Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm Beside Myself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Feb 21, 2011.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Illinois DMV.

Probably enuf said, and I won't bore you with details. They've really taken the wind out of my sails on principle, and taking a lot of the wind out the sails of our hobby.

Title bonding is understandable to an extent, but I was sent a tax form. This tax form is supposed to have your car's appraised value filled in the blank from what I was led to believe. The form clearly states "total cost of any merchandise purchased outside of Illinois". Seems to me, people are being "tricked" into paying taxes on a car they have already paid all sales tax on items purchased to build the car.

Total cost of all this crap would put me close to $1k to register a car I built myself. I'm getting to the point, I want to cut my pride and joy into pieces because they are digging into my pockets a little too deep for my comfort. Hell, I was lucky enough to scratch enough money together over the last couple years to build this thing in the first place. Too bad, but I'm quickly losing my motivation to continue finishing my other project.

It's just sad that greed is ruining our hobby.:mad:

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Don't let the bastards grind you down. when I finally got my plates and clear title, all was right with the world. I forgot all about how pissed at the state I was the day before.

3. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I'll play their game, but my way. I'll submit my out of state receipts and pay taxes on that value. I know they want me to put the appraised value of the car in that blank, but I will go down fighting on that one.

4. let me look for the right forms on line and I'll make you up an appraisel. I'm guessing that it cant be worth much its not a perfect restoration right? :D

Remember old cars that are not stock are worth almost nothing.

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yeah but they may still try to get you pay like its worth something. The titling process here in Il has become a nightmare.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

The appraisal is a double edge sword, (like an arguement with your wife). I had it appraised at about half retail, but twice $$ I have in it. The form does say wholesale value, something else a lot of people probably don't pick up on to the advantage of the state. You have to be a freakin lawyer to register a home built car.

7. The folks in Springfield do use that damn auction crap on TV to determine the average value of cars and expect you to prove it's worth less. They would levy a value added tax on your if the law would allow. If you can get the papers for a grand, you're damn lucky. I hope to get by for twice that. A couple 40K "T" roadsters and everything is worth that much to them. My car will have no history what so ever nor will it be sellable for more than about 10 grand, but they will insist on everything being accounted for or whatever parts are not accounted for will magically reach that value. I only buy parts locally for the project. Speedway, Drake, or anyone else can't get my money as the state mafia needs their cut. If they don't get it, they will send thugs with guns that hide behind badges to take my property. They will get 15- 20% of the real value of the car so they can keep live like royalty. Niether my Democrat or Republican reps in Springfield have an issue with any of this and will never help the industry or the citizens in any way. I truly look forward to retiring and leaving the eastern U.S.

8. ironpile

ironpile

I`m from Il myself,and am lucky enough to have a clear title for my 48 F 1. Illinois is broke and grabbing for every penny they can. Cook county is the root of all our problems,I vote for them to cecede!!!!!!!:D

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

The same thing happened to me here in Pennsylvania....the thousand & one little pieces of crap I bought out of state. It does "take the wind of one's sails." I ended up "editing" the final figure by about a third (as in creative accounting), but it still cost me about $700. The system just sucks the blood out of you. You're not alone my man, if that's any consolation. Keep the faith, bite the bullet & have fun.

10. 8-Track

8-Track

You should register and title the car when it is a rusty pile of parts, before you put anything into it. it kind of hard for them to put an average price on that.

11. can you file for a title in another state more frendly then transfer to your home state
    in Oregon its a cake walk.

12. grey46

grey46

Ive been thru this twice in the last 2 years ,after months of trying to get it done I ended up selling both cars without titles as the state had mine when I tried to register them,and of course once they have your original paper your screwed. I had a couple of newer cars and just wasnt happy . So I ran across a 1959 Popular (same as an Anglia) . Clear current Tenn title . Since it was a 59 I sent in all the paperwork with a Noterized bill of sale ,and less than 3 weeks latter got my Illinois title .So I have acomplished the near impossible in Illinois have a cool hot rod,and have a good Illinois title .
    Have a buddy been trying to title a stock 29 sedan since March of last year.Went thru the whole bonded title process. Finialy got the S.O.S. inspector to look at it ,took all of 15 minutes got his new vin tag and temp plate,and was told you will have your title in 10 days ,that was 5 weeks ago. They are killing the hobby,at least in central Illinois.

13. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I titled and registered mine before I started. In fact, I was told by EVERYONE I TALKED TO to do that FIRST, because Ontario's no-title registration process is so stupid. I called the MTO five different times and got six different answers... so before I put dime one into it I got the title in my name. I thought I was being a bit paranoid... I suppose perhaps that's a good thing now. But- still, it's really stupid that ANY gov't has this much bureaucratic control over our lives.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  14. I live in Kentucky, home of cars WITH NO wheels and tires and houses WITH wheels and tires. One advantage though is that when I register and license a home built car I take my receipts to DMV in Frankfort (capital) and they make copies of them. They then give me a form that I take to my DMV in my county. I sign a couple forms, hand them $6.00 and they hand me my historic plates and kit car registration (kit car but who gives a crap) and I go home happy.

15. This type of thing is becoming a problem the world over.
    Take a breather, get it done, and all the worries and grief will disapper when your driving your car down the road.

16. CruZer

CruZer

In Mass. they use the Kelly Blue book for antiques to appraise your car.And you pay the sales tax on that whether the car is finished or not. I swapped my 34 3window coupe straight across for a glass 34 roadster,but since legit car dealer wasn't involved,I had to pay sales tax on $26,500 just to register the car.At the time a '34 roadster was valued at between 26,500 and 52K. Good thing they took the lower value !!!!

I sucked it up,paid the damn thing and have been having a ball with the car ever since.But it still pisses me off.

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GOD!! Id love for rego to only cost me 1K, I knew it, I live in the wrong country for this hobby!

Doc.

18. 1ton

1ton

In Illinois they make us eat tax flakes for breakfast. They're not that bad but they give you gas and the gas tax is enflatuated.

19. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

im soooo glad i did the bill of sale to title thing 4 years ago when i bought the AMX. after $75.00 changed hands we were all happy:D

20. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

You've got to be kidding me.
    That is just sickening.

Did someone say already wwhy you can't get an ITS title in another state and xfer it, or is that just another tax situation?

I can't even imagine trying to add up receipts.

21. Noland

Noland

man, I hope I dont have this problem with reconstructing the title for my car, Luckily my father owns a salvage yard, where most of the parts came from anyways. So I can just "adjust" the prices on all the parts down to the bare minimum. I hear pa sucks for titling. Sorry to hear your pain.

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Can't do that, they want an appraisal on a functional vehicle with an inspection within 90 days. I build cars from nickels and dimes because there is a family and house to maintain:rolleyes:, so I'm pretty dejected right now having to write checks to the state and bonding company so I can drive again this season. I don't want to send them too much because anything you overpay is not a mistake to them. I'm sure I won't see the $100 I spent to title the car last year.
    Hell, I'm 40 with a decent job, I can hardly imagine some of the younger guys not being able to afford building a car older than 1948. If a younger guy was interested in this hobby, he sure as hell wouldn't be spending over $1,000 dollars to title his project. I don't think this is the outcome SEMA understood when this Bonding deal was worked out here.