Register now to get rid of these ads!

Older Heathkit Tack Wiring Hookup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I did a search for wiring on tachometers, and came up with lots of info, but here is my question.
    I have a 60's (I think) Heathkit tack that has just three wires.
    Red, Black, and Grey.....
    I assume from reading the search pages that the red is battery power, the black ground, and confused on the grey, as it is a lot heavier gage wire than the other two, and appears to have two wires inside the insulation......one insulated, and one a smaller uninsulated plain wire ??
    Any help ???
    I would think that the grey has to go to the tack hookup on my HEI ignition.......but that would leave no light....maybe made like that ?? And why the two wires on one ???
    Thanks for any help, as I would like to hook it up tomorrow.
    Bob

2. shelby1

shelby1
    from Lillian,Al

First off let me say that I am not familiar with the Heath Kit tach,but from your description you are correct on the wire hookup, Red= power, Black = ground and Gray = tach pick up point ,insulated to tach point and the uninsulated wire to ground, this would serve as a shield for the tach pick up to keep interference out of the tach circuit.
    My best guess.....
    Kenny

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Chalkboard that is an awesome websight! As if I needed another site to while away the hours on.:)

I'd never heard of a Heathkit tachometer before, but it makes sense with all of the electronic kits they made they'd have something for automotive use.

Here's the picture of the tach they have:
    [​IMG]
    They have the schematics for it as well in a PDF, otherwise I would have posted it as well.

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thanks for the info....I think shelby1 has it correct for the tach I have.
    Chalkboard...thanks for that site, but my tach is not on there...
    Here is the one I have...

Attached Files:

5. squirrel

squirrel

Since it's a heathkit, you can take it apart. Take it apart, take good pics of the circuit board, top and bottom, post them here. Also the model number tag (if it has one, it should).

I do that when I need help with electronics, I send the pics to my brother, he's really good at figuring stuff out by looking at the circuit.

6. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Bringing this up again cause I just got this one at an antique store in Pasadena.[​IMG]

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I had one years ago like this. Might have the manual for this one.