Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Remember why I hate car shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I had my chassis done by a pro shop, I have already fucked up 2 other chassis set ups, so I had this one done. For shame, but a lot of guys on here make a living at that so maybe not so much. I disassembled everything and prepped and painted and reassembled it. Yeah BFD. I did all of my metal work including replacing my floors and did all of my own paint in my plumbing shop. Whoopty freakin do. I did my own sign on the side of the truck, some say it looks like a little kid did it, Freakin fantastic. I bought a few parts made of the evil aluminum and attached them to this hideous morphidite of a thing I love, Oh yeah and I bought a crate engine cause it was about 4 grand cheaper than having a speed shop do it, god forbid. Then I crossed all of the gods from hot rod past and present and put a slushie in it, I swear I heard the lightning from the lords above. So I generally hear a banter of negative comments from both camps, the guys who think an Evo is a hot rod and the guys who know a 32 3 w with an Ardun is one. But I still will go to a show every now and again, put up with all of the Blah Blah Blah, cause I just don't really give a high noon shit what any mumbling gum bumper says. I go there to hang with the half a dozen or so guys who I respect, who are proud of their stuff and enjoy the day. And if I'm real lucky it will be very nice outside and the ladies that all these mouths will have will be wearing skimpy clothes and I can wink and nod no and make funny faces to them as their boyfriends who pluck their eye brows quote BS about cars. :D Truth is, it's very hard to hold your beer properly after you give a guy a face rub, and in the end you're just making him look less feminine, so leave him be.:rolleyes:

2. madhman

madhman

I rarely get dressed up for a car show...

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Im gonna buy a tux

4. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

less fuckin rules more fun

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Gee, I wish I was as tough as you. Don't forget to stick around and tell it like it really is. You must be talking about cars like my trailer Queen, which is never seen a trailer and has only done 6000 miles since this time last year in all weathers.
    Thanks for setting me straight
    Paul

6. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

The other week Im driving back from dropping my wife off at work (runnin the 28 roadster) and on the way back see 4 cars (57 tbird, 50's mercedes convt, 58 lincoln convt, and a v16 cad convt) stopped at one of our tourist stops which is where they filmed Key Largo with Bogart. Nice beautiful cars however I just know having a wealthy exclusive community (private airfield, powerplant, everything) just north that they the owners are from that place and normally feel too good to associate with the likes of regular people. I stop to confirm my thoughts and take a peak in the bar sure enough I can spot them from a mile away in their sweaters and perfect clothes. I go out and take a look at the cars and walk away shaking my head. In the front seat of one was a Laminated instruction sheet on how to start the car. Not only did they have no clue about cars other than the money they spent but they didnt even know how to start it.

On a side note (I worked up there so I could get in when I wanted) they do a show every year where it gives them a chance to show off their vintage stuff (antique cars, boats, and planes) well my Mom and I dressed up in 20's garb and drove the A up there. I did the restoration myself so its far far from perfect but makes a good driver which is what she is. It was very entertaining as they all thought we were "one of them" and finished the evening enjoying a party on someones yacht (somewhere around 100 feet) before we left and drove home.

7. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

What is your point?

Did they trash talk you? Did they cut down what you drive? What did they do to piss you off?

You hung around with them and they were nice to you. So tell me again, who has a chip on their shoulder?

:rolleyes:

Neal

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  8. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Jesus H titty fucking Christ in a sidecar!The inverted snobbery that shows up sometimes on this board never ceases to amaze me. Is nobody allowed to have a nice car that they enjoy showing any more?
    Paul

9. Gator

Gator

Probably same as youngjughead's - who dug up this 3 year old thread. :rolleyes:

10. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

2 seperate events, the first we went to their show and were accecpted as they didn't know we wernt from there they were friendly and inviting. The second was when they "came out" on a tour and were too good to interact with the "locals"

11. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

You think you hate car shows? Try putting on one. You really can't make people happy.

12. papaford60

papaford60
    from illinois

Went to the ford supernationals last year, made some good contacts with owner builders, put my truck in the show as it was cheaper and easier than hauling it all over, wasn't ther for a prize, just a good parking spot, but I noticed all or most of the awards went to pro built stuff, bought and paid for by over aged big mouths: how about an owner builder show with no prizes, just a good time and a place to be proud of your accomplishment. (beer & brats) These jackwagons don't get it, I (as do most true renovators) take pride in our accomplisments, and no my paint isn't perfect, but I can drive to walmart and not worry some ass will scratch my old girl, mines built with love TO drive( like hell), so I say let them talk, we are better than them, and oh, the guy who won a 2nd place last year, saw him broke down outside of Memphis, calling for help, didn't even slow down, karma is a bitch ( Keep it real, Keep haulin ass) Papa

13. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

So let me get this straight, according to the first paragraph in your original post (no.211 )some people that you don't know, and don't know you but who you perceive to be rich went out for a social gathering, which you weren't invited to, which wasn't a car show in four classic vehicles and pissed you off. Somehow?
    So how does that work?
    Paul

14. druids62

druids62

Would somebody please put a bullet in the head of this post! Posers suck in ALL walks of life! If you don't like something or someone, MOVE ON! By the time you rant back and forth a number of times you could have hand built a quick change and mounted it in your next project. It takes all kind to make this hobby to rotate. Repect the efforts, make a new friend, repeat and do again.

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Damned if you do a search, damned if you don't.:D

16. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey Ed, get the fuck out of here with your fancy-schmancey beautifully finished car, you gold chainer:rolleyes:.
    Paul

17. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Fred Boatman had a nicely drawn monthly comic strip in one of the Peterson magazines for a while in the 60s70s (?).. CC Ryder, ARinCee or some similar play on the magazine's name. One theme for a while was a bunch of guys building a dragster. I really liked the technical detail.

I remember one where two (crewcutted) guys were going around a car show, dissing all the cars. Pointing out imaginary orange peel in this ones paint, questioning if the dragster's engine even runs, etc. Last panel is them driving off in tattered convertible (can;t remember if it was a roadster or more like a high school kid's beat up 52 Ford/Chevy first car) blowing smoke, shedding parts. Proving there were critics back then, too.

18. mramc1

mramc1

I haven't been to too many large shows in the past few years. I prefer cruise nights to anything else. I have two or three a week here in Rochester, NY that I go to and just hang out with my friends. One of the bigger cruises got put on hiatus last year for some stupid nonsense involving the owner and another guy, but it was my favorite cruise so I have been kind of bummed. It would draw about 500 cars and bikes on a good night. I wasn't into the new shiny stuff or the imports that would show up, but to each his own. I wouldn't go over to bash their stuff because atleast they are showing up and keeping some kind of interest in cars alive. I drive my old trucks every day when there isn't salt on the roads so they're not clean and definitely not show winners, but I'd go and park them for whoever wanted to see them, like them or not. If people want to come over and bash my junk I really don't care because they make me happy and I built 100% of my rides for less than most guys have in a crate motor or a paint job. And I knock down a 40 mile communte in them every day and rack up a couple of thousand more miles going to far away shows too. Most of the nicer cars I see at the shows the guys are afraid to take them out of their neighborhood if it isn't 75 and sunny for the whole week.

Josh Quick
    Quick Speed Shop

19. To caterogize, generalize, and/or be bias to a particular group, is painting them all with the same swooping brush, which is far more lame, then a select few of their actions. There are good people, and bad people in every aspect of our lives..the old car hobby is no different. Prejudice is simply wrong, let's be bigger then that.

20. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

They didnt piss me off at all, the "car show" that they have is pretty much just a social gathering. If anything I felt pity for them as it seemed they were trying to get out and enjoy the cars they had bought rather than having them simply as trailer queens. However, they seemed to be unable to just relax and have fun being out of their element not just with me but everyone around them.

21. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

yeah, but I really, really, really have nothing better to do and it passes the time. Sad but true :eek:
    Paul

22. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I'm glad for the people who can't build their own cars. I'm currently paying my bills with their help. I'm building a 62 ford unibody for my kid's dentist. No, he isn't mechanical, but he does intend to drive the shit out of it. And he will use it as a truck, so it will have a bedliner sprayed in, and a hitch made for it. Best of all, I'll get a discount at the dentist's office for my kids, both of whom inherited my wife's underbite and will no doubt rack up future bills.

I like shows, to shoot the shit and see whats out there. I walk past the easter eggs and seek out homebuilts to see some creativity. I'll make a little cash striping, meet new people and hang out with the boys. I like rat rods (did I say that out loud???) and the creativity they employ. Yes some are dangerous pieces of shit, but I've seen some god awful work on trophy queens also.

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of attention my truck gets. I like it, drive the shit out of it and work it. If you don't like it, thats fine. I didn't build it for you. I have a good time with my flamethrowers. I don't do impressive burnouts, mainly because my truck won't and those diamondbacks aren't cheap....I had to replace one after I blew it out on the autocross track at Goodguys Charlotte, having a blast and driving the shit out of it. It is fun to hear the comments, and to listen to the uninformed make asses of themselves. I let kids climb in and honk the horns and bells and siren. I don't worry about it, its a real truck.

I feel sorry for the old farts who constantly dust and wax their cars and sit beside it guarding it. It can't be that much fun having to deal with that high a level of maintenence. I wash my whitewalls before the show, then I take a walk. Different strokes, I guess.

I also don't like the Uber traditional crowd who think their shit is better than everyone else's and make fun of people who don't know the spec.s on every prewar car out there. Maybe you should try to educate them in a pleasant way, instead of wanting to punch them in their face and making them look like an ass in front of their friends and kids. There are only a limited number of origional, period correct parts out there....maybe you should be thankful that everyone isn't out there looking for them, driving the prices even higher, so you can afford to build your car the way you want to. I know it is hip to be the rebel and buck the trends and authority, to be more traditional (or radical, or lower, or shinier, or higher H.P., or whatever) than everyone else, and make fun of, or hate on all who aren't as (insert trend here) as you, but by doing so, you make a mockery of yourself and everyone else in your little circle. I can't imagine you can actually be happy hating everyone else just because they aren't like you. If everyone else was just like you, you would be just like everyone else. Just be you, enjoy what you enjoy, build it the way you want it, hang out with the people you want to hang out with, and allow others to do the same.

Can't we all just get along? Do you need a hug?

Boy, aren't those import kids irritating?????

23. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Hey, Paul, nice article on the cart. What a chainer! Having to get other people to work on your truck, like you are handicapped or something!!! These guys must think you are an asshole.

I like it. If I ever make it over to the mother country, I want a ride!

24. hemi

hemi

I'm so awesome that there is only one car show that I go to, and it's the best because it's in my garage and it has the coolest cars that I like and everyone there thinks like me because I'm the only one I let in... :rolleyes:

Papa--- You drove by a fellow hot rodder who was broken down on the side of the road and sneered because he won 2nd place at a show, and THAT's your version of Karma?

You are what you are trying to make fun of....

25. duecesteve

duecesteve

I HATE those stupid "Bumper Dolls" I would like to get a whole bunch of them and as the sayin' goes, "We tied 'em to the car an dragged 'em". LOL!

26. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

And if you ever make it over here, you've got one guaranteed, plus plenty of beer!:D
    Thanks man.
    Paul

27. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Amen!

One thing I told my wife when I got her into the hobby. I said "never ever talk about another persons work."
    Always be a little kinder than necessary.
    If the car is not to my liking I will just walk by.
    That being said I commented on a guys ride that had been kinda thrown together. My wife wondered why he had done this and that. I commented on how I sometimes get rushed and fine tune things later.
    The guy took notice. He started talking to me. Next thing you known I have the guys number and he is paying me to help him.
    After that I told her to keep her trap shut at shows. :rolleyes:

28. mrcob

mrcob

All these posts and I'm still stuck on the guy who said all these angry comments made him feel like he's in "AA for assholes"!

29. I don`t get the whole car judging thing I like old cars. period.I like people who work on old cars (for the most part) If you like something, say so. If you don`t, shut the fuck up and move along.When you put your car in a show you are asking for whatever crap comes down the pipe. I prefer the parking lots outside in alot of cases. Cruise nights are way more fun.

30. 46Steel

46Steel

Food for thought, if you are hungry.

"one mans joy is another mans junk"
    "If we were all the same, what a boring world it would be"
    "It is better to be thought of as a fool ,than open ones mouth and remove all dought"

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.