Register now to get rid of these ads!

The rod/custom/classic you own that does it for you.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Feb 19, 2010.

1. whitey3518

whitey3518

that is bad a$$

2. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Fanstastic job on that one of a kind Hupster! I thought I was crazy for cutting my 34K 55 Olds off at the firewall to sub the Trans-Am unit in. I can see why you figure it to be a keeper for all time!

3. hupster

hupster
    from california

Thanks Whitey and Sir Woosh,
    I'm also pretty fond of my Studebaker convertible.
    Currently I'm working on a couple more familiar projects - a 51 Ford wagon and a 31 Ford coupe.

Attached Files:

4. This '66 Coronet 500 is my baby. I've owned the car for 30 years as of April '10. I've owned a LOT of cars and trucks in those 30 years, but this Dodge is my absolute keeper, regardless. It was my primary driver for the first five years I owned it, then after I got married, it became an occasional driver, instead.

I've driven it through every state West of the Mississippi, and about half of the ones East of that. Plus, it's been to Canada a couple of times, too. Won a bunch of trophies with it, been to a whole bunch of shows and cruises, and drag raced it, too. Was even on the cover of the October 1985 "Car Craft". Just in the past month, it was in a movie being filmed here in Oklahoma, called "Heaven's Rain", scheduled for release in early 2011. It is a main focus of the characters, so it'll have plenty of screen time.

Sell it? Hell, no! It would take a lot more than what the car is worth to pry it out of my hands, put it that way. It's my baby, and we have a long time together.

Attached Files:

5. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Yep, there's all kinds of reasons why our cars become special to us. Hupster lives for the different rides as you can see. Hope to see pics of the current projects soon. That Stude is BITCHIN !

And then to have a movie (leading car) like 66's Coronet? That's what hot rodding is about to me. People do better in a job when they like what they do. Your hot rod does better for you if it's not just something you got to get you into the scene, but a car you can really put your heart into.

6. great post Rick!

7. Woffie 50

Woffie 50
    from Tracy, Ca.

I'm new to the HAMB and just stumbled on to this thread. I've always been a Ford man, always wanted a 56 Crown Vic cause a guy I knew in high school had one he and his dad built (his dad owned a mechanic's shop), they put a 430 Lincoln in it...pretty cool. Anyway, when I was about 14 and pals of mine also we all learned to drive on the gravel roads of the lower Yakima valley in eastern Washington. We learned to cut doughnuts and stuff in the neighbors 52 Buick (straight 8) on the way to the country store to buy tobacco for his dad. One friend had a 55 Olds 2 door hardtop, it was cream white and tourquoise (sp). We lived next to a canal and had to use the road by it to get to our driveway, anyway this guy used to like to drive that Olds fast enough to make it bottom out through the dips and humps. It was a classic example of lack of respect for a beautiful machine. There was another neighbor whose dad bought a 55 Chevy 2 door convertible. That kid and I used to take the 55 out in the pasture and turn doughnuts on the grass. We probably didn't hurt it much though. It later got in a head-on and that was the end of that. My aunt and uncle had a 50 Olds when I was a little kid, later had a 57 and then later a 65 with a 425 in it. They came to visit one time when I was about 17, handed me the keys and said "try it out, see how it runs". Boy did we.
    Anyway, I admire you for your Olds love and all you other guys with the passion. I'm working on the Model A from my parents and love it as I did when I was a kid.

8. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I have three, my 49 Fleetline, my 51 Belair, and my 51 four door. My Four door is the very first car I ever bought(at 13 years old), the 49 Fleetline was my high school car, and my 51 belair is the car I always wanted(being a 49-52 fanatic, the Belair h/t is just short of being as awesome as a convertible). I can't wait until the day I have all of them back on the road and I get to choose which one to drive each day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  9. I had two, a 1955 Ford ground up restoration with a blown Ford 427 side oiler. The little guy is a nephew, now in his 30's.

[​IMG]

This one is my all out favorite, weighting in at 1790 lbs, running a 383 stroker mouse built for torque down low, 516 lb/ft @ 2800, to a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed and a Jaq IRS. A real hoot to drive.

[​IMG]

10. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks Droplord.

Like Hitchhiker said, the Hamb is great for sharing tech tips and mechanical help. But sharing the passion for hot rodding is important too.

Just stopped in to check and drop off some parts I didn't want to leave in the car. Heading back out for more time on the asphalt.

Thanks for sharing! ! ! ! !
    Great pics of righteous rides Deckofficer!

11. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

My 71 Ford, 030 over 390, built C6, tow vehicle. . . I drive it every day, work on it every weekend and love every minute of it! :D

12. Sir Woosh,

I am now a confirmed power to weight junkie. If I had the Track T in the late 60's, might have been my only hot rod. I'm glad I waited and gained the experiance of how well a 593 hp '55 shoebox handles and performs vs. my current tide.

13. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sure know what you are saying Deck. As rare as it would be to only date one girl ever, I can't imagine only ever having one hot rod. We keep learning each one is different and which one we'll like best.

Not quite the H.P. you mentioned, but I'm enjoying the best 55 shoebox style car I've ever owned. (Olds) The more you put into a relationship be it a mate or car, the better it gets.

And just to keep things clear, my car is not "Christine", but close to the same relationship....................... If you ever see my car and I'm not in it, RUN ! ! ! ! ! !

14. Dave B.

Dave B.

Wow! If I ever get the call to hand out the "Most Beautiful Shoebox" award, I know who's going to get it!!!

As for me, I've had a bunch of cars over the years. When I was 16, though, my dad bought a new '66 Nova SS 327 4-speed. He traded it in '69 for a new '70 Nova SS 350 4-speed. I missed the '66 so much that I dreamed about it at night. I found the one I have now in '72 and bought it on the spot.

Hmmm... I guess that means we're coming up on 39 years together! I've been offered some serious money for it, but I always tell 'em: "It's NOT for sale." That way, I don't answer any more questions! :p

I've posted this pic before, but here it is again:
    [​IMG]

15. mj40's

mj40's

For me it is my 40 Deluxe coupe. I bought it just as I was getting out of high school for $100. Dad said I would never get my money back. That was 46 years ago and it has been through 3 rebuilds, 4 differant motors, two interiors and over 250,000 miles for me. I just finished it for the last rebuild and hope my son enjoys it as much as I have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  16. That is one fine looking Nova. Is that a factory color?

17. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

what I'm flogging for round Up.....not enough time left I'm afraid, but it could happen:D

Attached Files:

18. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Looks good to me Bob. Come on up during the daylight hours, you won't even need the headlights then.

Seriously though, good looking project and I hope to see it there.

19. Hi Whoosh! ( Or should I say "Sir"? :D )

In the fall of 1957 I spotted a magazine on the rack at the pharmacy on the corner. Many will be familiar with the red '32 3-window coupe of Lloyd Bakan parked beside a swimming pool with a couple of "bathing beauties" lounging nearby. I was just turning seven years old and from then on I was designing my dream car. The older girl that lived next door had a couple of boy friends in the early 1960s that were hot rodders, one with a blue '34 chopped and channeled and one with a blue model A coupe also chopped and channeled. Those two rods and the "Cookie Car" from T.V.'s Seventy Seven Sunset Strip were further influences in my dream quest.

Fast forward almost 40 years and a buddy hands over an extra set of Pontiac tail lamps saying "you can have these if you get yer a$$ in gear and start buildin'". A ten year collect and assemble period followed culminating in my hitting the road almost 50 years to the day from when I first laid eyes on Mr. Bakan's coupe.

Of course I would NEVER part with it!

Here it is at my old public school:
    [​IMG]

And again 'round the corner from that infamous pharmacy that started it all:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the stories guys (and gals)! I luv 'em!
    -Dave

20. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Now that's the kind of story this thread is all about. Had to change the title because when I said a car that can't be bought, people wanted to argue the point that any vehicle can be bought. But in spite of the near impossible situations they wanted to argue, some of us have a car/rod that we can't imagine ever being able to sell or be without.

A lifelong dream come true is exactly what I meant and you explained it to a T. Thank you so very much for showing the passion for that one real hot rod I was talking about..............

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The one that does IT
    for me is this one ...

[​IMG]

I have owned it since the 1970's ... and have been a lot of places with it.
    California 3 or 4 times ( from South Carolina ) , Ohio, Florida and northeastern USA. Lots of runs 300/400 miles away and late evening cruises with my wife.

It has had a few different engines/transmissions and rear ends ... and redone twice since the 70's. I have built another 32 :) ... for all around better weather travel ... but the 3W will leave long before the ROADSTER.

[​IMG]

22. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

This one's been good for the last 10K miles.

Attached Files: