Register now to get rid of these ads!

Restoring rubber

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66cayne, Feb 21, 2011.

1. 66cayne

66cayne

I have an old stick shifter rubber boot that is getting a little stiff and faded. Is there anyway to breath some new life into this thing?
    I heard silicone dressings just makes it shiny and slippery but will not make it softer or black again. Someone recommended soaking it in trans fluid for a few days.. :confused:

2. noboD

noboD

Lestoil, it's an old household cleaner. Test it on something else. I softened a pair of floor mats about 4 years ago, and they are still perfect. Soak a day and check, soak a day and check, etc.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Gibbs penetrating oil is the 8th wonder of the world.

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Would that be good for wing vent rubber too? Not able to soak, but apply as a dressing. Hoping for something to keep them from getting to where they need replaced............. Thanks!

5. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

I use a product called Wurth Rubber Care. Google it for a dealer near you, I promise you'll love it! There's nothing like it anywhere. It ain't cheap, but it works!

6. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Try a product called "303"... It is a very good product.....

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You can try using K-Y Jelly but then again, it's always safer to use a brand new rubber!

8. noboD

noboD

Don't let Lestoil touch paint. I've used it as an dressing but be careful it will strip paint. Don't let it soak too long or your rubber will be 4 times too big! Powerful stuff.

9. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

You're talking about restoring rubber parts right? :D

10. When I was in highschool me and my buddy first I used it then he turned it inside out and he used it. Also works for socks.

There are a lot of products to choose from anymore and I'm not familiar with nearly all of them. But before there were all the new products to choose from we used vasoline. It wouldn't restore rubber that was cracked but it worked well on old stiff rubber products.

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

You and your buddy used KY?

WTF porky?

Oh, I've used Gibbs on rubber weatherstrip...made it nice and pliable again.

12. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I usually take a terry cloth and scrub rubber pieces with Laquer thinner. It scrubs the hard crust off of rubber, and makes it look like new. I have also saved a couple 70's rubber steering wheels that way.

13. Sorry Tex
    I've been up most of the night, I forgot it was a little early in the day for that crap.

How ya been anyway? Things poppin' for ya?

You going to come up to MOKAN this year? Lets throw down a shot and grab a burger.

14. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Haha, been good, gonna try to make it to the drags this year!

15. Look for me I'll be the guy with the tatoo, uh only one, should make me easy to find. :D

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yea, problem is, it's on his butt.

17. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Same with "Engine tune-up" by Motor Purr. Toulene and methyl ethyl ketone.

18. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I just turn mine inside out.

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

And shake the "Fuck" out of it? :D

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Lacquer thinner.....

21. ATF makes sense because it has additives in it to keep seals fresh

22. 66cayne

66cayne

Thanks for the tip but I always just turn mine inside-out when I'm done and re-use them...:rolleyes:

23. flamed34

flamed34

For rubber that's still pliable, but faded...I've used cheapo black spray paint. Once it get's tacky, use your fingers to grip it and knock the shine off. It makes old rubber (especially items like hood bumbers, door seals, trunk seals, etc) look new.

24. terryr

terryr
    from earth

I have a pair of those white rubber mukluk type boots with cloth tops. They're so old the rubber began to check and flake off.
    I used Shoe Goo and smeared it all over with my fingers. It dried clear and hard, but flexible. The boot was stiffer than before but looks like new. I just wish I cleaned them better first. Now the dirt is under the clear.

All those 'Goos' , auto, shoe, household, are the same thing in different tubes.

25. 66cayne

66cayne

Yep, did the trick. Put the old shifter boot in a can of ATF for a few weeks, took it out and washed it with dishsoap. Restored most of the flexibility and even retored the black color. Thanks for the tip...

26. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Here's what I use. 50% Gylcerin and 50% liquid soap. I've use this for years on Weatherstrips to keep them soft or to bring back old crusty ones. The good thing is you can wash it off if your going to mask the rubber parts later. A trick from my father that use to fly rubber powered model airplanes. They uses this mix to lubricate the rubber bands and make them soft.

The Old Tinbasher.

27. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I can't believe nobody mentioned brake fluid. Just don't get it on paint.

28. You can also try denatured alcohol.

29. silversink

silversink

never leave a buddy behind

30. colordeluxe

colordeluxe

Another product made just for what you want to do is Trim Re-Nu by AutoTech. No silicone,no gloss,works great. 800-545-8624.