Register now to get rid of these ads!

dulling existing paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUDICE, Feb 20, 2011.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I have a 20 year old lacquer paint job that I had to scuff & buff because of too much orange peal - now I want to make it dull looking like it's been sitting outside for 20 years - I can't find the thread that I think I read to wash the car with something like ajax. Any other ideas please.

2. 3M Scotch Brite pad

3. I know a way to do it, but it takes twenty years.

Actually, back in the late 70s, my kids washed my Buick with dishwashing liquid...it went dull as hell. I had to have it repainted.

4. drive it to Texas or maybe Florida and leave it outside for 20 or so years. be happy with your shiny paint

5. JMD82

JMD82

A grey 3M scotch brite or grey Norton pad will do the trick, if your going for a flat look. The ajax will just be used as a sanding paste.

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

What kind was it?

7. The car was a Century
    The kid was a girl
    The soap was probably palmolive

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Krud Kutter Paint deglosser sold at home centers and house paint stores.
    It will definitly weather the paint!
    Easy to use!

9. Think about this hard.

I did this 6 years ago and I truly regret it.

Maybe reconsider.

BloodyKnuckles

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

son of a.........

11. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

yep.:(

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A nice old lacquer paint job is something to cherish and take care of, why fuck it up deliberately? Sometimes I think guys sit up at night to come up with the next stupid idea to be one of the "club".

Actually if you wash it with something that takes all the wax and polish of it will fade out just the way you want in a week or two of sitting outside. When I first bought my 51 Merc when I was 16 I had to work my ass off to keep the shine in the old Emerald Green Lacquer and if I missed a couple of weeks waxing it it faded right out just about like you think you want.

13. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

My stuff looks like shit..... But I didn't plan it that way

14. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

i got a bucket fulla worn out paint i'll trade for your shiny job;)

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

16. budd

budd

take your car to a coin op car wash and coat it with soap and dont rinse it off, just let it dry.

17. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

keep the car for another 20 years and enjoy the shiny paint for the time being. you will eventually end up with what you want!

18. Monza 1966

Monza 1966
    from Indiana

I've talked to a couple, and seen people that wanted a patina look, not faded, and they had it painted like that. I know that's not what you're asking, but it's not too hard. get a color you want to show through. then paint over in a nice base. while the base is wet, take a scottsbright and wipe it down. I would use the this paint as the base, maybe even do it over the primer, so 3 coats. 1 primer, 1 gray color, and a color you want most of the body to be. So you don't leave primer exposed. anywho I recommend this. I did my Corvair in it. You can always add more flatten agent.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

19. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I hope we are not talkin about the car in your avatar!!!!

20. GREASER815

GREASER815

Why make your car look like it is worn out on purpose? Most of us are trying to buff out the original paint and get it to look as best as it can. And you, are trying to ruin it. Sounds like a waste of a nice shiny paint job to me.

21. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I wish I had a shiney laquer paint job, I got this BS three stage crap that dries hard as a rock and you get gorilla arms trying to polish it out. If you must, rub it with 3000 grit to get it uniform, this should get it dull but not damage it, then in two years when the fad ends you can buff it out and it will revive.

22. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

You can park it in my yard next to my 63 F600.

Every year it goes from shiny red to chalky orange, and then I buff it out.

Wish I could get it under cover.

Greg

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Don’t listen to them, dull that thing up ….. That bandwagon is nowhere near overloaded = KFTC

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  24. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Dawn will kill the shine in a heartbeat, use with green scotchbrite "sponge" from area in store with kitchen cleaning items.

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Seconded, please, pretty please, with fuckin' sugar on top:eek:
    but if you must go through with it, I have heard that dousing paint in gasoline and setting fire to it screws it up pretty good.
    Paul

26. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

faking aged paint is like stuffing a sock down the front of your pants.

27. badshifter

badshifter

Shit if you're gonna do it, do it right. Sandblast it. You'll be the leader of the bandwagon!

28. Sand the finish with 1000 grit sand paper first then steel wool and hand rub with super duty 3m compound. I have used this method on a few cars and it is nearly impossible to tell the paint has been intentionaly aged..........

29. Are you gonna dye your hair grey too?

30. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

The paint on the car really isn't THAT good - we all know how a photo can sometimes make shit look like gold - there's alot on "places" on the aint/body too - All I want to do is try to blend it all together - without hurting the paint - I don't want to scuff it because it's so dam thin now - some primer showing thru and some places painted with a different color of black too - plus I just can't be waxing on it every other week, which is what you have to do with black - I know because I have had black on several cars before. Thanks for all your comments - pro & con.

Attached Files: