Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sad news for the Twin Cities MN. car scene.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Newbomb Turk, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

A few guys and i were discussing the drive in that is for sale in Newport. It would be perfect. It is smack in between N. St. Paul and Hastings. The old Holiday station next to it is also for sale. Plenty of parking and the go kart track is also next to it and would love the business. A good friend of mine who has lived in Newport his entire life said the city is very open to new ideas for business since the highway changed. We would need to talk to the Porkys people about using the name and maybe buying the recipes for the onion rings and pork cutlet sandwich. This was a fairly serious conversation. I'll keep you posted. Who knows, maybe the Porkys folks would be interested in trying it again. This is a great location imo.

2. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

That sucks,i've got lots of video from the early 90's when i went every saturday night. Those were the days.

3. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

Yes. Early 90's was the best time down there. Montgomery Wards parking lot. I miss it. Just isn't the same any more. I do like hanging out in Anoka on Saturday nights now though.

4. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

5. Damn another hang out gone..Damn again at my age the rest home could be for me!

6. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I'd be real curious to hear where this came from. I'm on the committee Jerry mentioned. We are working with the Preservation Society of Minnesota about getting it on the National Historic Register. The main thing we did was wrote some letters, and filled out a form to get it nominated for the 10 most endangered historical sites in Minnesota list. I have heard NOTHING about it closing! They has been TALK about it, and there was discussions with both the family, and with the retirement complex about the future of the resturant. If they did indeed buy it, the retirement community owners were willing to keep it open IF SOMEONE STEPPED UP TO RUN IT!! I will check with the person I was in contact with at the Preservation Society and see if she has the FACTS!
    Lets not doom it until we know it's going away!

7. That's a huge drag if true. Get yer onion rings while you can. Progress...more housing for all us Baby Boomers. It's our fault.

8. sodas38

sodas38

Wow, that place will be missed. Hate to see it go.

9. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Everyone at the World of Wheels show was talking about it. 1 guy in particular said Nora's kids sold it. Said they got tired of dealing with the city and the police.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  10. Mr.34

Mr.34

If you are a member of the MSRA, read the March issue of the Line Chaser as I did an article on most the drive ins in the Twin Cities as we grew up as kids. There were three Porky's but this one was the most well known and out lasted the others by several decades. I am not certain this is a done deal as a dedicated group of MSRA members with the help of the city of St. Paul were fighting to get this drive in on the national historic register. The photo in the next Line Chase issue is my 57 Chevy sitting in Porky's in 1973.

11. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

There were actually a total of 4 Porky's not counting the most recent one on 18th and Central N.E. There was the one in St. Paul, the one on East Lake Street in Mpls. across from Hi-Lake, the one on West Lake Street which had a Miniature Golf Course behind it and one on 57th and Lyndale Ave. South in South Mpls. I don't know if all 4 existed at the same time. The one on 57th and Lyndale was gone before my time and I've never seen a picture of it but I do know that it did exist.

12. John Stimac

John Stimac

Mr. 34's 57 at Porkys in 1973

Attached Files:

13. so it goes if they have not the daily business or parking to keep it up 24-7 any business depending on walkin/ drivein traffic will fail.. sad but true
    see attached SUN pic

Attached Files:

14. titus

titus

I heard it was sold too but never really got it confirmed so well just have to see what happens.

I remember when i was a young it was closed for a few years.

JEFF

15. I think it closed in the mid 70's. I remember it being opened in the early 70's when I first moved to Minnesota. Love going there in the rod.
    Wish I had the money to buy it.

16. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Any new info yet??

17. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Yes, but I am not at liberty to say at this point....sorry.
    All I can say, is I am waiting to hear back whether there has been a confirmed sale or not. When I have facts I can share, I will post them on here.

18. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Well, Glenn, a good friend of mine and regular at Porkys went there yesterday and asked if they are closing and the answer is yes. End of March or early April.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  19. NOOOOOOOO!! Hafta stop and get some rings before it's too late.

20. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Well I was there today............ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....pork t and o rings no date yet but the literail boys are chomping at the bit...so ya better go now while ya can food is still tops

21. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

No......man that really sucks...

22. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

All the damn change is ruining this country! We lived in Red Wing for ten years and loved Porky's! Guess I'll put on my shawl, go to my rocking chair and clutch the spoon I stole from a Horn and Hardart Automat in the 50s.

23. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Sad to lose another one. Tough to fight against economics...

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

First Street Rod Nats in St. Paul I went to Porkys to hang out and watch the cars cruise by, neat memory. Can't find the photo of my 39 deluxe coupe in front of Porkys, to bad.

25. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Something else that's going to make it tough for summer car events in St. Paul this year is there's a lot of road construction work going on along University Avenue for the new light rail system.

26. Billet

Billet

What no more Cruiser Specials? The police had all but closed University Avenue to eliminate any potential problems with traffic at or near Porky's years ago. The west end Porky's was turned into Nora's restaurant years ago then more recently Tryg's restaurant.
    Minneapolis had a grand tradition of popular cruise spots but they're gone. The guys and gals with gray hair will remember the Sun drive in and cruising Lake street but sadly that's over.
    Progress?

27. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

The light rail construction is going to be the final nail in Porky's coffin!! They have eliminated all the street parking, and have put a fence along the main entrance during the construction according to a Porky's neighbor I have been talking with.

Then in yesterdays paper came this....

http://www.twincities.com/ci_17695867

The thinking is starting to shift to moving the "remains" to possibly the fairgrounds, or Midway shopping center parking lot if all the parties involved in such a move could come up with a plan.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  28. Lild

Lild

It seems like alot of history and character are removed from this country month by month. All in the name of progress or convenience for what? What a bunch of crap.

29. titus

titus