Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech week 6-71 Blower rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob Kozak, Jun 2, 2009.

1. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

How much boost can these handle,how much hp can be had from a sbc with a gm blower?

2. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

Rob, that is a great tech article. I just got around to reading it. I wish I had it when I redid my 4:71. You did a lot of research and put it together in a very understandable way. Nice work.

3. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

4. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

Boost is relative to your enginr combination.
    I would guestimate if you wanted to push it with an SBC and a few blower mods you could get 15-18 lbs.

5. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

Thanks

6. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

whats best for a sbc,4-71,6-71,8-71,what are some reasonable power numbers with a hyd cam

7. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Also there are oil return holes in the lower corner of the plate that needs to be blocked off. Some guys used to use a penny but you can find small freeze plugs and loctite them in.[/QUOTE]

Is that front and rear plates, or front only? on the oil hole? and could You post a photo? I'm working on a 371 right now. Von Doc

8. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

Rob, your advice on building blowers is some what helpfull, I apreciate you useing my name and buisness for your tech article, however, you should not advise peaple on blower builds with incorrect and distructive advise on blower building. several of your mentioned techniques are incorect and will ultamatly couse blower failure. as you know I sell a cd that corectly shows step by step on converting a detroit diesal blower over to gas, I sugest you order one and see the differance, but please do not copy, share, or infringe on my copy rights, the purchase of my cds are for use by the purchaser and any telavised use is forbidden by law. To buy a copy of Dean Blowers How To CD , go to www.deanblowers.com.

9. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

the guy that wrote that article died a few years back acording to the owner of the website, again, Bad advise on building blowers.

10. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

9/16 soft plugs hammered into the bearing plate works best, counter sink with ball of small ball peen hammer and larger hammer. front plate only unless you plan on running gear oil in rear plate, ( not advised)

11. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

buy a small bore 671, a 471 will cost alot more , the snout is twice as much as a 671, the intake is allmost impossible to find, addaptor plates are spendy as well, and dual holleys are not going to fit on 471. dollor for dollor, go 671!

12. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

sbc with 671 and hydrolic cam should produce easy 450+hp just be sure and have good head gaskets and intake valve springs.

13. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

for street use and mild drag raceing the shims are fine, most of the time you can assemble the blower without shims and get added clearance, I like .006 rotor to rotor, factory is .002- .006 so I prefer the looser for long blower life over a few extra pounds of boost most engines cant use.

14. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

how many sbc engines would survive 18lbs of boost?? Not Many.

15. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

yep, but i have the best deal on bearings and seals anywhere in the world, garenteed!
    www.deanblowers.com

16. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

factory detroit diesal turbo seals are installed dry with shaft savers but neopreme seals are greased,

17. Damn Dean,,you just jump on this thread and spam the crap out of your shit,,You have not even introduced your self the the HAMB family as yet...Follow the HAMB rules....Start your own thread after you introduce your self....

18. I think Rick was OK to do what he did since the OP used his information and Rick felt the need to correct him or inform people that some of the information was incorrect SINCE HE KNOWS.

I've spent some time on the phone with Rick and have one of his blowers. I've had to send it back a couple times for problems but ultimately it was less expensive than what you could have gotten anythere else. I got a killer 671 with magnesium Mooneyham front cover and Magnesium Littlefield rear cover from him. Rick's good people and his contact information has been provided by me and several others as the go to guy for blowers. Glad to see him on here. An intro would be nice, but Rick's probably too busy building blowers to fool around on the internet for too long.

Have you got your big block running again yet Rick??? Later -Josh from ATL

hipster likes this.
  19. deanblowers

deanblowers
    from hood canal

actually I have introduced myself twice, the first time was a few years ago, forgot my password, and I was having a hard time getting it back so i started over. as for spaming, wasnt my intentions at all, just sounding off. hope i helped those that neaded help.

hipster likes this.
  20. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

check out l-m blowers in colorado, another great guy who knows his stuff and is reasonable

21. marfen

marfen
    from sask

I'm all for Rick contributing to this thread ...little easier to find the info down the road...don't be dissin an expert on the subject when he's sharing his expertise .

METAL MELTDOWN likes this.
  22. classic gary

classic gary

at the risk of getting admonished by older members, for bringing this thread up, a question:
    Do I NEED a "GT" bearing plate on both ends of a GMC 6-71 on a SBC for street/some race?
    The GT plates came with the GMC I got a couple of years ago.
    I'm thinking a GT plate on the gear end, and a Weiand, (or anybody elses for that matter), finned rear bearing plate should be plenty, I could use the room for the distributor.
    Thanks.

23. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

What about running ex-race blowers with teflon strips on the rotors for a street application? I know that it will cause some excess heat, but other than that what is the down side?

24. classic gary

classic gary

OK, so the Weiand rear plate and a GT front end plate.
    So now I've got parts for 2 GMC's and that's a good thing !:)

25. TADILLAC

TADILLAC
    from CA

I know this isn't the place for this but I have a Detroit diesel 6-71 that has been converted but still has the large tab on its side. Pm me if anyone is interested

26. If they didn't mill the tab on the side off I seriously doubt it's been clearanced and rebuilt for automotive use.

27. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey Kerry, can you tell me what it is that actualy needs to be done to convert a diesel blower to gas engine use ?
    Thanks

28. Have you read this thread from the beginning?

29. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

no, but I will now,
    thanks