Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nicknames for Fake White Walls???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alohadogg, Feb 23, 2011.

1. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Dog whiz targets.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Actually I did. And didn't give a crap about them back then either.

Today when I see a car with whitewalls I cringe and think how much better it would look with blackwalled tires.

Back in the time you are referring to,having real whitewalls did not always mean that you had the $, it often meant you wanted to look like you did.

You know the type, wanting to look like something they were not while almost living in a cardboard box. :)

3. I think Porta-Walls is right. I actually had a set on my high school shoebox that looked good. I deflated the tire, mounted the rim bead good and glued them with a strong ass glue to the tire. No one could tell they were fake, but man did I stay a long way from curbs!

4. adamshumard

adamshumard

around here I've heard em called spats before.

5. Porta walls had a tendency to wear around the outer circumference...looked like bit fingernails.

There was a period of time when whitewalls were common but not fashionable in hot rod/custom circles. Folks would mount the tires so that the whites were on the inside.

6. 36fred

36fred

Up here in the northwest we called them Pecker flaps

7. ironpile

ironpile

Plus you could switch them from 1 used tire to the next. This was back when ww on pickups were even cool. I just am old enough to remember.

8. nicksduce

nicksduce
    from indiana

why cover up blackwall with anything that looks like poo

9. 26 roadster

26 roadster

for a traditional site I am amazed that they are not more well liked. Alot of people ran them on the inside of a white wall tire to balance the look on open fendered cars, check your old books.
    I admit that they are the reason I dislike all white wall/white letter tires.

10. Porta-walls, ............... we called them 'falsies'.

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

Yeah thats about it. You may not have had two cents to rub together but WWs created the impression. Funny, today I was at a friends garage and he has a 55 Olds in for some work. It has blackwalls and I thought it looked crappy. The other thought was the poor guy can't afford WWs. : - ()

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Seems it is like everything else we do with our cars. It's a matter of personal choice and taste. I have always preferred the look of a nice clean blackwall tire, and having a sidewall that is proportioned properly and fills the wheelwell (if the car has fenders) is important too.

I hate the thin rubber band look that the kids (tuners :rolleyes:) seem to love these days.

I always felt that whitewalls distract one's eye from the look of the wheels, or even sometimes the paint or lines of the car itself.