Register now to get rid of these ads!

another olds ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tetanusshop, Feb 26, 2011.

1. tetanusshop

tetanusshop

Hey there guys, I need some more help workin on my olds motor.Heres the deal, I cant get the transmission off! When I bought this motor I was told it was in good shape,but now that Im trying to disassemble the motor for a rebuild It is frozen and wont turn over.Ok so my question is, is there something that holds the converter in the trans? because I have the trans unbolted from the block, shouldnt the trans slide off, leaving the converter still bolted to the flywheel?or is there something holding the trans and converter together? I can only get to two bolts that bolt the flywheel to the converter, because the motor will not turn over,so I cant just unbolt the converter,see what I mean? I dont know if the converter and trans are just stuck, but it feels like there is something holding it, and I dont want to tear something up.Motor is a 1956 324 Olds with a hydromatic trans. Any info will help, Thanks again.
    Dave

2. F&J

F&J

There was a thread about this on a stuck early olds. I don't recall the key words to find it in a search.

Anyways, that's not a convertor. It is a fluid coupler that has a bunch of bolts holding the 2 halves together. It's full of ATF and makes a mess.

You need to pull the crankshaft out of the block to be able to get at all the bolts. Then inside of the 2 halves, you can remove the bolts at the end of the crank.

I'd keep trying to free up the motor first, if possible.

3. F&J

F&J

I am thinking we talked about spinning the trans to get at all those bolts? I believe we were thinking about using a punch to bang in the 2 big dowel pins on the back of the block so that the trans could be spun around?

I am not sure if it was tried or not, but it might be possible.

Edit: Now I recall that it wont help to spin the transmission because there is no access window through the trans part of the bell. Also, even if there was a window, there is no way to get a flex socket/extension up through the the upper engine bell casting on the block. I am almost sure that the guy ended up pulling the crankshaft out with the trans attached. You still might need to push those 2 dowels to be able to do that.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  4. tetanusshop

tetanusshop

Thank you F&J for your reply, yeah looks like pulling the crank is the only way,thats what Im working on now, crank wont turn though, so its giving me hell, but Ill get it. Ive got the heads off,the timing chain off, pan off,loosened the main caps,started taking out the rods that I can get to.hopefully I will get it to turn.The motor looks pretty good inside,the bearings that I removed look good. So Im not sure why it wont turn,just sittin too long I guess.Thanks again.
    Dave

5. tetanusshop

tetanusshop

Update, apparently its the wrist pins that are frozen,managed to get one piston and rod out, and the pin is seized.

6. olds fan

olds fan

pull the starter and lower bellhousing. if you can turn the engine/trans you will find a 1/8 inch hex head drain plug in the torus cover close to the ging gear. once drained remove the 30 bolts that hold the torus cover to the flywheel. now it should slip apart here.