Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 ford f1 build questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Denno, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Denno

Denno

My names Dennis an I haven't been on the board in a while and have some questions regarding a f1 that I want to get running. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    If I decide to keep the stock trans could I just bolt up a 302?
    I've thought of doing the unspeakable and putting in a jap motor with a 5 speed tranny, and wonder would it work?
    When I convert the truck to 12 volt should I just desire everything?

I want the truck for a daily driver so I dont want a big engine and I'd like to lower the old way by doing a sua.

2. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

I'm running a 302/C-4/9" Volare w/FatMan dropped spindles!

Attached Files:

3. Denno

Denno

Very nice. How tough was the volare clip install and are parts for it easy to get? I've been researching when I can and would like to keep my truck simple as I'm broke but have no problem with turning wrenches or using a welder.

4. George/Maine

George/Maine

[​IMG]Wouldn,t you rather have a V8 and automatic trans.
    [​IMG]

5. HD74

HD74

Is there something wrong with the flathead? I kept the flathead with a updated four speed.[​IMG]
    When I switched to 12v I changed everything but the gauges, for those I used volt drops.

6. Denno

Denno

A v8 would work fine. Is there a reason I wouldn't want to use the trans? The flathead is toast and I don't think it's rebuildable.

7. George/Maine

George/Maine

I think they do make a bellhousing if you realy want to use that trans.They aren,t worth the bother to me ,better off with a 3,4,or 5 speed.Those bells are easy to find.

8. flynstone

flynstone

i have a 2.8 v6 / 200r overdrive with a camero clip i love it.

9. HD74

HD74

Well the tranny is 60 years old and was designed for a 85-100hp motor, that said. I used a T-19, I've seen them on C-list for C note. Also check out my album there's a couple of pix's of it.

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Nothing wrong with the flathead. I have high hopes of dropping a flat motor back into mine some day. Until then, it is motivated by a 351W and a M5R2 5-spd from a mid 90's F-150, and a Mustang II up front. 12V with Classic Instrument gauges.

[​IMG]

Please don't do the Jap motor thing. If you don't want a V-8, there is always Ford's big 300 six. They can be had cheap, lots of trans options, and bullet proof.

[​IMG]

11. gdub

gdub

The volare is a fairly easy install. I don't know why people say its hard to get parts for, I rebuilt mine and was able to get everything except the torsion bar bushings at O'reillys. Got the torsion bar bushings over the internet.

12. Denno

Denno

Change in plans my friend just got me a running flathead 6.

13. Denno

Denno

Could anyone help me with links or pictures of the volare clip install? A guy down the street from me can find me a vOlare or cordoba fairly easy and cheap.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Volare and Cordoba have different suspension systems under them so you want the Volare class suspension.

There used to be someone who sold patterns to cut the Ford truck frames to install the Volare suspension. Basically you notched out the frame to fit down on the Volare crossmember.
    Some info here http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...es_for_1948__1960_Ford_Trucks_Part_Three.html

More here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331903

Another option might be a Jag XJ6 front suspension from the mid 80's There are some posts on here about putting those under trucks and cars.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  15. rpol7966

rpol7966

I'd put a Jaguar XJ6 front end in your truck. They are absolutely the simplest to install. Instant rack and pinion steering and disc brakes. I have researched changing the front suspension in these F1 trucks and I always return to the Jag IFS. I haven't done mine yet but have acquired two Jag IFS units. Use a '79-'86 front IFS
    It's a very easy conversion. Do a search here on the HAMB for Jag IFS and you'll get all the info you need.

16. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Do the Jag IFS. Ford-trucks.com, the 48-69 forum has lots of info. You'll see some of the same people there that responded to this thread. The flatty would be cool, but the 300 six and the five speed would be a great daily driver combo. While I drive a jap car to work every day (miata), sticking a jap motor in an F1 will cause you all sorts of grief on any decent hot rod board. Friendly warning.

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice truck! Did you have any issues with the pan and suspension crossmember clearance?

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

man those trucks are ugly, but goddamn those are some nice examples... i like those a lot.