Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Gary Howard Fire... Spare a dime?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I remember the first time I saw a photo of Gary's 55 Ford. "Beatnick". It completely blew my mind and was my desktop wallpaper for a hell of a long time. A real visionary. With our help, and Gary's immense talent, I'm sure he can get through this ! Donation sent.
    Paul

2. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Done, good luck Gary.

3. Done, Best wishes and good luck Gary

4. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Gary and Ryan,

I also have a (brand new) IR industrial air compressor that I have been saving for my "someday" shop in my barn. But that someday has moved out so far I can't see it happening for a long time. Gary can have this compressor.

This compressor is a big one and would run a small body shop. It has a100gal horizontal tank and huge dispacement twin pump that put out way higher cfm than Gary could ever use by himself. It has a single phase 220v motor.

It is in California on a pallete and could be picked up tomorrow at my shop if someone can haul it out from California. If you can wait, I'll drag it out behind me when I come for the round-up.

John Mearns

5. John,
    I think your compressor will "trump" mine, because of the single phase part.....I don't know if Gary has access to 3phase out at his place.
    Thanks, you're now my friend, also!

6. Busnutbruce

Busnutbruce

7. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I saw a link to this Friday morning posted on John jackson's photo facebook page and made a donation , then I did the same, posting a link to a facebook account I have that is hotrod related with over 1500 friends to try and help get the word out some more.

This is a crappy situation to say the least, but just look at the family of friends, acquaintances, admirers, etc., that are coming together to help out a brother going through an undserved circumstance...

To me, that has always been a key element that I have admired about this hobby/lifestyle/what-ever-you-label-it: People with this common interest getting together to help eachother out, whether it be to help wrench on a motor, chop a top, help out in the pit at a race, or generally lend a hand with what ever you need. This type of group comes together and helps each other out, no questions asked!..... and I am honored to be a part of it.

8. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

This place is amazing when you think about it. All of these people coming together to help someone in need. Even if it's just a few bucks here and there it adds up quick.

I don't have much to donate, but if you need some plans drawn up for a new building I can help with that.

9. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Really sorry to hear about the fire! My Social Securtiy check came Thursday, still some left, LOL I sent what I could. Best wishes Gary, with your buddy's on the HAMB you'll be back on your feet very soon. Dale

10. swimeasy

swimeasy

I will get together a contribution from San Angelo and send it out!

11. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I haven't seen it posted anywhere so I have to ask, .....did Gary have insurance on his lose?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  12. Yes, he did. Dickster27. 'Nuff said!

13. Not trying to trump anyone, but California is a long way away. I've got a similar compressor to John's; 220 single phase, still on its pallet here in Georgetown, TX that I'd be willing to lend out.

Edit: Actually, it's probably not strong enough, but the offer stands.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  14. onedge

onedge

I was just checking in seeing how this was going, saw Ian's quote of "deuceman32" then went and read Doc's post which I went on by earlier... I got the goose bumps. And then a big smile. Just great...

15. Sad story. Donation sent!

16. I sold some stuff last week raising money for brake parts for a 34 3w project. Gary just got some of it. Brake parts will wait a bit... Good for you Ryan and others for wanting to help out a bud in need. Together we stand!

17. FWilliams

FWilliams

Ryan/ El Jefe ........

shipment is inbound your way to address that El Jefe sent to me, should be in his hands by Friday.

tracking number
    1zEF9770301032980

Fred

18. mj40's

mj40's

Can't win them so might as well buy them. I'll start at $25

19. Just popped a few cool items into the auctions form our sites and artist friends. Anyone want a Von Dutch German shift knob painted by CRASH!, a glitter vinyl upholstered Lucha Libre skull hand-stitiched by Carlos @ Sick Strings or a custom Hot Wheels "Deora" shift knob? An original piece of Merc art? Get bidding in the auction area. C'mon peeps. Let's show some love for Mr Howard.

20. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Thanks so much Fred. Gary really appreciates what everyone has done here. He is so emotional about it, he has hard time getting thru all the posts. That's why I am posting for him. This board's member's generosity is mind blowing and just it is heart warming to Gary and all his close friends that everyone wants and has helped so much.Gary is so touched by all this generosity that he just doesn't know what to say. And those of you who know Gary know what I mean, he's a pretty quiet and very unassuming guy, that really has know idea how much people love him and respect his work......until now and he just doesn't know how to handle the attention. I am sure you will all hear from him at some point, but right now he is still trying to just get it and himself back together so he can move forward. Rest assured he could not do any of that w/o all of your help and support and he is truly touched by the outpouring. This has really been amazing !!! and Gary will never forget it. Thanks you again from the bottom of all our hearts. Steve

21. movingviolation

movingviolation

Alrighty...... i've read this post...read it again and then once more...... It played on my mind and it tugged at the one little string that is attached to my heart....

Very limited and rare HambAndy t-shirt now being auctioned for Gary!

22. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Regarding Gary's insurance, the adjuster is supposed to come out tomorrow and take a look. Unfortunately due to the fact that this bldg that was destroyed is classified as a manufactured detached "out building" or "off premises building" I think is how they classify it, the insurance policy Gary has on his property covers his mobile home that he and his family live in but they will only give him a % of coverage on the detached buildings like this garage that burned. He is hoping for the best, but has a feeling due to the way insurance companies cover mobile homes, they treat these manufactured out buildings just the same as they would one of those metal sheds you put in your yard for storage. The coverage for loss is probably going to be minimal unfortunately and that is due to the way the companies write the policies.

23. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I was mistaken about my compressor being 220 single phase; which is what Gary needs. I heard from Steve today and he said they wanted it so I went up to my shop and climbed over a pile of stuff in a container to double check and found out the motor on the compressor is in fact 3 phase. OOPS!

SO.... here is my question; do any of you guys have a 7.5 or larger 220 volt single phase electric motor that you want to either A) donate to Gary or to B) trade for the 220v 3 ph motor that is on my compressor???

The transportation is all aranged - Ben D is out here at the Big 3 swap and offered to come by my palce Monday to pick it up and bring it back to Austin.

So please let me know right away if any of you have a motor for this so we can get Gary a compressor. I need to know tonight or tomorrow because once Ben gets headed north we will miss the transportation opportunity.

LET'S DO THIS!!

24. John Denich

John Denich

Send it anyways we will get a motor, I can bring it with me to the round up!

25. cleanfreak

cleanfreak
    from Katy, TX

I have had the great fortune to work with Gary on the paint finish and detail on his masterpiece creations for Jimmie Vaughan for the past few years. His demeanor and attitude make me grateful to be in his presence. Thank you Gary for making me feel at home at your shop. This little shop has taken Gary from the cover of Rodder's Journal to the Goodwood Festival of Speed. He is humble and has a work ethic like no other. I know that Jo Ann and Gary are amazed at everyone's generosity! I've never seen anything like it. Let's get Gary back to building his world famous customs!
    -Reid

PS The door covered from top to bottom with phone numbers has burned up. This was Gary's phone directory.

26. OK, here's how "my" compressor will still be able to help out Gary......"somebody local" needs a 3phase aircompressor for thier shop......soooo, get ahold of me and come by my shop and give a few hundred for the compressor and I'll forward it to Gary:cool:....ie: "indirect way of helping out"

27. texastramp

texastramp

Well I'll try to get a couple words on here. I was caught completely off guard when Ryan put this up and I don't know how to begin to say anything about it. The first morning I started to read the posts and all the completely heartfelt comments I had to just quit reading. I just couldn't get through it without coming apart. I found I can only look in the morning when I am most alert to keep from getting quite as emotional. Steve and Reggie and Norm and Lee and Ryan and so many others have been keeping me updated. This morning I have finally been able to get through all your posts and comments and complete generosity in total for the first time.

I have no ability to put in words how I'm feeling about all you guys and gals and what you are doing and how much it helps and what it all means to us. This is the biggest family feeling I have ever felt in my life. Damn no matter what I write, if I try to put what I'm feeling here in words it will come out all sappy.

For the moment I can only say THANKS and that I and my wife Jo Ann will try our best to thank each of you personally down the road when we meet. It seems like when we are at a show I am always so busy I never get to the HAMB meet and greet but That won't ever happen again. I don't know all of you personally but I want to.

Gary

28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary, I've never met you and might not ever, but a man is known by his reputation and I have to say that, from the testimony here, yours is tops. That's what made it so easy for me to give: the multitudes here that speak so highly of a man whose work is so universally admired and who just needs a little help to get back in the swing of things. Keep your chin up and Gob bless.

29. Brother Gary is something like the spiritual guide and guru for us Kontinentals - he's the real deal - you are never going to see some stupid TV "car builder" show about him on basic cable. Like others have said - what you see in his cars is what you see in the man. He's quiet - but deep. He is an artist and has the best eye for styling customs I've ever seen. He's forgotten more about building those old "custom critters" as he calls them than most of us will ever learn. I've been proud to know him as a friend and always enjoy visiting with him, and hearing what he thinks about while he's building a project.

I was sad to hear about the fire and his loss, but so glad that a building and some tools is all he lost here. Gary is a treasure - he does it right.

I'm also really glad to see all the ourpouring of help for Gary on here - Ryan does it right too - and I'm grateful for him and Jefe for setting the tone here - it does your heart good to see so many helping our pal out. I know Gary must be getting driven kind of crazy by all the attention (Ha!) but I know he truly appreciates everyone and all the kind words and actions you are all putting out there.

I put my money where my mouth is - hope everyone else who has enjoyed or been inspired by Gary and his work can too. Everything helps.

[​IMG]

The old shop, with Mercury Charlie's Sweet Nadine and Jimmie Vaughan's Caddy both under construction - coolness personified.

[​IMG]

Jimmie taking the hacksaw to the front posts on the Caddy

[​IMG]

Gary beside the finished Cad - the man hisself.