used as street rod motors by anybody with any self respect during that period.

:cool:

25. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Just about everybody had a mural airbrushed on their glovebox door......

[​IMG]

26. harp

harp

stenciled in silver metalic the playboy bunny logo on my 69 lemans dif. cover

27. stupid big speakers on the rear package tray. tunnel rams sticking out of hood, cadillac "firemist" colored paint. possibly a rock band mirror bought from street corner salesman.

28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Cragers
    BFG T/A’s or Kelly Springfield super chargers
    8 track w Jenson speakers
    Air shocks
    Heddman headers w turbo mufflers
    [​IMG]

29. You left something out,,Big meats on the front also,,just not as big as the back!

Long Shackles,,

Lace paint jobs were popular also. HRP

30. budd

budd

i used to deliver chinese food in a mini in the late 70's, we closed at 2am, man i got to know all the best party spots, drunk and stoned people give the best tips, back then anyway, weed, beer and cash.

first day of school maybe 73, purple bell bottom pants with yellow inserts, big ass platform shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.