Register now to get rid of these ads!

multi carbed 302 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparmaddnes, Feb 21, 2011.

1. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

I am going to be getting on 87' f150 with a 302 and 4spd. Couple questions. How good is that tranny? What are my options for running three carbs? Any info is appreciated. I have used the search and wasn't able to find what I wanted. Thanks Matt

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This is getting ridiculous! 87 F150??!! WTF??!!

3. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

I don't think it's rediculas at all I am getting the engine from that truck and will be looking for a model a or duece to put it in.
    Matt

4. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Maybe, just maybe he's going to be using the motor and trans in another project. Would someone in their right mind really put a tri power set up on an 87 F150!!!:eek:

5. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

I'm sure the tranny is tough enough, but not really suited for a car-style driving...unless it's one of those 3 speed with OD trannies?...otherwise I'd venture to say you'd not enjoy it in a Model A or a Duece.

Carb intakes are abundant, seach the swap site, EBAY Jegs/Summit etc and price them out.

6. You could avoid the drama by suggesting that in the first place.

no offense to you but this place has become a magnet for everyone's OT crap here lately.

The tranny should be either a 3 speed OD or a granny 4 speed. I believe they came both ways. The OD 4 speed would work fine in an A bone.

The older 3 duece setup with the holley 2 bbls was a good setup. I don't think they came optional on anything but they could be had from Ford.

7. That tranny might either have a realy low granny first gear, or a really high O.D. 4th gear. For a intelligent answer, you'll need all your ducks in a row reagarding the rear your gonna run { ratio wise } rear tire O.D. too. It will just take some planning on your part. Same with the induction, careful planning and the right combination as to not over carb the small block. Yes it can be done.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, if you had said "I am looking at putting an '87 302 in my Model A" that would have been a big help. And there have been guys posting shit like that on here lately, so with the way your post was worded, it wasnt a stretch AT ALL for me to assume that was where you were going.The LAST thing we need on here is for guys to start posting threads on '80s ford PUs. The next step is 5.0 mustangs.

Ans as other guys have mentioned, the truck trans is not a good choice. Or when you say "4-speed" do you mean AOD?

9. 61falcon

61falcon

its not a combo for performance, but it should prove reliable. the engine probably wont like alot of cfm, so dont go nuts with carbs. dress it with some finned valve covers or older stamped steel covers from a 289 and nobody will know its a late model engine.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And the 3-deuce intake is available re-pop from Blue thunder.

11. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Summit sells a complete package with 3 deuces and a manifold, linkage and air cleaners but it's stiff price wise. I think off the top of head like $2,500

Edelbrock makes a nice low rise dual quad manifold that my also be an option for yea!

12. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

world class 5 speed... and call it a day....

13. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

I appoligize for not putting that in the first post. Yeah it has been getting a little bit crazy w/ the off topic stuff. I am kinda getting ahead of myself, but am getting the truck from the father-in-law to help with medical bills. want to get a duece or model a 5 window to put it into, but that will have to wait a little bit. I want to start picking up parts along the way though. How would I tell if it is 3spd w/od or granny 4spd? Thanks
    Matt

14. If it's a auto tranny, that can be a AOD, or a AODE, the E requiring a little more work and componants to make things happen. If you have a whole parts vehicle it shouldn't be a problem. I would "THINK" AOD in 87, a fairly simple install, and can handle approx 450 HP "set up correctly".

15. Matt drive it. If its the 4 speed with double grandmaw you won't get past about 5 mph in first. The 4 speed Od tranny had a chrome stick if I recall and maybe it would say OD for forth on the shift ball.

16. If you let out the clutch in first at idle and it just starts walkin, its the granny. ;)

17. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

I have scoured high and low for a SBF 3x2 manifold that uses 3 bolt carbs and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. Your best bet would be a 3x2 manifold like the Blue Thunder listed above with Rochester carbs or use 4-3bolt adapters to fit your Holleys/Strombergs to the Rochester manifold.

You could also use a 3x2 to 4bbl adapter like the one Speedway sells.

Here's my recent thread with some people's examples/suggestions.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558538

18. I was actully talking about the holleys that looked like half a 4 bbl. That was what ford sold for them way back when. they worked well.

19. 65COMET

65COMET

If you look at the trans a toploader 3 with over drive fourth will look like a normal toploader[only aluminum] with the shifter arms not drilled and the linkage is internal.The granny low trans will have a round bottom and the shifter comes out fairly centered in the top of the trans and it is cast iron.The three speed with overdrive is not that strong but in a light coupe and mild HP it will be fine. ROY.

20. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

here is a picture of my 3-2 setup using Rochesters

Attached Files:

21. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

The intake I think is "Ford Cobra". I'm not sure if it was for a 302 or bigger. I would go with the 5 speed or compensate gears in the rearend.

22. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

The one in my picture is a Blue Thunder repop of the one Ford offered in the early 60's for the SBF 260 then 289. I have never seen 3-2s on a Cobra. The factory offered 2-4 or Webers on Cobras.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Or 1x4. But no 3x2s on Cobras.

24. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

Thanks for all of the info guys. What parts interchange w/ the newer 302? I was kind of hoping to do like a 4x2 or have a look of the 3x2 that you see on flatheads. I am probably just in a dreamland on the latter set-ups. I am a mopar guy and know not much of the ford stuff. If I were to swap out the tranny would I look for something from a mustang or t-bird that has a manual trans. I love shifting gears in a hot rod, so that is what I am looking for there. Thanks
    Matt

25. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a 48 IDA Weber setup for a 289/302 - kind of marginal for HAMB compliance;) but one of the most bitchin setups IMO. It just screams mid 60's sports racer. Nowadays you can get throttle body setups which emulate the look of the Webers....

[​IMG]

Or you could go for a rare crossram setup - big $$$ either way - I have both types, so if anyone is interested PM me for more info....

[​IMG]

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you want a flatty, get a flatty. If you want to do a 302, do it mid-sixties or later. Dont waste your time trying to make a sbf look like a 50s era motor, it wont. I am building a rod around a 289, I am doing it circa late sixties, because thats when sbf's started getting popular in rods. Pick an era and stick to it, or it will look half-assed.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That looks INCREDIBLE in blue! I have a set of the open letter cobra valve covers myself, but I plan to run the F28 and dual AFB's (also have the carbs) with the Stellings & Hellings re-pops. Love the webers, but too rich for my blood.

28. 63Compact

63Compact

Heres my tri powered windsor it runs 94's on an adaptor to an injected truck manifold base. Cant remember his name but a guy here made them do a search for sbf 3x2 i think.

[​IMG]

29. David Chandler

David Chandler

If all you want to do to it is add carbs, I think you are waisting your money. I've had a number of small block Fords, and in their stock form (2bbl engines) they need help to be able to use the extra cfm. If you are only switching carbs, think about a vacum operated secondary 4bbl around 600 cfm max. I've tired bigger in my day and they simply wouldn't inhale enough to open up the secondaries all the way. This is especially true if your transmission turns out to be an overdrive unit. The rpms at crusing speed simply do not require the added cfms. And stomping on it will only produce lackluster performance. If you have to do something, sort of can't live without it type of thing, find a cheap 500 cfm 2bbl for it.

30. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

eventually would build the 302 up a little, try and get around 400hp. Don't need a monster just want a little. flatties are cool I haven't been able to find one around here that isn't junk, but I am not looking that hard either.
    It will be awhile before I do anything since I don't have a model a or a duece yet. Just want to get some good Ideas. thanks
    Matt