Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need your feedback concerning quick change on freeway!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CheatersPete, Mar 23, 2005.

1. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

I ask my self about the noise of a quickchange axle on the freeway?

Is it a good idea to run low gear like 3.23 ? to run low rpm and cruise at 85 mph?

I want to upgrade my 48 ford banjo to quickchange.... but i want your feedback first.

thanks

Peter

2. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Now I don't know a whole lot about QC's(never could afford one) but I have ridden in a few cars with'em, I kinda liked the whine of 'em kinda made it feel like even more of a Hot Rod. as for running higher gears, you can buy 3.54 ring and pinion for a banjo for alot less money(if thats an issue) from speedway. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet(Of course I've never personally used them). Hope this helps.
    Drew

3. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I have tens of thousands of miles on a early quickchange and have not had any problems at all, the only thing i have done is new bearings after about 50,000 miles were put on it.

4. Offy

Offy

Besides the obvious good looks the quick change lets you pick the ratio that suits your changing moods, situation or wallet. Wanna blow 'em off at the traffic lights, put in a low number one that gives you RPM quickly. Going on a Interstate trip change it over to a high ratio and cruise easier on your wallet. A wrench, heat resistent gloves, pan, and a funnel and you change 'em quicker that a woman can change her mind.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have a fairly tame final gear ratio in my QC in my 29 coupe. It's around 3:00. Has worked fine for the past 15 years. As far as the noise goes, the exhaust is loud so it isn't really an issue. For some reason the howl quiets down at about 55 mph and comes back at about 65 mph, so for me I have a built in audible speed indicator. If ya got the cash, go for it!!

6. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Thanks everybody!

My model A going to run a quick change soon as possible!

7. also, straight-cut gears: noisy, helical gears: not-so noisy

8. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

= freeflow exhaust!

9. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Pick the right gears and you can have fun swapping them. On my old Nomad all I did was swap the gears to go from highway cruiser to burnout monster. Takes about 5 minutes or less. But DAMN those QC rears are expensive. As for rear end noise, get a 6-71 and open the pipes. You'll never notice the rear end whine.:D

10. If you're running a transverse rear spring you'll have to change to a Model A style or go with something different like parallel rear leafs or coilovers.

If the whine is too loud, pull off the mufflers!!!!!:cool:

11. One of the contributing factors to the noise is the condition of the gears, the mating surface of the teeth, and the clearance they run at.

I can change gears in mine and there is a noticeable differance in the noise level. But I pretty much have stayed with the same set (3A)

One thing I did do is slightly bevel the top edges of each tooth with a hand held whet stone.

There are angle cut spur gears also, which are suposed to be quiter, but they have to have some means to control the inherent thrust, which the spur gears do not. Your supplier should be able to guide you with that.
    If you're building

But, it's an open car and the wind and exhaust drown out the gear noise pretty much. A closed car could be insulated enough to cancel out any noise, I would think.