Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welder help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zombie54, Feb 28, 2011.

1. zombie54

zombie54

I'm trying to buy a mig welder but don't know what size I actually need. I'm looking at a lincoln 140. Is this big enough for a frame notch and installing a four link safely? Or do I need something with more power? I'm a fairly descent welder but on a budget like most. I will be using it on a 54 chevy 3100. any input would be helpful.

2. i believe that is a 120 volt welder. you will get a lot of opinions on this....some will say it is too small , others will say they do frame work all the time with something like that. some will say pre-heat the work and you will be fine

i say if you do use one for frame work you will be at the absolute maximum of it's capabilities. i like to have excess capacity in a welder

if it's not a 120 volt and is 220, forget what i just said

3. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Sound advice right there. Save your cash man until you can get something bigger. Pushing a welder is nowhere near as good an idea as buying one and only using a fraction of it's capabilities.

4. Mark68

Mark68

im no expert but i have a miller 130 and it does a lot but for any serious structural frame work i borrow the miller 250 we have at work.You definity want something bigger probably 220v to give you a strong weld.if you intend on running a realtively strong motor or live in a area where potholes are a problem you want to be positve nothing comes apart due to lack of penetration.

5. Definately spend the extra and get a 220 machine. I searched and found a 9 year old Miller that I've used a ton. It was more than a new 120 volt, but much better

6. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

We went through this dilemma about 2 years ago. We had a Miller 135 and it worked well on sheet metal but there was not enough penetration on frame work. I bought a Miller 180 and never looked back.

7. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I have Miller 130 as well, serves be very well on household voltage. Of course bigger is better, just like high-hp engines in luxury cars. Get the best available Name-Brand welder you can afford, and you should be very happy.

Cruise my blog (link below) I have a couple tech post where I use my Miller 130.

8. I have a Lincoln 140 and it's excellent for sheetmetal, patch panels, etc.

But I wouldn't use it for chassis or structural work, espically on a car my wife and kids will ride in.

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

A 180 series (220v) mig would be better, but, arc welders can be had cheap for the rare occasion you go over .125" steel, if cost is a concern.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A used, major brand name (Hobart, Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, etc.) welder is a perfectly viable option. You do not need a new welder. Sure, the new ones are smaller, and have nicer paint, but that may be about it.

Keep an eye on the local classifieds, or Craigslist.org for a good used one. Get one that is 220V and 180A, or bigger.

In my shop, the Miller 210 gets the most use. It is not my biggest welder, nor is it the smallest, but it will weld everything on a hot rod with ease, and without concern for safety. It is almost a decade old, and has needed nothing but consumables, and wear items (front casters).

11. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

Whatever size welder you decide is the minimum you need,get at least the next size bigger.You will never regret having more power than you need.You will always regret not having enough.

12. rustyangels

rustyangels

If you end up with the lincoln 140, make sure you have at least a 20-25amp circuit behind you, that's where the welder falls flat, also ext cords will choke it as well

13. zombie54

zombie54

Thanks for all the help. I think i got my answer. im going to save alittle more and spring for the lincon 180, i figued i would have to. they have one in the local ads used but i think they want to much for it. I might see if i can talk them down.

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is so true. I used to have a Hobart 135. I traded up for a 185 and am very happy with it. Of course it takes a 230 volt circuit to run it. The 135-140's are great for sheet metal but not structural.