Register now to get rid of these ads!

318 in a 37 dodge sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kmiele, Feb 23, 2011.

1. kmiele

kmiele

Hi guys, i have searched this topic all over the web, not just on here and am having trouble finding info. Is this really that uncommon? I am helping my dad with his car. Its a 1937 Dodge sedan. Putting a 1981 318 in it. My problem is the starter hits the steering box. If i go any lower the rear exhaust port is blocked by the steering shaft. My dad doesnt want to cut the firewall and set it back that way. Has anyone done this swap and used a mini starter? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

The Mopar Performance mini starter, at least the one a friend of mine bought about 8 years ago for a 340 Demon, is an excellent piece.

You got to keep in mind that this here hot-rodding thing sometimes requires moving steering components and/or cutting sheet metal.

Hope your dad can make it work without too much trouble, but sometimes it's just the price of admission.

3. kmiele

kmiele

Haha, yeah i know things need to be cut, moved, bent, whatever it takes. I have done plenty of it on my own projects. I told him cutting the firewall may be the ONLY way to go. Just trying to find out if there is anyone experienced with this swap and see what options i have. Thanks for the info on the starter i will check it out!

4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Move the engine and trans to the right (towards the passenger side) about an inch and a half, you may have to notch and box back in the frame at the crank pulley for belt clearance. Makes everything much easier and the u-joints have enough range to cover the engine and trans shift without any problems. Gene

5. skidsteer

skidsteer

I know your dad doesn't want to hear it, but there is lots of room under that dashboard to move the firewall back. There will be a time in the future when he is trying to change some part, and he will wish he did it. I moved my '37 Plymouth firewall back 3" for a SBC, and when recently having to take out the trans, I wish I would have moved the firewall back farther.

6. why not just see if a 93 and up magnum gear reduction starter works.. they can be had for about $80 from any parts house and come with a warranty.

7. kmiele

kmiele

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think an anch and a half offset to the right would give plenty of room between the starter and steering box. I will try that and see what the clearances look like before i look into the mini starters. If it was my car i would set it back under the dash, if not just for the clearance i would do it just for the better weight distribution...

8. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

I believe I flipped the exhaust manifolds left or right. Dont remember but it exited out the front and down. missed the stearing box that way. I think it was a log style.

9. kmiele

kmiele

So i picked up a starter for a 93 dodge ram. Bolts right up, plenty of clearance! Thanks 1950coronet600hp! And it only cost 60 bucks!

10. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Awesome!!!!!
    Now get some pics of that old Dodge and post 'em up!

11. kmiele

kmiele

I will have to take some, i have been slacking on the pictures, barely have time to work on the stuff let alone try to take pictures along the way and than post them... I haven't put up updated pics of my fleetline in a while either!

12. Mudgy

Mudgy

I'm very interested in seeing a few pics too. Have a 37 Dodge, but no decisions made on power yet.
    Is anything else in the car from the newer model? (diff, etc)

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Take pictures.
    You WILL be sorry later if you don't have pictures of your projects.
    Believe me...I KNOW.

14. Seepwater

Seepwater

I put a 318 into a 37 2 dr. slantback. Didn't have any problems at all. Used center dump exhaust manifolds and mill them at a slight angle to bring them in tighter. Easy...

15. Southfork

Southfork

Is the 318 block dimensionally the same (externally) as a 360? I want to put a Dodge 360 in my '37 Plymouth Sedan Delivery. Wondering if the solutions being offered in this thread would likely help with a MOPAR 360 in the '37 Plymouth.

16. Moloko

Moloko

Yes, there is a slight height difference in the pan, but otherwise they are the same.