Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chrome reverse wheels on 60s customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philbilly, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Philbilly

Philbilly

2. It really depends on the width of the wheel. Your best bet would to give Jimmy at Ralley America a call. He builds alot of them and can give you the straight scoop. Todd

3. Philbilly

Philbilly

Thanks. I'm looking at 15x6 or 15x7. Whichever would be best? I'll call him.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

How long did it take to block sand this? Excellent![​IMG]

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

This is a duplicate of a post I put on another thread, but I still think it's pertinent to this one;

How wide is considered wide? I really like these American classics with a 1.6 inch whitewall that doesn't go all the way to the rim. How about a set of these on chrome smoothies? Or maybe some Vogues?
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Paul
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

6. Chrome reverse wheels scream '60s cruiser at me way more than supremes do. Do it and grin. :D:cool:

7. colordeluxe

colordeluxe

chrome reversed wheels are the definitive wheel for 60's customs. Please use real chrome wheels and not those dreaded cheap ass smoothies.

8. colordeluxe

colordeluxe

chrome reversed wheels are the definitive wheel for 60's customs, but please don't use those cheap ass smooth wheels. Get real chrome wheels.

9. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

what, you mean like hundreds on here use and like because they use them back in the 60s, and can't afford anything more expensive? Who you calling a cheap ass!
    Paul

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man thats nice ! I love the paint what is the color?

11. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I bought these wheels at a swap meet about 20 years ago for $30 or $40! Then at another swap meet I found these old center caps with knock-offs for $20! Just like what I see in the old magazines, especially the early 60's.

Attached Files:

12. colordeluxe

colordeluxe

Smoothies did not exist in the 60's. If you want period correct you get the right parts. Smoothies came along in the 80's as an inexpensive alternative to the real deal. You're right, alot of guys run them, but that doesn't make them cool.

13. 63 Safari

63 Safari
    from Central VA

Niiiiiiiiiiiice! ;)

14. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

thanks a lot for the information, I had no idea that smoothies did not exist in the 60s. You come on this board and you never fail to learn. Still, like you say a lot of guys including me run them, and I guess none of us realised that you were the new arbiter of what is cool.
    Paul

15. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Thanks, color is Mandarin Copper, a Mustang color.

16. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

390Merc, I am always in awe whenever I see your black '62 Mercury Monterey - looks PERFECT.

Thanks!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

17. pukejohnson

pukejohnson
    from BREMERTON

These are 14 x 7 chrome reversed.I believe the whites are one and a qurter.

Attached Files:

18. Day-um! That, without doubt, is the best looking Monterey I've seen!

19. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

I have an NOS set of the same knock offs that I am going to run on my '63 Ranchero with 13" chrome reverse wheels. The wheels have five lug centers with Ford logos and were widened to six inches back in 1965.

Attached Files:

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The first set of custom wheels that I bought in 1966 were used chrome reversed wheels. I bought them from "Randy rims" he got that name from having them on his 50 Pontiac stock as a rock 4dr fast back. We kidded him unmercifully about chrome wheels on a 4dr.

There was no way that I would put white walls on my 63 Catalina. By that time WWWs were very passe.

21. no one yet repops this style, which is to bad. I have found two sets on E-***, auctions by dumb luck.