Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery Truck Cab...32 Ford RPU?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, Feb 21, 2011.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Hey Guys,

I found this truck cab while rooting around in the storage garage that I'm keeping my A coupester body in at the moment. The owner is a good friend of mine, who has always been cool with me snooping around and buying up parts from him, usually. This thing was sitting not 6 feet behind me, and I never noticed it in the dank corner! He says it's a 34 or 35 Ford Truck cab that came stock with this ragtop deal. It looks like it folds up, but he says he thinks it's supposed to just come off. It has the doors in the cab and the windshield latched on the back....WEIRDNESS! Any ideas? I couldn't find any pics on Google searches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

i got nothing but it looks kind of cool

3. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

looks like a legit 32 RPU--need to see the firewall to tell for sure. good score if it can be bought reasonable., there was one featured in R and C ? this month.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The protruding firewall and the cowl vent tells me it could be a '33/'34 rpu.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Wow...thats a rare animal right there...there were only a few hundred of those things made. I watched a barnfind 32' RPU go for over 50K on ebay. Johnny

6. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Good info, guys...keep it coming. I changed the thread title to see if we can get some more eyes on this.

However, I did find a few pics of a 34 RPU...looks a whole lot like this:

[​IMG]

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Looks 32 to 34 ford from here ,Get us better pics Grille appears to be 34

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think 3W is correct. So, send me phone number and address and I'll go verify for you!!
    No need to thank me, or to hunt me down like a rabid rat afterwards!
    If your trust level isn't that high, I'd be happy to go along with you to verify what's what. Interesting enough that you can lock my wallet in the car and handcuff me.
    A nice thing about it...taken apart the way it is, there are probably no parts you can't carry out of there with one hand!

9. 562roadster

562roadster

Holy smokes! You don't see those everyday. I'd say 33-34 ford rpu also.

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

doesn't matter what year it is 32-34 if you can get it GET IT!!! i think 34's are the hardest ones to find, but i think of the 32's it was the leased number produced for that year. i might be getting the production numbers mixed up with the sedan deliveries though..

11. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I think he's actually got the frame with all the suspension sitting outside (and by the looks of it, it's been there for a few decades). I've never seen the bed, though. I wanted to get some opinions on it before going in and making an offer. I'll see what I can do.

I don't even know what to offer for something like this.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Get his take on the price...then discuss. You don't want to make an enemy here. The thing is actually insanely valuable, and can be turned into a '32 very easily. Everything there is rarer than rare...posts, top irons, etc. Onliest piece I have is the dashboard, which naturally is unique too...

13. roundvalley

roundvalley

Hope you have alot of toilet paper when you find out what those two doors are worth by themselves.

14. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

didn't notice the firewall stickin out--ammend my comment to 33/34 . still a rare bird. get all over it.

15. Smokey2

Smokey2

I Know one thing, Fer Sure......
    "I'd Get A COLLAR on it Quick!, So it darn Sure, DON'T Get AWAY!!!

Good Luck! Smoke :D

"Here's whatcha' Do.....You Just start layin' hunderds down on tha' table, and say.....Tell ME when to STOP!" :cool:
    e

16. So... how many PM's have you got so far from insanely jealous guys wanting to buy it out from under you or from you after you get it? :D

I say fuck 'em...

Shit, I can almost see the quivering of their hands on the keyboard and the sweat on their brows... just hoping they are the chosen one... pffft...

Ask the old guy what he wants for it... and buy it.

Sell the "coupester" and whatever car shit you have if you have to.

Build it and have fun with it... I think you'll be the envy of even the '32 3 window guys...

Then... if you DO decide to turn it... you'll know what it's worth.

But owning something like that... jeez... would be cool.

Sam

17. Definatly a 33-34 RDST PU. Hope you score. it will be a good day

18. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

LOL!!! Too damn funny.

I almost made an offer on it this afternoon, but I know that there's a way of talking about it to him. I've already planted some very compelling seeds, so we'll see what happens. I'll probably go back over there tomorrow and see if I can get the ball really rolling.

I didn't really know how desirable it was, but even at that, I knew I wasn't going to divulge any locations on it. I just got into rodding about 2 years ago, and I don't really have a "crew" in my area that tells me what's cool and what's bling. But as it relates to the sniping, I know how people can be, unfortunately. I'm about the only guy in the room who honors that type of stuff, seems to be. Plus, even if I did broadcast it or someone figured it out and showed up, he and his family would be VERY pissed at me. I couldn't abide that, they're really good people who have done a lot for me and mine. When it comes to stuff like that, I'm extremely vindictive.

19. You say, "any idea what you'd want to part with that pile in the corner and whatever all goes to it?"

20. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

I'm not one for 32 Fords like most, but a 32 RPU is on my list of dream machines for sure. I love the one that has come out of the Bruce's Rod Shop camp in Texas. It's tits.

21. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

What the hell am I missing? I don't see anything in those pics that even looks remotely like a pickup, except for the doors.

Straight30weight likes this.
  22. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Rotate the first picture counter-clockwise 90 degrees. After that, the back of the cab is on your left, the cowl on your right...use the doors to bridge that gap. All that cloth is the tattered convertible top. There's no bed around it in the storage unit. The grill is on top of how it sits now, along with the windshield.

23. kingofthestreet

kingofthestreet

Poboyross
    Seeing how valuable and rare the RPU is an your limited Hot Rod building experience...I would buy the RPU and sale it to one of the guys on the Hamb that has the $$$$$ to restore it. Then take the profit and buy some parts for your current project.

24. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

my cousin knows of a 32 RPU that the family has owned sense new, it a 1 ton but i wouldn't be picky!! all i know is if you score this for a great price, your not allowed to find any other rare bitchn stuff for at least 10yrs!:D:D

25. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Or....I could buy it, hold onto it, burnish my skills and experience through careful study and help from my friends on the HAMB, and keep it, should I be able to obtain it. No project is *too good* for someone who has the appropriate mindset to learn. I built (am still building) my 50 Chevy, in my driveway, with limited tools, all by myself...with only the HAMB and the internet to guide me. I have (experienced and honest) friends now who come over and can't believe I went from no knowledge about this whatsoever about 2 years ago, to this. Why should I limit myself? Who said that I don't have the funds to do it properly?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  26. damnfingers

damnfingers

Ditto! Even rotating the picture didn't help. Any chance you can get better photos?

27. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I finally saw it! LOL. Rotate the first pic CLOCKWISE, and the sort of tan colored thing is the cowl, you can see the cowl vent is open.

28. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Now you see why I didn't notice it for so long....I had poked and prodded ALL around that thing on multiple occasions, but just walked right by it!

29. Was told by a top notch fabricator in Southern California, a complete '32 (and probably '33/'34) RPU cab with doors and all the little bits (windshield posts/frame, dash rail, etc.) in the perfect market is in the $40,000 value range...just sayin'

Steve
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

30. It is a roadster pickup cab ( open cab) From the looks of the grill shell it looks to be a 34. Ford made less of the 34 than any year. Look at the frame 106" w/b for 32 and 112" w/b for 33-34 If it is a pickup Ford also made open cabs on big trucks. I sure do enjoy my 32 pickup

Bruce

kidcampbell71 likes this.