Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Toymaker's Twin Engine Dragster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Nov 22, 2010.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hey Rocky...here's some more food for thought.:D If two's good.......

[​IMG]

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man oh man, running the valves on that would really suck, especially between rounds!:eek:

3. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Man, I got a good laugh out of this pic - Just when anyone thought of a engineering nightmare...

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

The building has begun! I using 1 3/4" tubing to give the car the look of 1959 and bent a large radius roll bar hoop with my beast of a bender, for the "Bed Post bend":D look of the era. My camera bat's went dead but here is what I got.......
    [​IMG]
    I'm trying to keep the car & engine low, wanted alot of engine "dump" but with the 28" tires I didn't get any. I'm happy though and the car will have full length frame rails on both sides, I had planned on welding them to each side of the engine plate but found a sweet spot that gets by the starter and belhousing..........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The EMT is for mock-up, I'm using .120 wall mild steel.
    After bending the shouder hoop I changed my mind and decided to use the hoop for the Roll Bar. Many use a hoop for the upper and lower rails but I decided instead of splicing the hoop into the rails (2 splices) I'll just splice the rails together at the center upright point. So after bending ea end of the rails with the beast, I spliced them with an 1 1/2" stub inside that will be plug welded........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm still deciding on what the Roll Bar design will be, I'm leaning toward a 4 point (2 rear uprights attached to the main hoop, I dunno but I'll get the batteries charged and have more photos sunday!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  5. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

" I'm trying to keep the car & engine low, wanted alot of engine "dump" but with the 28" tires I didn't get any. "

Keep the motor(s) as close to the rear axle as possible, or short 'distance out' to obtain rake. It's important to make the car 'plane out'. Maybe fabricate a high gear shaft instead of the Lenco part ?
    Are you going to have to use 28" tires?

: ) wish I was there, but you would probably run me off with a shotgun....... Tom S. in Tn.

6. Keep on rollin Roc................looks good

7. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I'm on a roll and no looking back now Tom;) I had seen a photo of a Mod Roadster years ago with a small tire "IN" the body, sitting real low and it has stuck in my mind as a look I want, plus "If it aint low it aint from Fresno" as a friend of mine says:D

8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Although not the design of Roll Bar I'll be using I like the look of the large radius Hoop. What a BadA$$ Roadser!
    [​IMG]

9. Sure allows enough room for us fat head guys. Or would that be flathead guys...........

10. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

HaHaHa, here's some more shots of progress and my straight axle I got down off the wall today...........
    [​IMG]
    There will be 2 rear supports as soon as I get more material.......
    [​IMG]
    Stuck the T150 top on to check for clearence and found I'll have to fab a shifter link as the stock shifter runs directly into the top rail, o-well.......
    [​IMG]

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's why I suggested the side shifter tranny.:p

12. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Excuse my ignorance, but you will be sitting on the right of center behind the differential ? Will the body have to be widened to fit width of motor(s) plate ?
    Using that big pic above, I think I have a visual now.
    Still wondering, will the motor plate be stationary part of the frame and motors R&R'd individually after pulling flywheel(s), or all together as a big assembly ?

Tom S. in Tn.
    Sorry for all the ??'s. Can't wait until someone posts a vid from Eagle*Field on you tube like that motor run-in one.

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the pic of The Beast, Rocky. Awesome.

14. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Originally the motorplate was going to be part of the frame (welded) but I found an area I could get the tubing past the starter so now I can remove both or an individual engine.
    I made some progress today and got the rear section all sized up and tac'd, the easy part, the little things will kill ya:D It starting to look more like a '62 or 3 with the roll cage I built, but I'm pretty happy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is how the top bar attaches to the engine, it does trap the bellhousing making it impossible to get it out without moving the engines forward but I really didn't want to cut the bellhousing more than I have.
    [​IMG]
    My goal is to have it rolling by the March Meet, we'll see.

15. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

I was just wondering ,Rocky , do you ever sleep?

16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

" My goal is to have it rolling by the March Meet, we'll see. "

I guess then we should stop asking questions and let you get to work !
    Who'd of thought that shifter would hit the top rail.
    Tom S. in Tn.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Buy stock in "Red Bull", their sales go up every time Rocky builds something!:D

18. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

O-Ya, I just get Tunnel Vision and all else suffers:D
    The questions help with solutions;) and I should of straighten'd, stood the trans up but I'll build a link like the they did in the day.

HaHaHa, I need a CostCo acct!

19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

No Problem Brer', like I said if I had too do it again I'd look into buying on as mine is still a bunch of work although it dos offer me a signature bend:rolleyes:.

20. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Lookin Good Rocky! Cant wait to see it in May.

21. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Motor', I was planning on taking it to the March Meet but I was reminded that I have to appear for Jury Duty that week and I have already put it off once:(
    I'm still not sure about the Roll Bar:confused: thinking it's just not right.....any input would be welcomed, remember we're going for the early 60's look.

22. bubba22349

bubba22349

Like a old slingshot than with a hoop on each side? Would be the very late 50's and early 60's look

23. How about this Roc, maybe a 3 point? like to see something over your noggin...................I like what you have done so far

Attached Files:

24. 296moon

296moon
    from england

I think it ether needs laying down a bit or extending for more rake, I love the looks of twin hoops but thinking of adding to mine for safety, [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  25. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Yep, I'm thinking more rake or angle, it's at 20* now. I like the 2 rear uprights due to the large radius, I'll kick it around. I'm also going to rotate the trans up a bit to help with the shifter and make room for the X members I want to put in between the rearend and engine. No photos but I have the uprights done for the rear end (1 1/4 DOM) and now just need to get after the 1/4" mounting plates. Get this thing all tac'd and turn it over to Lee for welding;)
    'Moon, Love your car!

[​IMG]

26. perkshotrods

perkshotrods

Subcribed ......Great thread

27. I think that hoop needs layed down too to get the look you're after. It's coming along great though.

28. Tony Lloyd

Tony Lloyd

Hi Toymaker....I should have written this a week ago, but I didn't want to be too pushy. It has to do with the SINGLE U-joint. That setup will not give any miss-alignment help to your transmission tailshaft, tailshaft bushing, pinion shaft, and pinion bearings. To make this reliable during launch (chassis flex) you need a very short driveshaft, that is 3" or even less. Since the chassis is not complete, I recommend to push the engines forward about 4" to 6" to allow a mini driveshaft. Sorry I was so late with this post. Tony Lloyd

29. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Tony, This will be the 5th car I've had like this (although this will be the heaviest) and I do plan on X bracing the chassis between the engine and rear end to help maintain alignment. If it fails I'll replace the joint with a coupler. The engines are already further forward than I like.

[​IMG]

30. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Jeeze Rocky, don't you have a DRAG RACE to plan??!!!

Way to go with the twin, it's looking really good!!