Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

I also thought you guys might get a kick out of this. It's a 1956 Savoy that was at the Turlock swap meet. All original 29,000 mile survivor, stored inside a climate controlled garage for 40 years. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Chilberto likes this.
  2. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

3. torch2099

torch2099
    from SoCal

i second that [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I will tell you what I think, I think that shop is cold as hell and messy to boot.:D:D And whats the deal with all that damn mopar stuff layin around!?:DAnd you know if you werent farting around with that late model Stuff you would already be driving this beast!!!!!!!:eek:

5. love the quads...MB2...

6. Kustom Kulture LI

Kustom Kulture LI
    from Amityville

Speaking of rear ends could someone post some pics of the rears these cars came with. I thought mine had the original because the lug pattern is different that the front (camaro clip), but now I'm not so sure.

7. GaryS

GaryS

If you can see through the rust...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 73RR

73RR

Wow! Where did you find that one? Galveston?
    I'm guessing that you will be buying lots of evapo-rust.

9. GaryS

GaryS

10. Kustom Kulture LI

Kustom Kulture LI
    from Amityville

Thanks GaryS, my rear is definitely not an original. It must be a GM 10 bolt

11. the bandit

the bandit
    from missouri

the 55 has allways been my car iv had two of them now no plans on get rid of this 1. im look'n for the inside windo frames for a todor coupe. back doorpanels. and back seat???

l_4ec3f9cc8b624fb2bf1f907ac5f215be

12. If any one needs a 56 Coronet 4dr V8 auto for parts or restore we have ours for sale $1000 in MO. e mail or Pm for more info solid 1 owner car. Larry

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  13. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

Dude, you got one bad azzzzzzzzz ride. You going to Santa Maria in May? I would love to see it in person.:D

14. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Can anyone advise where I can find a new fuel tank for my 55 Dodge Coronet?

15. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

The only new tank you're going to find for a 55-56 Dodge or Plymouth is one you make yourself. The tank is pretty simple, I think it would be practical to make a tank from stainless welding all the corners and edges. A good exhaust shop can usually do it.

16. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

thanks, is there any alternative to a original and making one, adapting one smiliar for example?

17. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

You can probably use another OE tank from a car that locates the tank under the back of the car.

I took a quick look at my g/f's '55 Coronet, the tank is very similar in size and shape to the tank on my '72 Challenger. Wouldn't be an exact swap by any means, you'd have to figure out the inlet and use a Challenger sender.

Most of the muscle car era Mopars had tanks under the trunk, and have reproduction tanks available. If you don't want to make one, you could take a look at the shapes/dimensions on some of the repro tanks available for Challengers, Chargers, etc. People use Mustang tanks a lot for that sort of thing too.

18. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

My 55 had a rusted out hole in the gas tank and I took it to a radiator shop who cleaned it and welded up the holes.........worked for me.

19. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

and a For Sale sign..... you don't happen to have the number do you?

20. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

really enjoy this thread. way back in 1961 i owned a 56 plymouth savoy, and being a hotrodder, bought an engine out of a 57 dodge D501 that had been totalled because of a fire. anybody familar with that engine?love to have it back! used to race that car 50 on for a mile and 100 on for a mile.the trans was so weak behind that engine that it would shuck the teeth off of low gear so just took off in second gear all the time.eventually totalled that car and insurance sold it.dark blue 2dr savoy named "suddenly" ahhhboy

21. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Boy did this thread come up at the right time, My dad just took delivery of a '56 Dodge Custom Royal w/ 39k original miles. 3 tone paint (black top-twotone green) and every option available. Absolute pristeen condition. Wanted to change color to Metalic blue and white-- told him he was nuts-- just go out and enjoy it .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  22. Squablow

Squablow

For you guys who swapped to a B-body rearend, were you able to reuse the original driveshaft, or how did that work? Because my '55 needs new rear brakes and I'm considering swapping the rearend out for a '68 Charger one that I have but I don't want to do it right away if I have to have a new driveshaft made since I'm planning a transmission swap later on and I don't want to make a custom driveshaft twice.

23. GaryS

GaryS

The method of attaching the driveshaft to the rearend is different, so you would have to modify the driveshaft.

24. DeadSledTodd

DeadSledTodd
    from Ca.

Yes sir,going to Santa Maria,never been can`t wait!!!!
    And thank you!!!

25. Squablow, on my old '56, I also had the driveshaft from the '66 Belvedere along with the 8-3/4" rear, and the plan was to install a 440/auto, so I had everything I needed. I was not sure if the driveshaft needed to be lengthened or shortend up, because I never had the 440/auto installed yet.

The easiest way would be to take your original driveshaft and one from a '65-later Mopar that had an 8-3/4" originally, and have one built from the two. You will retain the original joint up front, with the modern U-joint on the rear. I'm assuming you are keeping the original '56 transmission.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  26. Kustom Kulture LI

Kustom Kulture LI
    from Amityville

Hey I know this is a long shot but has anyone done a roll pan for their 55-56. I'm considering trying one for mine because I can't find a new tail panel and my current one is F#&*%d big time.

Attached Files:

27. Mutt

Mutt

Enjoy...

Attached Files:

28. both my D-500 and Fury have the standard mopar 8 3/4 pumkin and u-joint, those dreaded tapered axels....but they also came with those BIG 12" brakes...going to be tough to decide....[

ATTACH]1282456[/ATTACH]

fury 3.jpg

fury 4.jpg

Attached Files:

29. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Ok i'm looking for ideas, I'm wondering about 2 things. I am going to hook up the E brake on the 83/4 diff to the pull handle on the dash. I am thinking an E-brake setup from a 68-70 mopar B body (charger,coronet,roadrunner,etc.) would be the right length, anyone done this before?
    second thing, It's time too hook up transmissin lines to the radiator, i'm running a 383/727. Again I think that 68-70 B body lines would be the right length. Anyone have any ideas? or been here before? what did you use? any alternatives? thanks for any info!