Register now to get rid of these ads!

226 Flathead to t5 adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patchen1, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Does anyone know who sells this and approx. how much?

2. mainline331

mainline331

I used an adapter made by wilcap, got it through Riley automotive. It is technically for a Flat Eight, but works on the six with the car style bellhouse...Took a while to get it, and think it was around 400 dollars, which is a lot of money, but it is a nice piece and is well worth it...only other thing is that the input shaft seemed slightly too long, so I trimmed off maybe .25 inch (the adapter could stand to be slightly thicker), which doesnt affect the pilot bearing at all. next you need to make a support for the clutch mechanism to pivot on. I used a clevis. Then you need to get a clutch disc with the later style splines, but the small diameter (think I used one from a mustang 2 or some small car from the 70s- got it on ebay NOS )
    If you have access to a mill, it would be easy to make an adapter yourself out of a .75" (as I recall)piece of aluminum...
    OR possibly you could shorten the input shaft of the T5 and and extend the mounting surface of the stock bellhouse, which could work....never heard of anyone doing it, but sure someone has....

3. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

I used an adapter made by Dwight Bond that uses a ford truck hogshead bellhousing and allows you to use stock ford pedals / clutch etc. Contact Dick Spadaro here on the HAMB for everything you need to use this set up.

[​IMG]

4. flatoz

flatoz

dirty dan,

nice motor and set up , you will love the 5 speed, brings the motor to life.

I think the OP was talking about I6 not V8 though.

I haven't seen your adaptor though, can you tell us some more on it.

5. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Get ahold of Gary at Cornhusker Rod and Custom..
    his user name on here is krylon32 .. He is the man on these.... so I heard..

6. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Should have all the parts you need, bell housing, adapter, clutch disc. If interested call 518-861-5367 M-f 9-5 ET

7. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Interesting thread! From looking through the parts books it seems that the H series engines in '48 had the most likely setup - appears to have the parts most like the later car V8 stuff that is typically used. (going from memory of things I looked up a few years ago)

I'm not asking any manufacturers to give up production secrets, but I would be interested in knowing what factory parts are used and what has to be custom made.

Thanks!

8. Patchen, Aircav on the shoeboxford forum was manufacturing an adapter.
    He has spent a bit of time getting it right.