Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

2. Dr. John

Dr. John

Just received word from Tom Ormsby that Gene Bergin passed away:

Just recieved news that Gene passed away around midnight today, don't have any other information.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Visit Our Web Sites
    Speedway Line Report
    http://www.SpeedwayLineReport.com
    Dave Dyke's Racing Through Time
    http://www.RacingThroughTime.com
    Racing Remembrances
    http://www.RacingRemembrances.net
    Vintage Modifieds
    http://www.VintageModifieds.com[FONT=bookman old style, new york, times,
    serif]Tom Ormsby[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

3. Yeah Dr. John heard the news today was going to post it, but you beat me to it. My friend told me the news as he's part Garden State Vintage Club (or however it's worded). Sad, day as he was a big part of modified history.

4. daveww1

daveww1

5. daveww1

daveww1

6. daveww1

daveww1

7. daveww1

daveww1

8. daveww1

daveww1

9. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Very sad day for those of us who new him, but now he can join his wife who he missed so much.
    Gene was a very dear friend. I rode down to Daytona with him in 1959 (I think it was 59) the first race on the "new super speedway", he had a ride I came along to watch.
    Gene was a hard charger but a clean driver. He was also a natural, didn't matter if it was dirt or asphalt, stock car or open cockpit he was that good.
    I have to admit he beat me many more times than I beat him, it was an honor just to be in the same race with him.
    RIP Gene you will be missed but you will be remembered. Denny Z

10. ricarman1

ricarman1

Everyone had to change to the big "late model" bodies in 64.

11. petecorey11

petecorey11

Apparently you do not remember that I owned the car when the picture was taken. That car was destroyed at Stafford Motor Speedway while I still owned it and while it still had that same paint job. Ed Cormie and I had a difference of opinion on who was going to buy the chassis to rebuild the car and we parted company soon after.

I hope Carlene IS happy and that you sleep good at night!!!:eek:

12. daveww1

daveww1

13. daveww1

daveww1

14. daveww1

daveww1

15. daveww1

daveww1

16. daveww1

daveww1

17. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Re: Post #9082....those group shots look like Langhorne - 1965. First year of asphalt. Anyone confirm?

Re: Post #9085 - Bodine vs. Punky....Great story & couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy (Bodine, that is). In Bugs Stevens' book he told of a similar situation at Stafford, when Bodine had wrecked him (Bugs) in a heat or maybe practice. Then on the 1st lap (or maybe it was the pace lap) of the feature someone else (forget who, but Bugs was pretty popular...could have been most anyone) who hadn't even been involved just turned right on Bodine & put him in the wall, ending his night. I never liked Bodine's "style", and I'm sure most who raced against him felt the same way. Kinda like Kyle Busch with more mechanical ability but less personality.

Re: Quote from Snape26:
    (I do remember you being married to Carlene. Seems she is quite happy with her new husband. The photo in this conversation was taken when Ed was the owner.)......I guess Snape can really snipe....meoww, indeed!

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Snape26 [​IMG]
    I do remember you being married to Carlene. Seems she is quite happy with her new husband. The photo in this conversation was taken when Ed was the owner.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18. Jared71161

Jared71161

I was never a fan of Bodine either back then (Polverari - Ya Gotta Believe). After every feature win at Stafford or Riverside Park he always made a point to mention "...something was wrong with the car, but..." My father lightly ripped Bodine in his NERFer's column one week (Speedway Scene), but then it all amplified after one night at the Park. The drivers were signing autographs before the feature and my older brother handed a Speedway Scene through the fence for Bodine to sign. Bodine grabbed it, looked up and recognized he was Bob Echo's son, threw the paper back over the fence while telling my brother; "I don't give autographs to big kids." My brother was becoming a Bodine fan and his interest in the sport was growing stronger, but after that he quit going to the races every weekend. From that point on my father dedicated a portion of his column to ripping on Bodine every week.

History: The night at Stafford (late 70's) when Geoff wrecked Kenny Bouchard in the #12 vega and during the red flag period Ronnie Bouchard went after Geoff. I don't remember if it was the same night, if not it was the same year when Bodine was being interviewed by Walsh in victory lane as the crowd boo'd. Bodine said something to the fact that the fans booing were not real race fans. Ahh, those were the days!

19. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but Bodine had his car hauler flipped over at Seekonk one night in the 70's. LOL.

20. #99 Vintage Racer

#99 Vintage Racer

Does anybody have any pictures of that? That would make any collection of pictures complete!

21. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

22. transition years
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    one of my fav cars
    [​IMG]

23. Rich, it's about time some of your work has come out from the woodwork. Good to see it out and on the HAMB. Now Pete, label them.

24. daveww1

daveww1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.