Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's the best kind/brand of muffler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Monza 1966, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Monza 1966

Monza 1966
    from Indiana

Looking to put glasspacks on my wagon, although if anyone has any other muffler suggestions tell me. I want something that has a really nice rumble, and when you floor the gas, people know you're coming. I was going to put cut outs in it, but decided not to. I've heard of heartthrob packs, but honestly, they look SUPER cheaply built, and the website looks shady. They're what my stepdad keeps bugging me to get. Any who I'm going to be getting the exhaust done this week.

2. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

3. Barn-core

Barn-core

4. GREASER815

GREASER815

5. Monza 1966

Monza 1966
    from Indiana

Anything that's a little cheaper?

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sound like Porter is the clear top choice. Living in the Snow Belt, like you do, I favor FlowMasters when I can afford them. I wouldn't rule them out, if you're looking for something that will LAST a long time -- you know, snow, salt and sluch. They won't get you arrested, but when you floor it, people pay attention.

7. smitty's are cheap

8. I have a couple of Brockman Mellowtone steel packs, I'm happy.

9. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

You asked for best so its porters. If you want the cheapest glasspack its a tie between cherry bombs and smitty's. Smitty's sound ok, cherry bombs sound like ass, and porter's are perfect! How many times are you gonna do your exhaust? Its a once every 5-6 years expense in the rust belt, so its not like you will need to buy a set of porter's every oil change.

10. Monza 1966

Monza 1966
    from Indiana

Hm, very true.

11. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

ive got brockman steel packs on my 54 and the sound good...............john

12. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

mufflers?? what are those for?? lol that just makes it harder to hear the motor!

buymeamerc likes this.
  13. cederholm

cederholm

Porters would be my first choice - Smittys if it's a tight budget.

14. 8-Track

8-Track

You get what you pay for these days, Porters are built to last and have a very distinct sound.

15. indyjps

indyjps

I dont care for glass packs myself, too raspy / tinny. Mellow deep sound Walkers or Flowmasters are always good choices, each have many different models to choose from. "turbo" style muffler is street, race mufflers if you like headaches on lang drives.

If youre looking for a low cost option, check out summit's brand mufflers and glasspacks. I havent run them but use Summits brand on many items and the cost is in line with the quality you get.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Mufflers/Brand/Summit-Racing/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

16. SMITHYS people SMITHYS - Not smittys. (Yeah I work for them and it bugs me)
    The truth is no one can answer this question, we all like something different and our hearing hears things differently. Afterall some folks love Flowmaster and others HATE them.
    But my Coupe has SMITHYS and I love em.

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Cherry Bombs , Smithys , Porters

Retro Jim

18. porters....support a hamb vendor.

19. Everyone has an opinion on mufflers. I like cherry bombs but I also like red hots by flowtech.

if I were building a cruiser and could get my hands on some I would run Caddillac reverse flow mufflers, they are quiet and work well. But I doubt you can find any and I'm not building a cruiser.

20. shocker998md

shocker998md

if price is a factor, i just bought two cherry bombs that are 12 inch overal length, with an 8 inch long case. They were 50 bucks for both of them shipped to my door.

I would have loved to gone with a porter but I got both cherry bombs cheaper then I could have gotten one porter. Its all that I could afford right now.

Locally the chain stores normally have 18 inch cherry bombs that should sound good. The sound is going to be determined by how long the glasspack is and where you put them in the exaust system. Ill be tossing my shorties towards the back of the system.

EVERYONE has an opinion about mufflers, so there wont be a right answer for you.

21. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

I thought this was a what's the best, not the cheapest. Plus Porter is an Alliance vendor.

22. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Brockman Mellowtones Steelpacks on my F100, sounds perfect.

Brockmans, Porters, and Smithys are all that should be on a hot rod or custom.

Flowmasters sound like an outboard motor gurgling under water.

23. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i LOVE smithys.. i hope i can find a way to fit some on my current car.. they sound right on just about aNYTHING...

24. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

cheap? sound? go to tractor supply & get some tractor mufflers

25. Muttley

Muttley

26. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Got cherry bombs on my 55 and it is getting porters on it my vote is for porters,They have a good web site check em out

27. Porters on my '56 Ford Yblock. No doubt the best sounding mufflers around.

28. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

heartthrobs are good my brother knows the guys who own and operate the company and he lives bout 3miles away from their place. pm if you want more info! i like the sound of all their products. never heard anything bad!

29. boutlaw

boutlaw

SpinTech...used them on the last two cars I built. they sound great, no droning, great idle sound. They're not cheap, well made, and certainly worth the money in my book, plus they can make any size/shape to fit your ride. I get asked all the time what mufflers are on my 66 Mustang.