Register now to get rid of these ads!

2.3L Ford "Pinto" Custom Finned Valve Cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pikesan99, Jan 4, 2007.

1. pikesan99

pikesan99

Thanks for the recent input. This project is still stalled. I thought I had someone lined up to make these, but it didn't pan out. Too bad! All this interest from a traditional board like HAMB about a 2.3 motor...

Isn't there anyone reading this board that wants to make these? The design is nearly done.

2. steves74

steves74

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. budd

budd

i was thinking of tacking some 3/16 stainless strips to my stock cover, i think it would cost about $10.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You would think they are already being made since there are a ton of them at the race tracks . I know there are some after market ones made but not sure about a Alum , fin cover . Looks real good ! Good luck !

5. I have 2 for a 2.0 (Esslinger)and 1 from race engineering for a 2.3( bought on EBAY) but I too would like a finned one. Keep us posted. Thanks, Steve

6. pikesan99

pikesan99

This isn't completely dead... I'm still looking for someone to help cast these. I have a lead on a BIG company, but so far no progress. If anyone reads this and wants one, please post! It will help me sway the investment money needed to get these done.

Thanks for all the interest! Long live pinto power! (in a cool traditional rod that is...)

7. budd

budd

why dont you try makeing your own match plates, then to have them cast wouldnt cost more then $20 each is my guess, the rule of thumb is 1/8" per foot of shrinkage. go show your drawing to some out of work cabinet worker.

8. I want one too !

Attached Files:

9. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I know where there is an aluminum fondery going to waster its at a high school they used to have a trade class but it hasnt been used in about 20 years alot of great stuff Im not sure but there is a possibility it could be bought.

10. JTW

JTW

Any news regarding this, or is it completely dead in the water?

11. lorodz

lorodz

im in.. comon already .....i need one finned a.s.a.p

12. pikesan99

pikesan99

It's funny this post keep popping back up! Thanks for the interest! You'd think someone with access to a foundry would have offered to help...

If I could get 50 paid pre-orders at $200, I'd fork out the money to have the tooling made. Anyone that serious about having one? I think I could get everyone who pre-ordered a 2nd one at cost afterwards... as long as the tooling was paid for.

If not, we could have them machined and we could try... try to make them look cast? That might be a little more cost effective in the short run...

13. Rock Island Rocket

Rock Island Rocket

Have you tried to find a valve cover off of a late 80's early 90's thunderbird, they had a model that was called a turbo coupe with the 2.3, it had a nice aluminum valve cover that was ribbed somewhat. I have found them on ebay from time to time

14. pikesan99

pikesan99

Like this one? Picture here: http://www.myrideisme.com/ViewEventImage/Bonneville Salt Flats Car Show 2009/3/

I've seen those go for $200 or more on ebay... even used. They're the coolest available, by far because they don't say, "Turbo" or "Fuel Injection" on them...

15. JTW

JTW

Im in, as well as others. You should get a list of willing payers.
    But I dont want a T-bird valve cover!!. :confused:

16. Getting them cast is not a major crisis, just have to find
    a small foundry that will work with loose patterns.

But someone still has to do the final machining.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

If you need a contact for a good foundry casting form..the "Mold" I have a good source for quoting the Mold, and building the mold.

18. lorodz

lorodz

cmon im almost done with my car and i need one of these i was on e gay for like 2 hours typeing all diffrent things in to find one i only found the gay looking turbo coupe half finned one its super ugly i need a fully finned one so i can get the finned oil filter cover and the coil cover to match ...hurry up

19. pikesan99

pikesan99

Taking orders then. Who's ready to send cash?

Thanks for the offer for help on a foundry/mold maker. The patterned part would be easy to make. The part is completely designed in Pro/E 3D engineering design software. I'd have a streolith part made with the shrinkage already done. From there, just need someone to cast it.

20. lorodz

lorodz

im down to send cash i just want to make sure this thing is going to happen and its going to look and fit plus perform correctly..ive had a couple bad money exchanges happen lately ive sent cash and never got my parts ....how long is it going to take to get it made and shipped to my door .

21. pikesan99

pikesan99

I just sent a message to a valve cover manufacturer that showed interest before. I'll let you guys know what he says.

22. Looks good pikesan, not sure if you are looking for more feedback on your design. I had a UK Ford Capri that I restored 15 years ago (yikes! feels like 5) I put a 2.0 Pinto four in it and had the original cover chromed. It had a flat strip/section across the top centre, just big enough for a small Ford badge. Looked pretty neat in my mind. I always wanted people to know what it was when they looked,..I was young!

Anyways my 2 cents, an inset logo maybe?

23. JTW

JTW

Dude Im in to, just dont want to send the mula and get a VC three years later.

24. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

Not to change anyones plans but, I made this VC out of a Turbo Coupe. The materials cost $45 and there was 3 hours of CNC time. The machinist is a friend and did the programming for free. The welding and finish work I did, so I've got about $200 invested. It wouldn't look like a cast cover because of the welds, but the wrinkle finish looks good too.

[​IMG]

25. pikesan99

pikesan99

I heard back... they're all booked for this year. Said something about "the economy". Sorry guys...

26. pikesan99

pikesan99

That looks fantastic! If you're like me, everyone asked you, "What is that?" The only thing more entertaining than that is the guys who tell me how bitch'n my 6 cylinder is...
    That's a turbo tucked in their? Wanna do a feature story at MyRideisMe.com?

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

28. pikesan99

pikesan99

29. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

I have a couple of 2300 engines and have raced them in the past . I just found this thread. Near a friends shop used to be a casting place . I will try to find the name and contact info. You do not need a breather on oold engines it is in the block. But you do need at least an oil fill it needs a baffle or the cam is going to sling oil hard at it and maybe out. not sure about drip but pressurized oil to cool the valve springs is an idea. Esslinger makes a plain cover with there logo