Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52Flat, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 52Flat

52Flat
    from Evans, GA

Hey all,
    This is going to be pretty basic for somebody, but what is the difference in the "old vs new style intake". I have a later engine(52), so what intakes will fit? I did some searches and it sounds like they may all interchange, but I can see the one that I have has a few less bolts than some of the older stuff. When I look up new parts they are listed as ??-48 and 49-53, but then the pictures show different bolt patterns in each group. Also, I read here where someone used an older thickstun and a newer engine, but had to modify something to make it work. I won't be building an engine anytime soon, but I'm trying to learn somethings and get a game plan and maybe pick up some parts for later.

Thanks,
    M Joiner

2. 1952henry

1952henry

The intakes will swap from early/late V8s. The problem to overcome is the venting. Search for PCVs, the best way to overcome the vent issue.

3. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Yes venting is different '49-'53 has a road draft tube that connects to the left front corner of the intake and runs down the front of the engine then under it and to the rear of the outside of the oil pan. '32 thru '48 does not.

Jim

4. 52Flat

52Flat
    from Evans, GA

Thanks for the replies. I can see it now. I was looking right at it and couldn't see it. Too busy counting bolts I guess.

Mitch

5. jimvette59

jimvette59

I am wondering about the fuel pump location and length of push rod ? Jim.T.