Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do in Boston for the weekend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Krash, Feb 24, 2011.

1. My wife is there for work and I am meeting her there for the weekend. It's our first time and we are staying near Faneuil Hall. What are some good bars and restuarants? Also, what is a good Saturday afternoon activity? Are there any old car related spots to check out?

Thanks for your help!!!

2. Lots of Diner's there....I would go see the US Constitiution. Have fun!

3. Thanks Don! Are you going to Detroit this weekend? I wanted to go, but my wife surprised me with the Boston trip.

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

You could check out the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline (just outside of boston)
    http://www.larzanderson.org/Topics/Topic.cfm?TopicName=Home&CFID=18324122&CFTOKEN=97890593

There are bars everywhere so it depends on what section of town you want to see!
    If youre in southie you can go to the L-street tavern to "mess with some smaht kids" (bar used in Good Will Hunting)
    My favorite bar is Bukowski's (Tavern) behind Berklee Performance Center corner of Boylston and Dalton. Incredible beer selection and a peanut butter burger that is a must have with an order of white trash dip and sweet potato fries!!

5. Abomb

Abomb

Yes, go to the Constitution, and try to schedule it for the evening when they fire the guns.....that was awesome...

6. lawman

lawman

When in Boston, You eat "Beans"!!!!!!! LOL

7. if it is warmer the duck tours

8. cederholm

cederholm

Chowdah and Beer

9. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Belmont's Rod & Custom, Bussey St. Dedham. Billy owns the Jade Idol & a myriad of mega cool stuff. He's always glad to give the 10 cent tour. The Rosebud diner in Somerville is cool. For Italian food, Boston's North End can't be beat. Larz Anderson & the Constitution are pretty cool historical stops. If you're interested in mid-century roadside Americana, take a short ride up Route 1 North & you'll find Kowloon, Hilltop Steakhouse & a pizza joint with a leaning tower of Pisa, ( sorry, the name escapes me right now). I'd avoid Quincy Market, it's just an overpriced tourist trap. Enjoy your trip & come back when the weather doesn't suck, there's HAMB-friendly stuff to do almost every weekend in the good weather.

10. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Prince Pizzeria

I would recommend getting some steak tips while in the Boston area.
    The Newbridge Cafe in Chelsea has pretty good ones as do a lot of other local bar & grills. The grilled marinated steak tips are 'to die for,' and are indigenous only to the Boston area. I've never had them at The Hilltop Steakhouse, but they're on the menu and everything else there is great.

http://www.hilltopsteakhouse.com/restaurantmenu/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  11. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

Lars Anderson is about it for winter time automobile viewing near Boston. As for drinks and dining, there's just about anything you could want. The Union Oyster House is close and pretty good. You could also go to Durgin Park in Faneuil Hall if you want family style dining with amusingly rude waitstaff. Google "Boston classic restaurants" and you will get a bunch of links to places that will fit your tastes. Bukowski's is a nice place to grab a beer after waking down Newbury Street gawking at all the stores you can't afford to shop at. Haven't been in years, but the 21st Amendment was a fun place. Of course, there's always the Cheers bars. Go to the one on Beacon street, if you go. The biggest problem with Boston bars is there's alot of college kids everywhere. Have fun.

12. C H E E R S ....say "hi" to Norm for me.:D

13. csimonds

csimonds

You should go to the charles Playhouse and see the Blue Man group if it is still there! Great show with a good band playing the Who and other classic rock selections, and of course the PVC tube technology.... Boston is great with whatever you do! Take a tour of Fenway, catch a show at the house of Blues. It's a wicked fun time!
    Chuck

14. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

DEFINITELY go to the North End for some great Italian food. And go to Mike's Pastry. Get some cannolis. :)

Some great Bars also. The Black Rose is a great Irish bar, not far from Faneuil Hall.

Have fun!
    Pete

15. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

I second that. Good for breakfast. Try to run over a few hipsters if you pass through Sommerville.

16. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

MMMMM! Mike's Pastry!

17. Man, you guys are helpful!. Thanks. We're definitely doing Italian in the north end for dinner one night. The Rosebud diner will be a must for breakfast or lunch. That Larz Anderson museum looks really cool too. I want to check out the Trinity and Old South church. I have always liked really old churches.
    We need some chill bars so we can hear ourselves talk. Maybe some Jazz/blues or Irish bars without too many college kids.

Thanks again fellas!

18. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

You're in the right place for Irish bars.

Check out the New England Aquarium if the weather isn't nice.

19. pitman

pitman

Davis Square in Somerville is fun to check out, a bit more like Harvard Square was thirty-forty years ago. AD's restaurant, off the square was reasonable, but popular too.

20. Nope, another basketball tornament!

21. TODD BERUBE

TODD BERUBE
    from NASHUA NH

if you go to mike's get a lobster tail -way better than a cannoli

22. Thanks everyone! Lots of great ideas. The trip should be a blast.