Register now to get rid of these ads!

old auto manufactured home appliances. lets see them!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadassBadger, Oct 29, 2010.

1. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Anybody still using a Stewart Warner refrigerator?

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

We had a Ford Philco color television in the 70's. I was always fascinated by the ford logo on the front of it.

Franklin was owned by Studabaker in the 60's before White bought them out.

3. rainh8r

rainh8r

I have a 1947 Philco fridge that was the first new appliance my parents ever bought. It worked great until we moved in '95, and it's been sitting since. Dad bought a new Philco in about 1985 and it broke within a year and they were out of business.

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

OMG i restore farmall tractors. i want that fridge!!

5. GM fridge & Crosley radio...

Attached Files:

6. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

1-"Madman" Muntz
    2-Crosley

Attached Files:

7. 64chrysler300

64chrysler300

My grandparents still have a 1949 GM Frigidaire fridge out at the lake house and the fridge has been there since the 1960s. My great uncle worked at the assembly line where they built Frigidaire appliances and got a discount and bought the fridge and a matching Frigidaire stove/oven that matched it brand new for my great grandma in 1949. She used the fridge and stove until 1960, when she gave them to my grandparents when they moved into a new house.
    They used them until the mid or late 60s when they bought a new GE fridge and I think the stove quit working then, so they sent it to the lake house. Recently, my grandpa told my dad he could have it ( since we have been looking for one) as long as he puts another fridge out there in its place. The fridge is 62 years old and still running strong and were gonna keep it in the family. :)

Oh my uncle has the 60s GE fridge. He said he'd give it to me if I haul it away. It runs but doesn't cool. Is it worth fixing?

8. How about this one?

While browsing a Carter carburetor book, I discovered that Reo, who made cars in the 20s-30s including a model called the "Flying Cloud" ... was making lawnmowers in the late 40s-early 50s... also called a "Flying Cloud" .... I'd love to hit on one of those at an estate sale.

We still have my grandparents' circa 1942 Fridgidare in the basement, but it hasn't been run in a long time - it started to leak oil out of the bottom someplace. Otherwise I think it would still work fine.

9. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

heck yeah! sounds like it either needs a recharge or the thermostat is bad.

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, my gramps had an IH dealership in the 50's and early 60's, and brought home two enormous 6' long IH chest freezers, had glowing lights in the handles so you knew they were working, best freezers I've ever seen. We used to go to the volunteer firehouse turkey raffles around the area in s. central NY, a quarter a ticket, and my gramps, uncle, and I came home from Cohocton with 13 turkeys one night - freezer made bowling balls out of them in short order, stuff would last for years, zero freezer burn. Last time I saw them in '87 they were both still going strong, even the little lights still worked

11. AllenK

AllenK

Our church made the mistake of buying one of those!! The outside unit is still out front for some reason. It was before my time,but I've heard the thing was nothing but trouble! Airtemp is the brand right??

12. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

International Harvester only produced refrigerators for about 10 years before they sold their refrigerator division to the Whirlpool Corp. in 1955. They're actually kind of rare.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  13. von zipper

von zipper

14. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Seriously? I was not aware of that at all, I figured they were common, must just be in my area, i find them all the time here in Alberta.

I have the door off of a 1949 GM Frigidaire, that badge is so cool, have a spare badge too, I'm putting one on the eater/AC on my 49 Fleetline!

I have a 1931 Hostess (must weigh 500 pounds) and I use a 1943 Westinghouse as my beer/pop fridge, got it in the box of a 59 Ford F250 I bought, on it's back filled with scrap, cleaned it out and set it up in the middle of my yard on my car trailer and wired a plug on it, and the damn thing worked great, I've never had a fridge get that cold that fast, and it kicks in way less then my 90's Kelvinator... gonna test it sometime to see which one uses less power. (I honestly expect the 43 Westinghouse is better then the new one)

Does anyone know who the parent companies of Westinghouse and Hostess are?

(I'll post photos soon, they are both unrestored but cool looking)

15. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Found this on the vintage photo thread, a GM Frigidaire!

16. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

It's not that old, but I have a Chrysler window air unit. Still works.

"It goes to Eleven."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Slonaker

Slonaker

My Ford window unit died around the end of Summer... :(

Slonaker

18. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Nice! :D

Did it look cool? Any photos?

19. Stonebird

Stonebird

My shop happens to be cooled by a Chrysler air temp central air unit and I have an old IH fridge out there too.

20. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

21. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

When my grandma died my aunt moved in to her house. In the garage, still working, and as long as I can remember it was there, a FORD 'Philco' refrigerator in 1970's(?) avacoddo:rolleyes:
    I need to stop by and visit...

22. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I took photos of this Chrysler heating unit in an old building in Jamestown, NY back in '06:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry they're a little big...

23. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Chevrolet never made an air conditioner. General Motors had a Frigidaire Division that made refrigerators and A.C. The automotive A.C.s were mostly Harrison Radiator Division products.

24. I just watched "Blast from the Past" on the weekend. Christopher Walken's Bomb shelter has this kitchen!:cool:

25. alchemy

alchemy

A couple guys have posted pics of Stewart-Warner fridges, but did you know they also made glassware to store the leftovers in the fridge? And they made home radios as well. Collecting SW radios (many different models and sizes) is a BIG deal.

26. tbird37821

tbird37821

this is a 1939 crosley shelvador we restored for the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

still runs great after 73 years.

27. I've got a 47 crosley shelvadoor in the garage. My mom's next door neighbor had it out for the trash. All it needed was a new chord to replace the frayed cloth one. My mom's neighbor's mother in law bought it new in 47. I've had it for 7 years now, it still keeps my beer cold in the garage.
    Matt

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to have the old International Chest freezer that my grandparents had from about 1950 until I let my brother borrow it and he lost it when he didn't pay his storage unit bill. That was a good one too. I'm sure that they bought it from Hall-Harmon the IH dealer in town at the time.

29. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

My mother had a Massy Harris chest freezer in the farm house . bought it in the early 50's. Was still working fine when she moved out in 1975

30. marcodewann

marcodewann
    from London

Wow! its really amazing to see this one. As its 73 years old, but its seems to looking new. I just want to know is this still working now.