Register now to get rid of these ads!

banger ice cold intake problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildthunder, Feb 28, 2011.

1. wildthunder

wildthunder
    from RI..USA

I am running a stromberg 97 on a scalded dog intake with a reds head manifold. my problem is the intake and carb gets ice cold when it bellow 85 degrees outside. This makes the engine run like crap. I made a special heat box to get hot air into the carb but I notice no one else here seems to have this problem with there hop upped banges. so what else could be the problem. it is a stock stromberg 97 ( stock jets etc ):eek:

2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

[​IMG]
    I just added more fuel. Cold air makes power:D I run mine from 28deg. to 95deg and it runs fine. When its real cold I have to let it warm up

3. Wildfire

Wildfire

Move South - I've seen mine condense water on the manifold in Louisiana, but never ice up like that.

Its an aluminum intake, not sure if that makes the difference - maybe it transfers more heat, faster. Jere Jobe set my carb up.

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON A MODIFIED t ENGINE WITH HIGH FLOW INTAKE. THE FIX WAS TO ADD A HEATED AIR TUBE TO THE CARB THROAT AND ADD MARVEL MYSTERY OIL TO THE GAS. WORKS GREAT......

5. Would there be some way to circulate some engine coolant thru some loops of copper tubing wrapped a couple times around that adapter between the carb and intake? :confused: Of course it's going to look like your making 'shine but it will give people something to talk about! :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  6. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I have a like problem with my Thickstun intake on the Flathead but really only with cold air plus high humidity... until everything is good and warm I run a little extra choke to add fuel and some Marvel Mystery oil is always in the tank seems to cure it for the most part.

7. TraderJack

TraderJack

Which is why airplanes have carbuerator deicers!
    the problem lies not with ice on the outside as that will no affect the engine. the problem lies with ice inside the manifold changing the contours of the ventury and the manifold passages.
    Almost all cars use heat on the manifold to control that.
    If you block the heatrisers on the flathead you cut off the heat to the manifold.
    that makes the engine sound better , as the cold air makes the engine run better.
    but , then when you have high vacuum and high humidity the ice forms inside the manifold.
    Ask any pilot.

traderjack

8. The stock model "A" manifold was a hot spot type manifold. The exhaust manifold heated the intake manifold. The cross section area of your manifold is a lot larger than the cross sectional area of the carburetor discharge. The intake charge is expanding after passes the through the carburetor and is cooled. Cold air holds less moisture than warm air and ice is formed.

Feel the exhaust air from an air powered tool like a grinder or impact wrench. The exhaust air is cold.

I have a the same set up as you do except I have the Riley two port head and two carburetors. I have not noticed an ice problem. It runs rough in 50 degree weather because of no hot spot on the manifold and the manifold is a lot farther away from the headers. I do not use a hood and the carbs set way up in the air.

I have thought about some kind of electrical resistance heat, installing a copper line inside of the manifold from front to back to run air from the radiator or exhaust gas from one of the header tubes. I have also thought of running engine coolant in the line. The copper line inside the manifold would also reduce the cross sectional area of the manifold and reduce the expansion of the fuel air mixture.

Keep us posted on what works and post a picture of what you have done to date.

I do not drive mine in cold weather so it is not a hurry up problem to solve. When I have problems I call Charlie Yapp. He always responds. I would give him a call.

9. wildthunder

wildthunder
    from RI..USA

I did fix the problem with a very cool looking heat tube set up and even emailed Charlie Yapp about it. He said the same thing, hot air or a heat transfer plate from the manifolds to the intake. my hot air set up works great and looks good I just wanted to find out if anyone else had the problem since I see many bangers with headers and down draft intakes. I am going to make a smaller canister that sits on the carb this spring. it looks cool from the side, I have to take some more pics to show it better. Thanks for all your replies!!:)

Attached Files:

10. I am looking forward to more pictures

11. A BONED

A BONED

Trying to resurrect the dead, I know this is an old post, anyone got any more ideas on this? I have the same issue with my model B motor running two 97's on a Riley 2x2 intake...