Register now to get rid of these ads!

White dots after polish ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nali, Feb 17, 2011.

1. nali

nali

It seems there a some polishing guru here , so ...
    I have something strange ...
    I ve already polished a few parts , cast alu , brass or even cast iron , with great success .
    Now I m polishing parts for a Rambler . The parts from external suppliers ( carb , fuel pump , ignition , etc ) are great . I ve also polished alu parts I casted myself , it was shinny .
    All the parts specific to the Rambler have the same problem : white dots between 1 and 3 mm wide .
    I ve sanded with die grinder and Scotch Brite , then 220 , 400 , etc, up to 2000 , like usual .
    Before buffing it looks nice .
    I ve tried using only Rouge , with different speed , I always have the same problem .
    I suppose the cast is not perfect from the factory , or am I missing something ?
    Exemple : ( not perfect yet , but you have the idea )
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

Its in the casting, it wont ever go away. Ive had parts do the same for me.

Chrome those parts.

3. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

It looks like the part you showed is aluminum, correct?

As stated above, it is in the casting. Most likely in part due to the poor quality metal used originally combined with the age of the parts and years of contaminants. Still plateable.

4. nali

nali

Ok . Thanks .
    That s what I though .... At least it s not my fault :p
    I ll give a last try , polish inside . Just to make sure it s not pitting .
    I don t have money for chrome . And it s not a show car . So I ll powdercoat as is and nobody will know .
    Thanks a lot .
    Phil

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Best final cleaning after polishing most any metal is a soft cloth and cornstarch.
    Dave

6. nali

nali

I use Autosol , same thing under the Mirror brand in europe , it works great .
    Really great ...

7. tikistan

tikistan

Did you acid wash them first? I had the same issue before, I cleaned the parts with some mag wheel cleaner before polishing. It helped a little. Rinse it off when it is foamy though, other wise if you let it dry out it turns black and is a bummer to buff. Worth a try but be careful with it, it will discolor any thing it touches. Good luck.

8. nali

nali

Didn t d anything before . No sand blast , no acid , nothing .The car was stock , I m the first owner to restore it . I had already polished the same parts 5 years ago with the same result . I tough I had make a mistake ...
    I really think it s a casting issue now :(
    I ll call Chrysler for a refund :)

It belong to a old lady , a guy had it for 3 months and sold it without drivind it . So I m quite the second real owner . It s a OT car , it s a 1966 ..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  9. tikistan

tikistan

Cool, Maybe try the acid wash next time! who knows it might help. Good luck.

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i had a problem with contaminated metal . bubble paint . just seems to be the way it is . cant seem to seal mine ............... steve

11. nali

nali

I cleaned with Autosol just after polish, and this didn t remove the dots , so it may be in the cast itself ..

Steve : maybe try cleaning before paint the same way we clean alu before powdercoat .
    In the oven 40 or 60 min at 400 F , then degrease with acetone .