Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project "AREA 51" 51 Mercury update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, May 11, 2008.

1. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, what a huge project that was. Was it about '06 or so when that car was a couple of diffrent cars and a small pile of misc sheetmetal...?

Incredible work. -Abone.

2. And the finished product is... BITCHIN!

I'm glad to see you stuck with the fuel filler door, I did too.

3. Looks awesome! Great job.

4. campbell51

campbell51

You have done a great job. Very nice!

5. Congrats! Excellent Job!

6. 76cam

76cam

One Sweet Car !!!!!!!!!

7. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

great job,that was a big project the end results so all your hard work !!

8. Its been an overwhelming journey with alot of help from a bunch of good friends!!!! Abone, It was 06' and was a pile of parts and dreams. Heres a link..... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229300 Lots to do yet but just to the point of seeing light at the end of the tunnel and start thinking about the other 51 in the basement. Matt, that one is a 2 door and I was thinking about changing it to a moredoor!?!?!?!(Hope to see ya at GNRS)

I appreciate the support from all and the positive comments are what makes it all worth while...........well, driving it is nice too!!!!! KKOA, as for the door handles, this thing was GOING to be a daily driver and I didnt want to mess with poppers and such so door handles stayed,,, the project tended to get a bit off track and ended up WAY nicer than I had expected. The 51 Merc awaiting is going to be a for sure daily commuter!!! The title was a bit interesting and it took a little help from a few friends in the business to help through all that but at the end of the day it has a moredoor VIN with a coupe designation on the registration!!!!

Chopnweld, the Desoto dash looks right at home in this build and the guages are definatelly easy on the eyes on a LONG road trip, heres a pic but the paint being photogenic, doesnt do it justice!!! (column not painted yet and interior still dirty from body and paint, better pic to come)

Oh and slo54, ya its my background too!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  9. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Awesome ... great job!

10. More pics!

I have a friend is a great photog who is in Hotlanta if you wanted someone to take pics for you for a low price.

11. Holy cow! That looks awesome Chad! Wish you were rolling it into WOW this weekend.

12. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

JEEEEEEZ I thought kustoms were suppossed to be modified. I don't see much difference between what you started with and the latest pics excepted a color change. :):):):):)

13. wizkid

wizkid
    from Finland

looks really good

14. I heard you guys were tearin it up at the World Congress Center....I seen all you guys on Channel 2 News..... I had to get some done in the shop before Lefty and I head out for our yearly Grand National Roadster Show trip this weekend.

15. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hey! Following your posts on "The Merc", Admiring your Work!!!!
    And fouuur-dr, TO tu-dr....IS Spac-el!
    Definetly appreciate all the pics, Thanks

"Whar thar's Smoke....Thar's Far!"

Best to ya! :cool:

16. This one turned out very nice. It's come along way since I first got to see it.
    Now, about that '51 in the basement...

17. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Chad
    Looks sweet, more pics please. Got mine back on the ground and heading in the right direction. These sleds progress at their own pace it seems. Turn your head if you don't dig air bags; that's fine by me :)

Attached Files:

18. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Car looks AWESOME!!! I think you nailed the color man, Congrads on a cool merc build. Wish it was mine :)

19. I about had to take a second out on the house but check out this Dynamat advertisment!!!!

Attached Files:

20. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

WOW you finally finished it congrats!
    i missed your update earlier this year...looks awsome.

21. Really - You need to send those pictures to Les Noise!!
    Looks great.

22. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Wow man, just wow!! That color really sets off the deep lines on the car. Excellent choice and gorgeous car brother! Thanks again for the headlight templates. Worked like a charm!

23. banditomerc

banditomerc

Getting rid of sharp corners and improving flow are my reasons.

24. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

that came out really nice good job

25. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Looks amazing. Great job.

26. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Looks amazing Ether!

27. Just out of curiosity, how many square feet of dynamat did you use?

28. So far I have done the firewall, the roof, the floor (toe boards to the middle of the rear wheelwells), and some side panels and have used just over three boxes of Dynamat that have 36 square feet per box. I hope to finish most the trunk with whats left of the fourth box.
    I dont want to second guess this step and wonder if it would have made a difference later. I plan on driving this one HARD and OFTEN!!! So I didnt cheap out on this step. Cant wait to get some interior in it and see how it quiets down.

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the 100th time your Merc is so kool and I've enjoyed watching your progress. It is
    kool to hear that you plan on driving your Merc, nothing like driving a Kustom on the open
    road. I was wondering how many square feet of Dynamat that you used. My interior is still
    gutted and I need to start working on that and been fighting the expense of the Dynamat.

Looking forward to future updates...

Happy Trails, Mick