Register now to get rid of these ads!

Master Cylinder Relocation advice (36 Dodge)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomolds, Feb 23, 2011.

1. kustomolds

kustomolds

So I am working on a friend’s 36 Dodge 5 window with a small block Mopar. Right now, the stock brake pedal is being used with an updated dual reservoir and check valves. The master cylinder is too close to the exhaust and I am looking to relocate (and possibly add a booster). I am sure this has been done before (if not in a Mopar, I’m sure in a Ford of the same era), anyone have some advice/pictures??? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

[​IMG]

Here is what I did to my 37" Plymouth sedan...

3. kustomolds

kustomolds

KJSR, That is about what i was thinking... Any issues with the push-rod moving off-center (for lack of a better term) when you apply the brake?

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Are you talking about side to side? The rod is threaded and screws on to the threaded portion on the booster. It is in line with "center".

Or are you talking about the arm going over center when depressing the pedal? I dont expect it to get there when everything is serviced but you can completely depress the pedal and it returns fine.

I did go a little overkill on the bracing for the master cylinder mount but surely don't want it to break when someone pulls out in front of me. I want to be able to mash down on it pretty good with little to no flexing.

5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Oh yeah, the parts were from a Model A kit from Pirate Jacks(?). I hacked up their pedal mount and used the booster. Beware of their cheap ass master cylinders...bout killed me when one failed completely.....

6. skidsteer

skidsteer

I left the M/C where it was, and had a 'Y' pipe fabricated under the engine oil pan in my SBC powered '37 Plymouth, so there is only one exhaust pipe, and it goes down the passenger side of the frame, well away from the M/C. It splits just in front of the rear end, giving me dual exhausts.