Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found in a Yard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoneSpar, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is not the 1950's, it's 2011. With Google Earth and an address, most residences & properties can be seen now (world wide), without the permission of the owner.
    If he wanted it kept a secret, it should be indoors and out of sight. :cool:

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

For my money, cars like this are left in plain sight because they LIKE the attention, and take pleasure in telling people "No, its not for sale". Probably has no intention of ever doing anything with car, just likes playing "look what I have". There was a guy like this in my home town, had a '64 fairlane 2 dr sport coupe sitting in a field parked close to the road, on the main highway. Guy was not a car guy, no plans to do anything with it, just liked to tell people it was not for sale.Car sat there for decades, eventually it got so rough everyone lost interest in playing his childish game. Once he stopped getting attention, it was hauled away for scrap.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just gotta love these "rotting away" threads.

I don't recall ever having one of these threads pop up where the guy has made a reasonable offer on the vehicle in question with a promise to return ASAP with a truck and trailer.

had my Dodge outside for a while. dude came by and asked me if it was for sale. I said "no.. make me an offer I can't refuse". he replies with how much? I told him again it is not for sale, but if you are interested make me an offer.

no offer. no promise to be back in an hour with his truck. he probably went and told his buddies about the old Dodge rotting away outside and the guy won't sell it.

if you want to buy a car that is not for sale you need to make an offer that covers the actual value of the car, and enough extra to make the owner forget why he doesn't want to sell it.

4. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. camarotim

camarotim
    from Eagle Mi.

I bugged a guy for 28 yrs on a 56 ragtop before he finally gave in and sold it to me. After two weeks of my wife saying what were you thinking. (car was in two halfs) A guy shows up with a trailer and a fork truck on it. I said it's not for sale! Took 28 yrs to get! He started putting stacks of cash on the fender. He found enough to make it worth it and left with the car "I always wanted"!! I"ve done it and it works. Show him green and be ready to put enough out. If he's reasonable You can win!! I just did this trick to get my 34 olds he really did not want to sell it. And I think I got a deal. Don't complain if you don't win. At Least you tryed. I hate to see history rotting away!

6. Tearout a deposit slip or a check with your name on it write void /save and current phone and cell no. Ask him to put it with the title or other info he keeps on the car with a note to call you first if "the day comes"

RECENTLY DID THIS ON A 69 R/T CONVERTIBLE ... "GONNA FIX IT UP SOMEDAY" ..
    LEFT CURRENT PRICE GUIDE PAGE AND CONDITION CIRCLED OF HIS CAR.. 5-6

HOPE I GET THE CALLL.

7. if a car is sitting in public view for everyone to see post it on the net,why not save the guy accross the states a trip so he can enjoy it too! timing and cash seem to be 2 key elements in a vehicle purchase but even if you have the cash and your pegged as an ASSHOLE your never gonna get it.

8. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

My local county takes aerial photos of every property in the county. Anyone can see them on their auditor's website. You can even zoom in. I have 3 cars behind my barn inside a privacy fence that can be clearly seen from above. They didn't ask me for permission.

9. You want to see something? Go to Vpike.com and search 10 Beaver Street Parry Sound Ontario. You may have to look around a bit but you will find my place no problem.....

10. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Meh...usually if I see someone outside my house with a camera....the first thing I go do is grab my pistol, before I walk outside to confront them....

Just something to think about, before ya'll start going picture snapping happy, as I'm sure there are other people like me.

11. davidh73750

davidh73750

are nomad doors same as hardtop or specific to Nomad?
    I would have no problems with someone taking pics of my junk or yard ornaments unless they put my address and phone no along with it.

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

What pisses me off the most is people who come, not with a camera, but in the middle of the night with a trailer and winch.

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

Every car show thread has pics of people's cars that were never asked if it was O.K. to take pics of them........

Anyway, on Google street view my old 54 CHevy is sitting in the driveway. On occasion I look it up just to see it in the driveway again.

My opinion wasn't asked.

Take him something running. Tell him you'll trade.

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Though I love junkyards (the good stuff keeps getting scarcer!), and seeing pics of cars just sitting and past their prime, I almost stopped reading threads like this, because they generally sound like replays of previous threads, mostly and usually trashing the owners of old cars that aren't obviously involved in a current project.

JunkyardJan made these sensible comments six years ago, and I think they are as true now as ever. I hope she doesn't mind my quoting, but she stated the case well. It wasn't her thread, "How to bribe a crusty old f*cker into selling his ride?" Contrary to the thread title, you can see that there's some universal truth to all these threads, if you sort it out:

"In every car group I've ever belonged to there has been bitchin' about this very subject. There'll be a guy/neighbor/whoever who owns a cool old car, doesn't drive it but will tell anyone who asks about buying it to fuck off. Perhaps the fact that he or she can see it every day, can tie it to a special time in their life or another reason that we'll never know is enough.

"Instead of hassling the guy with the _____ to sell, why not befriend him instead? If you're lucky he'll tell you why the '57 is special to him. I've found that most folks enjoy telling the tale of their 'baby'. At the least you'll likely get to hear some cool stories and make a new friend. If he ever does decide to allow the Nomad go to a new home, it's a possibility that he'll think of you, the interest you've shown him and you'll become the lucky new owner."

Here's another better-than-average thread:

BuzzNut, from June '08:
    Barn finds - SHOTGUN IN THE FACE? Worth the risk?

My belief is that the bottom line is treating people with respect and as human beings, not just old codgers (of which I am one). I've collected lots of things in my life, and previous owners (if and when they're ready to let go) always want their "prize" to go to somebody whom they believe will love it as much as they did. And, bear in mind, lots of people don't want to see their car rodded. Unless you know their preference, don't show up in a hotrod. Use your pickup or daily.

15. Abomb

Abomb

Well, according to the "anti-photo" guys, there goes the photo threads of all the car shows I can't go to.....unless you have the owner of every car sign a damn waiver, no pictures shall be posted......

For those of you who are about to tell me the diference between this car and a car show....there both on display are they not ? Couldn't the owner put it inside, or at least put a tarp over it ?

16. phukinartie

phukinartie

I know where a car like that is sitting too . NOT for sale! the owner gets a kick out of telling people no ..They told me that! There will come a time they are too far gone to save thats too bad ,but it makes mine worth more

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Went to a yard sale advertising car parts. Most parts were late 40's Mopar six cylinder parts which I didn't need. In the garage was a pristine 34 Ford black coupe. The only thing done to it was the doors were removed but they were there and in great condition. Asked the owner who appeared to be in his late eighties if he'd be interested in selling the 34. He replied " no, someday I'm going to fix it up." Guess he was waiting until he hit 95.

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Nomad doors are Nomad specific (straight across top)

19. duecesteve

duecesteve

m,y brother in law had a tr3 up the street from him kept asking to buy it cauz he needed to have a fourth. One day on his way home from he stopped to watch the frame break in half as some dude was loading on a trailer some people are boneheads

20. 61 chevy

61 chevy

to start with he was a fool to get rid of the doors, so let it rot away

21. Ever notice how guys like LoneSpar come on here with stuff like this and never enter back into the conversation with some significant information like. "I went back with 10,000 dollars cash and the guy still turned me down, damn". Now that I can live with. Did he really want it or was it just a pipe dream? So many dreamers. I can take pictures of shit all over the place that I can't afford either. What's the point?

22. Soreback

Soreback

This car is at or very close to the southwest corner of SE Bell Ave. and Johnson Creek Blvd. Portland Oregon just caddy corner from the Bell Station store. I think I offered the guy 800 for it in 76 or 77. You could buy a pretty one for about 4k or less in those days.

23. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  24. Damn it... Remind me to stay off your street with a camera in hand.. Seriously... You need a gun to fend off photographers??? What the hell would you pull on a guy with a video camera?? ( I have no idea why the comment sounded so stupid to me,, no offence to the gunslinger intended,) ok.. That was my drama input for this quarter... Have a nice day....

25. djmartins

djmartins

Here's another angle for y'all.
    If people didn't do this to cars, letting them sit forever in their yard, think of how many LESS cars we like would exist!

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

dead horse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.