Register now to get rid of these ads!

suicide doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimV57, Feb 25, 2011.

1. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I have seen a lot of nice cars ruined with guys trying to do it.A lot of them wish they didn't do it but it is too late now. Miss alignment.sagging looking when opened and not being able to open wide enough for entry and exit. Good luck with your decision.

2. Sounds retarted!!!! Kinda like flaming a Chevelle. I've never seen a truck with suicide doors where it was an improvement to the looks of it.

3. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

My 70 year old dad said they called them suicide doors because in the old days when the doors flew open after hitting a bump the occupants of the car would grab the door trying to stop it and were pulled out of the car going down the road=== SUICIDE ! So ya still thinking about doing it?

4. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I plan to have suicide doors on my Cadi when it's all said and done. I stand about 2 feet taller than the car so it'll actually make getting in and out easier. I say do what you feel but hey I like reverse opening hoods too. What can I say.

5. Suicide doors can't be too bad.
    My Pontiac had them factory fitted back in 1935 ... :D

[​IMG]

6. Bigbillyrocka

Bigbillyrocka

At least he's not saying he wants "Lamborghini" doors! That would be horrendous.

7. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

The thing about this build is, its all in pieces; the doors, the cab, etc. If it was built, I don't think I would even consider it. It appears, and this is probably a simplistic view, but from what I see on the truck door jams, I could remove the hinges from the front of the jam, create a tempate for the hole on the other side of the jam and install the hinges. Of course the alignment would be critical....that is a given.

If I did decide to do this, and I'm still on the fence, I would use a dead bolt as well as the locking mechanism. By the way, the door handles will be shaved.

8. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

No, lambo doors or gull wing doors are ridiculous in my opinion - with the exception of lambo doors on a lambo...lol

9. Bigbillyrocka

Bigbillyrocka

I always heard they were called suicide doors cuz when u would be onthe side of the road and a car came and hit your door you'd be "done."

10. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I'm not sure I would really need any sort of kit to do this. The stock hinges I have are in great shape - no damage or slop in them at all.

11. shocker998md

shocker998md

I wouldnt do it, but thats because getting my regualr doors lined up and closing on my F100 is kicking my ass.

Your truck, do what you want.

12. puckm2

puckm2
    from oregon

I don't know how it proves your theory, I have $60.00 bucks in mine and it sounds he like is going to have under $100.00 in his. I would also have to say having little money does not mean good taste hence the origination if the rat f***ing rod.

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Take perfectly good doors and make them open the other way? Why?

14. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

.i like different. do the doors

15. Take a look at a rocky hinge kit,this was one of the easiest things that I did on my custom build .

16. chopt49

chopt49

I say do it... Hell it's your ride, build what you want.

17. wizzard23

wizzard23

Suicide doors look like sh*t on anything that did'nt come with them , and some things that did!

18. Obviuosly a vintage car/restorer type guy.:D

19. Heo

Heo

why waste time to change a god solution over to a bad
    is it just to be different as all the other ones
    A green dildo glued to the hood is different to

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did just that on my 48 the first time I did the doors. I cut out the whole door posts from a truck my grandfather had rolled and used those in the opposite corners and used pieces from spare doors to fit the hinges to the door.
    But and it's a big but, I could never get glass to fit in the doors because the hinge pockets intruded into the area where the glass goes. I didn't have the knowledge or equipment I have to work with now so that may have been a big part of the problem but it is something to think about.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

EXACTLY why you don't see them on most production cars. At highway speeds, you can't pull the door back closed. Instead, the door will fold backwards 180 degrees and pull the occupant out of the car if they try to hang on. Conversely, at highway speeds, the door might open and fold back so fast that you couldn't react to the situation anyway. Still, I like the "custom" look. If you do it, be sure to have a back-up lock pin (they have been sold for years). You might also try riding around for an evening in a car similarly equipped, to see how you like backwards doors. Gary

22. demmals7ytriht

demmals7ytriht
    from Speer lane

Gotta agree on this, The wife wanted suicide doors on our 37 and since it was home built I got a bunch of work in the doors. Was it worth it, not really, would I do it again, probably not. It's just one of those things you gotta do to get it out of your system... that said good luck...

Attached Files:

23. I always loved the way they looked on the old Lincoln 4 door cars,,really classy looking.

I hope I don't start a controversy,,but aren't they really called suicise doors .
    I thought that was the way the factory spelled it?
    I know some of the older guys here will know.

Tommy

24. The Shocker

The Shocker

Suicide them.I suicided a hood on a 54 Chevy just to be different and i was glad i did it afterwards .The look on peoples faces when i opened it backwards was enough to make it worth while .I saw a 49 Chevy sedan delievery once that had suiced doors and they used Camaro hinges flipped side to side and it worked out great.Only advise i can offer is to make sure you build up the rear of the door to hold the weight where the hinges attach to it ...

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

suicide, lambo, or gull wing doors are all about the same degree of stupid where I come from.

I can't picture any car that looks better with the doors open. how is that an improvement?

26. I agree 100%. Try jumping out one! I thought that this was why they were called suicide.

27. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

My 37 4dr already had suicide rear drs.but I wanted hidden hinges. I used 55 F-100 hinges, just a though, may be you could just switch sides with the hinges. I had mine rebushed before I used them.

28. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I put them on my 56 F-100. People thought it was really cool. Was fun to show. Truck is now in Chino, Calif.

29. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

I know why they call them suicide. I was riding in the back seat of my dads suicide rear door car when I was about two years old. There were'nt child car seats back then and I was allowed to wonder around the back. For some reason, I pulled the door handle on the drivers side at 50 mph. I was thrown into the on-coming lane, bounced between two cars and ended up in the ditch. My parents took me to a near-by house and after they washed the dirt off me, found I didn't have a scrach. I'm one lucky sumbitch!!

So much said for that. I own a suicide door car today and love it. It's easy to get in and out of. I'm building electric solenoid safety dead bolts and would advice everyone to think about it.

30. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

i say go for it, its not going to change how the truck looks or performs. and no one will ever notice till you get out. (just either shave it , or leave the origional door handles, dont put the handles off of a 1990's chevy truck like i see alot of)