Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration new M/T valve covers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Feb 24, 2011.

1. squirrel

squirrel

wtf?

Attached Files:

• mt.jpg
      mt.jpg
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Just another corprate ownwership juggle.

3. Thumper

Thumper

I guess with the intrest in old speed parts.......somebody was gonna do it...

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Wow, do they make them for the Dodge 270?

5. Abomb

Abomb

I'm with Squirrel, these things are everywhere used, if I was in the market, I doubt very much that I'd pay for new ones when a little elbow grease could make cheap used ones look better than new....

6. squirrel

squirrel

There are a lot of guys who want new stuff, they don't "get it" about old hot rod parts.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bet I sold 30 pair of originals on ebay back in the day. never paid more than 15 bucks at a swap meet, usually tried for $10.00. I'd bead blast them, krinkle paint them and get 50 - 75 bucks a pair usually.

wonder how much the new ones will be

8. Thumper

Thumper

Probably priced as high as Giraffe balls......:eek:

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

there was a time in my youth when I thought those were the baddest covers ever...I still have em...anyone need a nice unmolested set? :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. I don't think it will affect much price wise with older ones. Original finned Edelbrock valve covers still seem to bring more than new ones.

11. onebigdog

onebigdog
    from ca

3WLarry, are they for a SBC? I could use a nice set for my 55 Chevy Gasser Wagon. Let me know what you have, I am in Calif.

12. Rusty

Rusty

My all time favorite

13. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

What's next, red, blue, and gold anodized moroso valve covers being repoped?!?!?!

falcongeorge likes this.
  14. I bought these at an estate sale for 5 bucks,had em blasted & powdercoated.
    They look *okay* when polished,but the zinc content is so high that they dull quickley.Sold the car awhile back.
    I just picked up another set at swap meet for 30 with original black wrinkle.
    I'll do the same thing & have em powdercoated for an engine stand project.
    Building a SBC to run on a stand,,blown,,injected,,on Fuel.

Attached Files:

15. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I am pretty sure Holley bought the patterns back in the mid 80s. Nothing new, just re-released. Still too modern for old style cars like we build on this site.

16. Those were all the rage when I was a kid. In the 70s and 80s. As were red, blue, and gold anodized moroso valve covers.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm probably the only one that never liked them. They were too new looking from the muscle car era. They go well with tunnel rams...something that I have never owned. I was still stuck in the 50s.:D I skipped over that era until nostalgia came back in fashion.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

M/T started making them in what???? 1960? something like that. the ones in the style shown started about 67 or so. they were popular before the 70's and 80's

19. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

I cant believe theyd remake those. Ive had several pair over the years from trading and never got much for them even cleaned up and painted.

20. SB Chevy M/T Valve Covers - Polished

PART #: 241-82

<!-- Emission Code -->
    <!-- Product Description -->
    Flashback &#8211; 1972: Nothing was cooler than sporting around town in a hot rod with a Holley Double Pumper® and M/T® finned aluminum valve covers Show everyone how cool you are and show up sporting those same parts today

&#8220;For the custom engine, M/T offers a superior valve cover of polished aluminum for added cooling. Each die&#8211;cast cover is precision manufactured with knock&#8211;out plugs for stock PCV (smog Control) and oil fill installations. The M/T polished top cover surface may be used for engraving your name horizontally, next to the deep heat dissipating fins.&#8221; &#8211; 1972 Holley &#8211; M/T Performance Parts Catalog.

Other historic literature stated that you could expect reduced valve train noise from these cast M/T covers. We've also brought them back in the black krinkle finish that Holley & M/T helped make popular Get a set today and get back your hot rodding groove

21. ok now i really dont get it just about everyone on here says they want to see more "old style" stuff repoed then when one of the companies do ya'll bitch about it

the m/t's are some of the best looking covers out there when i was a kid i said i want a car with them on it i now have apair on my 302 and i have a pair for my big block chrysler

maybe to a few of you guys a few years ago was like 1980 (you just dont realize that much time has past) but around here you cant find a "decent" pair of m/t' s under 50.00 hell ive seen one good one sell for 45.00

i think its great companys are bringing back the old stuff and finnally listening to us the ones who buy the stuff as to what we want

22. I'm no businessman, but it's hard to imagine that there's still a demand for SBC M/T valve covers on top of the 50 billion sets they produced in the 70's. For some of the other vintage engines like early hemis and Pontiacs that might be tougher to find I can understand. Either way it's a good thing anytime a business puts their money where their mouth is and brings new parts to the market. And I can't think of cooler valve covers on an early hemi or BBC than M'T's.

23. darkk

darkk

M/T valve covers are ugly. So are the Edelbrocks that look like them. I have a tall pair of Edelbrocks on my SBC. Soon as I find something else I like...Edelbrocks's are gone!

24. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

I just noticed that Holley also rereleased the old WEIAND swing arm blower drive. I guess they are gonna try to cash in on the old is gold craze.

25. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Attached Files:

26. Dustmite Dragster

Dustmite Dragster

I bought a pair last week Used with grease and overspray! a whole whopping $10.00 im gonna polish them and use them a shelves in the man cave to hold toy cars!

27. squirrel

squirrel

I was surprised, I wasn't bitchin about it.

btw they look just right with a tunnel ram....and a square Mallory coil....kinda modern for this place.

28. Gator

Gator

Kinda surprised myself - at the Nashville swap meet seems like there was a set of those on every other table - including mine. I don't recall seeing one set priced over $50. I think I got $40 for mine, might have been $30. They've been hanging on the wall in my shop for several years.

I agree with Squirrel, I think they look right at home on a seventy-something Camaro - with a set of yellow spark plugs wires and a Weiand wire mesh air filter. They just scream 'muscle car' to me.

29. Abomb

Abomb

Exactly.....I could have bought a set really cheap, right here in town, but didn't....went with some cal-customs from a HAMBer...+ shipping of course.

No offense to those that like them, though.....

30. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Yup........I still love em. Repop or original. lookin for a nice set for my Gasser project. A great vintage look.