Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many pairs of "Vise Grips" do you own???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Mar 2, 2011.

1. About nine pairs - we like em around here!
    I just can't resist this: You guys and gals remember the 2008 thread about Vise Grips (Irwin Tool) closing the Nebraska factory and sending production to CHINA? Wonder if the "outsourced" Chinese VG are as good as the old ones. I'll never buy another new pair......

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I have 1 real pair, the rest I just use to increase my fustration and pain level:eek:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know exactly how many I own or all the styles but around 15 pair all together. Most of the welding clamp style ones were hauled home, derusted and straightened so that I could use them after someone else had thrown them in the junk.
    One special pair is the pair that my late son made for me in the machinist class at Perry Tech about 23 years ago that will make an offset flange in sheet metal to overlap panels and have them fit flush.

4. matt73

matt73
    from va

Last time i counted for ins. Purposes think it was like 3oo pairs like 10 to 20 of all the different styles plus some that have cut welded and modified ya im sick

5. sololobo

sololobo

Ain't it sad when a manufacturing plant can't even make it in our low cost Nebraska small town inviroment? I have a couple of real vise grips and will hang on to those bad boys. The off shore production will probably not have the same merit. Just had to wave the good old Cornhusker flag a little. ~sololobo~

6. Do I count the one permanently clamping the battery cable onto my Nissan Frontier?

7. Racrdad

Racrdad

At least 30 pairs. Lots of different configurations. If you need a certain style and dont have it you wish you did. I bought all the ones I thought I would ever use last year when I heard they had moved production overseas. Made In The USA is getting harder and harder to come by. Hard to beat when you are clamping lots of stuff.

8. 61bone

61bone

37 at last count. From a pair that is about 3" long to one that is 36" long. Several custom ones. A couple are "new" manufacture that don't hold if opened over half way. Hooray for the China ones. I buy every set I can at farmsales and such.

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

2! A left one and a right one!

10. badlefihand

badlefihand

Have about 10 pair that work.Welding does a job on them.One of the pair let loose under the 47,broke my eye tooth,about $900 to fix .The tooth not the vise grips.

11. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Even the "Original vice grip" are made in China

12. terryr

terryr
    from earth

About a dozen 'ordinary' and about the same 'specialty'. About half are knockoff store brands. I have one with a long chain attached. I use one as a ground clamp for the mig.

Quite a few I found in trunks at the wreckers. One actual Visegrips had the upper jaw torn loose and folded back on itself. I'd like to know how that happened. It welded back together okay.

13. big bad john

big bad john

....About 10 pair......but only one good pair(old USA made) the others I should get rid of.....

14. Almost 80 pair. No kiddin'. :eek:

15. I have over 40 pairs of all different configurations , all vise grip brand. Now I'll have to count to know for sure.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I only need 2 pair... one for each nipple.:eek:

17. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I'm going to say around 10-15

18. Cshabang

Cshabang

One can never have enough vise grips...in every shape and size....Even then you'll have to cut a pair and lengthen them... have a pair of extended 24 sps' at the shop....

19. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

About 20+ some vise Grips some modified for projects all different lenghts,and sizes, yard sale, flea market finds Some of them are old and were my dads Joe

20. marfen

marfen
    from sask

My friend Leroy has at least 2 prs, obviously USA made, since he has 2 60s FORD V8 engines each hanging by a chain from the large overhead I beam in his shop. He clamped the chain to the lip of the I beam with the Vice Grips. Been hanging there for years. In fact one engine hangs over the stairs to the basement and you have to walk under it.

21. 41fred207

41fred207

over a dozen pair, different styles, some cheap, some good, bought some, "inherited" some, found some, lost some, kept some, threw some, broke some, modified some......allways use for my ground clamp when welding.

22. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

With a grip like mine who needs Vice grips:D

15 pair

23. GreggAz

GreggAz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't bother to round up any laying in the shop, here's what's in my box

24. Forgot the metric and American... get those and you'll have the whole set!:rolleyes:

25. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

total of six...all different sizes, and two more that have special jaws. I don't use them much, but like your trusty Colt....when you need it...there's no substitute.

dj

26. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

over 60 pair, some stock, some customized.

27. buckd

buckd

If you have less than ten pairs you probably pay someone else to do your fab work!

28. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

2 ... and they are both broke LOL

29. For some reason I have 9....they seldom get used and when they do, something always ends up breaking. PIA

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

3 pages on vice grips ? Guess I might as well get in on this.