Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator 1946 ford tudor ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CHOPPED '46, Jan 20, 2011.

1. hello

I have a 1946 ford tudor with an 350cui pontiac engine.
    what kind of radiator do you guys use in this kind of cars when you do an engine swap ?

jurgen

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

In my 46 Ford Convertible with a 350 SBC I used a Walker with twin electric fans that almost never came on. They usually fired up just as I was parking in the garage. The radiator is a direct fit with no modifications necessary. You couldn't overheat that car if you tried. The radiator was in the car ten years and still going strong when I sold it. Walker may not be the cheapest around but they fit, work great and they last.

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

What is wrong with the radiator Ford put in it if it is good. Just plug one top and one bottom hose outlet. If it will cool a flathead it will cool anything.

Attached Files:

4. I don't have the original one.
    I have to buy a new one and I want to do it only once.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I used a '67 Mustang V8 radiator in my 47 Coupe. But, was running a Ford 302.

6. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

I used the original... and had the necks modded as mentioned above... If I was to buy one I would go with a walker or some such...

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I bought a walker for mine also. Not cheap but money well spent.

8. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I have an original that has been modified as described in some of these posts.
    It is a very good radiator, and I am asking $75.00 usd. The problem is logistics.
    The shipping cost from my location to yours may make buying a new Walker more cost effective.

9. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

My early 47 couple uses an original 47 Ford six cylinder radiator modded for the SBC383 and changed to 4 core. Works like a Walker. All my other cars have used Walkers and never had a problem once. They make one for this specific application.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Check out a Ford 5000 tractor radiator.. Looks just like original only with 2 oulets.. About $170 on ebay...........

11. 48ford

48ford

The car is looking good so far.
    Please keep in mind that the car will cool a lot better if you replace all the tin work in the front to force all the air entering the front to go in to the radiator not around it.
    I cooled a 400 chevy with the original 6 cyl radiator ,and used it for 10 years till it rotted out.I just had an aluminum 2 core built by superior radiator in Michigan for $300.00
    The 6 cyl one is smaller than the V-8 unit and it sits 3" closer to the grill giving you much needed room,from the radiator to the motor.
    The original ford radiator used 1 1/2 inlet and outlets.

For hoses you use one off a 4 cyl S-10 chevy for the bottom *(cut 1"off)
    and the top one use a hose off a 84 cadilac with a 307 olds motor,yoou need to cut some off the top hose too.
    I use a regular chevy clutch fan to cool it.
    I can send you some pics if you need them,
    Hope this helps you
    Russ

12. j's56

j's56
    from New Jersey

:):)

I used a 64 mustang v8 rad. in my 46 with a 350 runs cool with electric fan, Have 4,000 miles on it with no overheating problems in hot and humid NJ.

13. thanks for all the ideas.
    I finally got the original one from the previous owner.
    but this one will not fit (original V8) because the engine is positioned to far to the front.
    I tried to position it 2.5 inch further to the front.
    close fit but maybe OK.

thanks
    Jurgen

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012