Register now to get rid of these ads!

Deuce 5 window body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Feb 22, 2011.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Maybe this is old news but the company making the repro deuce 5 window body now has a website. Pictures but no prices and it looks like they aren't quite up to speed yet? Site is www.uapac.com

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Link isn't working.

3. working for me

4. HotRod33

HotRod33

Looks like they are making replacement parts also that they say are to original spec's........ looks interesting but I would like to know the prices,,,,,,

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I thought the complete body was listed for $24k....or $22k as this years SEMA.

6. Tried to come up with a rational for why a body that is a repro of something made 80 years ago is worth what you could buy a brand new car for today.....

...made my head hurt.

I think it's cool they are reproducing the bodies......but damn....

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Probably because most would come close to that price trying to make an old body just as nice but I would much rather have an original. I think it cost a ton of money to get the tooling done and such which is why the bodies come to such a steep price. But that's pretty much what a SOlid '32 body goes for so if you can't find one or your skill level is not up to repairing an old one then this is an option. But whether it's a new 3w body from Brookville or a 5w from this place, have you ever seen a normal dude buy one? I think they're for the few that can afford one. The rest of us will keep playing with junk.:D

8. Thanks for posting. They make a couple of things I need for my project.

9. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I have seen new drip rails for $200 and new header panels for $125 all on Ebay. I suppose that they are their parts. Prices seem reasonable to me.

10. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I like the pictures....could have used some of those parts a few years ago.

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Speaking as an old goat Hot Rodder, we have always played with junk.

12. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

you think the price of the coupe makes your head hurt you should look into tooling costs to do something like this, they'll have to sell alot of bodies to even break even with a new start-up

oddly it's probably cheaper to buy a brand new body than to get an old one and have it repaired, not as fun and frustrating but cheaper

13. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

They gotta fix that website. What a piece of crap to navigate. How do these bodies compare to Brookville bodies as far as fit & finish?

14. We are a dealer for United Pacific and I believe that we may be able to get the bodys. United Pacific will premier the bodys at the Hot Rod and Restoration trade show in Indy within the next 2-3 weeks. We will be there and will post a thread here on the hamb with details......... www.kellyshotrodparts.com

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

15. I'm an engineer in the aviation industry. I know about tooling costs.

....it just makes me wonder how Henry could have done it back then and still managed to make affordable cars.

16. beauishere

beauishere

Having just completed a six year 'back from the dead Ford 5W' deuce project, I have mixed feelings about these steel reproductions. I'd like to wish them ill, but mostly I'd like to know where these bastards were 5 years ago. It's all in the timing I guess.

I don't know what they are charging for the drip rails but I'd have traded one of my kids back when we were in the hunt. Patching old scraps together wasn't cheap and I imagine they've figured that out.

If I ever did another 5W (yeah, right...) I'd start with these guys.

Aloha

17. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I just got off the phone will United Pacific. They told me that So-Cal. Sacramento is their dealer for all the 5w parts.The body should be ready by Sept.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Based on what you're getting, the price doesn't seem out of line.

So....

...Where are they made?? I don't like the rumor I heard.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The parts should make it a lot easier to fix the rusted or hacked up bodies that are out there now. I'd be willing to bet that they sell the hell out of the sheetmetal parts.

The complete body no doubt will be spendy but may not be that far out of reach for the guy who was contemplating giving 10/15K for a so so body and then paying someone another 10/15K to get it in top shape and those prices to get an old body in first rate shape aren't anything unusual these days.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Then they don't deserve our (at least my) consideration.

22. Toner283

Toner283

I have worked in the automotive stamping industry for 10 years. it wold not surprise me at all to find out that the tooling costs for that body were between one million & one and a one half million. Stamping tooling is extremely expensive.

For instance - to make the firewall for that car would involve at minimum 2 separate stamping dies and probably three. Multiply that by each major component - 2 doors, 2 quarters, etc & you will not be long getting a big expense list long before the first body is produced. then add in all of the little brackets & braces needed & the cost per body is a realistic number. With a new car the tooling costs are spread out over several hundred units. realistically how many of these bodies will they sell? Maybe 25,000 at the top end? likely 15,000 would be a more realistic number.

Gotta make at least the tooling costs back, otherwise why would any business bother to undertake something like this. Same reasons are behind it being made in china rather than in north america. It is much cheaper to make them overseas & then ship them to north america rather than make them here in the first place. Simple economics even if it does suck to see stuff like this being made offshore.

23. Toner283

Toner283

Here is a short video of a 2500 ton press making a firewall stamping for a modern car. 5 separate stamping dies each performing a different function. dies for low production stuff will be a little less complicated that mass production stuff but these dies are using the same basic technology that henry used almost a hundred years ago. Just thought you guys might find it interesting.

PS turn your speakers down - the sucker is loud.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SLmQ9pkEz7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

24. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Talked to them this evening...22-24K...made in Tiwan...ever how you spell it and they should be ready for customers in Sep................................AH SAW..ZAPONEEZE TURDY TU.....VERDY VERDY NICE........and people say Glass cars are not real........don't you love it...........................................

25. Well I guess we're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy. Damn. This is not a game for the faint of heart. I'm pretty sure I'll not be buying one of these anytime soon.

26. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Well crap I guess my puter don't like that website and seeing how much they're gonna be I know why.:D:eek:

27. Wonder what the price would be if they manufactured in US? At least they are getting it done and they are employing Americans in the design, creation, advertisement, and production.

I wonder what a set of those quarters will go for. I like the cataloge.

28. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Very interesting, but the way things are going on the legal front, too bad they cant repop correct serial numbers and titles for them.:eek:

29. djmartins

djmartins

Volume, SERIOUS volume!
    Prices on these repros might be a LITTLE high, but no one is getting rich off these things due to, again, volume.
    Good stuff costs good money or you could buy a new car that is mostly cheap plastic......